What's new

XG1v4 DVR / XG2v2 STB and Moca 2.0 home network setup advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The Commscope's specs seem to indicate that MoCA should be able to communicate between all of the output ports, including the passive VOIP port -- and appear effectively the same as the PPC.

What I don't know is how a power inserter, potentially part of a coax connection to the "Power In" Output port might affect MoCA communication. One would hope that a MoCA amp would only be shipped with a power inserter spec'd for the full cable+MoCA frequency range.
Ya I’m not using the power inserter connection that makes use of the RF+POWER port. I’m just using the port that’s only labeled for power in and going direction from power outlet>power supply>coax>to power in port. I did see there were other odd ways to deliver the power, but there all only to be used if you don’t actually have a power outlet at the location the amp is mounted (not my case).

It’s worth mentioning that prior to putting the new amp in this morning, all the X1 devices didn’t even report an active MOCA connection, the MOCA page on the X1 service menu of each box was just blank. Not the case anymore. Now they all show MOCA active, but no link. Obviously the no link is more then likely due to the DVR and XG2 both being connected to the “device port” on the relevant MOCA adapters.
It would be worthwhile seeing how the boxes behavior and/or status information changes were you to connect the X1 boxes using splitters, rather than the MoCA adapter pass-through.

Also, my att fiber/ip network is not bridges in anyway with the xfinity network so to speak. The att network only consists of ethernet cables... except for the moca link over the coax in order to bridge the two floors of my house in which I can’t easily run new cable. There’s zero concern about my att internet and xfinity internet service being in the same network.
Right, so long as the "AT&T" MoCA network has privacy enabled and configured, no Xfinity device should be able to connect to it, and vice versa.

Ya I’m not using the power inserter connection that makes use of the RF+POWER port. I’m just using the port that’s only labeled for power in and going direction from power outlet>power supply>coax>to power in port. I did see there were other odd ways to deliver the power, but there all only to be used if you don’t actually have a power outlet at the location the amp is mounted (not my case).
Right. Then Output 1 should be no different than the other output ports in terms of MoCA connectivity.

Just be sure to cap any unused amp outputs with 75-ohm terminators.

Yea holland is so good it even gets supplied when you buy a set of actiontech 2.0 bonded moca kit. I was pleasantly surprised to see a company supply me with some. I bought the actiontechs as additions to my current moca network.

It’s worth mentioning that prior to putting the new amp in this morning, all the X1 devices didn’t even report an active MOCA connection, the MOCA page on the X1 service menu of each box was just blank. Not the case anymore. Now they all show MOCA active, but no link. Obviously the no link is more then likely due to the DVR and XG2 both being connected to the “device port” on the relevant MOCA adapters.
Magically, all my X1 boxes and still play back off the DVR despite every X1 box claiming to have MOCA enabled, but with no actual link on any of them. This is why I’m still making use of the “device port” instead of using a MOCA splitter, because it appears the X1 boxes don’t actually require MOCA to function at all.
So how about installing a MoCA filter on the coax port of each of the X1 boxes and the X1 gateway? Wouldn't this then ensure that only your standalone MoCA adapters are competing for the MoCA spectrum, and allowing the MoCA 2.5 adapters access to the full spectrum? (You'd want to configure the goCoax adapters with privacy, still, but configured for "Extended Band D," rather than just D-High.)

So how about installing a MoCA filter on the coax port of each of the X1 boxes and the X1 gateway? Wouldn't this then ensure that only your standalone MoCA adapters are competing for the MoCA spectrum, and allowing the MoCA 2.5 adapters access to the full spectrum?
This is a good suggestion for attenuating the signal.

So how about installing a MoCA filter on the coax port of each of the X1 boxes and the X1 gateway? Wouldn't this then ensure that only your standalone MoCA adapters are competing for the MoCA spectrum, and allowing the MoCA 2.5 adapters access to the full spectrum? (You'd want to configure the goCoax adapters with privacy, still, but configured for "Extended Band D," rather than just D-High.)
Where is a good place to buy the gocoax at?

I got some additional moca filters from the tech this morning just incase someone still felt this was a good thing to do. Not sure it’s gonna matter a whole lot, but I can do it.

goCoax again has their adapters in stock. Did you ever replace your MM1000 adapters with the goCoax adapters?
Long time ago. I got two from someone in this thread. They’ve been working great. Had to set them up on d-band high to keep them stable. I also isolated all the X1 boxes for the hell of it. Even after the isolation, the gocoax didn’t work well with default settings so d-band high they stay.

Long time ago. I got two from someone in this thread. They’ve been working great. Had to set them up on d-band high to keep them stable. I also isolated all the X1 boxes for the hell of it. Even after the isolation, the gocoax didn’t work well with default settings so d-band high they stay.

Glad you're happy with the goCoax adapters. Do they seem to give you a full gigabit connection?

Glad you're happy with the goCoax adapters. Do they seem to give you a full gigabit connection?

Yes, full gigabit if not a little more. I honestly don’t even have a computer or device cable of saturating a gigabit link to test it.

Attachments

• 2705FB33-8172-434D-B023-71C301934706.png
    2705FB33-8172-434D-B023-71C301934706.png
    96.2 KB · Views: 250
Yes, full gigabit if not a little more. I honestly don’t even have a computer or device cable of saturating a gigabit link to test it.
It would be interesting to run some iperf tests simultaneously and compare the results to the MM1000 units in the same configuration. But overall it sounds like they work great. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!