What's new

Xfinity modem / router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

usamario

Regular Contributor
Hi
I am having trouble with one of two Xfinity Home Security cameras, I had 3 different Xfinity technicians in my house in the last 10 days. My only instructions before they do anything is that I am not willing to pay for something I already paid and of course I still have the issue.
The last one wanted to install theeir new EMTA.

My question is:
I have ARIS TM822g and a Netgear R700, everything works fine except for the camera,
Would upgrading my modem improve my wireless connection or my Ethernet network?
What would I gain by upgrading the modem?
Thank you for any help you provide.
Mario

Well, I also have an Arris TM822g, and it's working great, including the VoIP phone service. We have 200Mbps/10Mbps provisioned at 240Mbps/12Mbps, we're getting that with the Arris modem. Don't have any security cameras, though. My opinion from my experience here is that unless you aren't getting the full speed that you're paying for with the Arris, then you're not going to gain anything by upgrading your modem. If you're not getting full speed, then you need a modem with more bonded channels (the Arris you have has 8, about 35Mbps per channel), not a new EMTA. The EMTA piece of the modem is there for the VoIP phone service, that's all it does, and the Arris EMTA is working fine here.

The other way that upgrading your modem would help is if Comcast is offering DOCSIS 3.1 and your modem is DOCSIS 3.0 like the Arris. They don't have DOCSIS 3.1 around here yet, but it has been deployed in several areas as I've read. You might check to see if you can use DOCSIS 3.1, but other than those two situations, I don't think that upgrading your modem will help you.

I am having trouble with one of two Xfinity Home Security cameras, I had 3 different Xfinity technicians in my house in the last 10 days. My only instructions before they do anything is that I am not willing to pay for something I already paid and of course I still have the issue.
The last one wanted to install theeir new EMTA.

My question is:
I have ARIS TM822g and a Netgear R700, everything works fine except for the camera,
Would upgrading my modem improve my wireless connection or my Ethernet network?
What would I gain by upgrading the modem?

If you've bridged the TM822G Residential GW (converting it to modem only), and using the R7000 as a Router, this might be your problem.

What I would suggest is revert the TM822G temporarily back to being the primary GW, and connect the Comcast Home Security Cameras through it - and see if the problem resolves itself.

If it does - then you have a valid data point as to which ports may need to be forwarded for the cameras to continue to work if the TM822G is bridged, and then configure the R7000 appropriately..

If you've bridged the TM822G Residential GW (converting it to modem only), and using the R7000 as a Router, this might be your problem.

What I would suggest is revert the TM822G temporarily back to being the primary GW, and connect the Comcast Home Security Cameras through it - and see if the problem resolves itself.

If it does - then you have a valid data point as to which ports may need to be forwarded for the cameras to continue to work if the TM822G is bridged, and then configure the R7000 appropriately..
====
Hi, thank you for replying
You mean connect the Xfinity gateway directly to the modem and my router to the Xfinity gateway?
Thank you for your help
Mario

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!