What's new

XR500 or R7800

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gp-se

Regular Contributor
Hey guys, I live in Canada and finding the R7800 is very hard compared to finding the XR500. From what I have researched the hardware is the same just the firmware is different? The price for the XR500 is $20 cheaper than the R7800, should I get the XR500 instead of the R7800? I am not a gamer, just looking for a solid router so I don't have to use my ISP gateway (XB6). Does the XR500 allow me to use fq_codel and DNS DoH, etc? Would I be better of getting an ASUS 86U for $60 cheaper?

Get the R7800, you have flexibility to use stock FW or Voxels FW or DD-WRT or OpenWRT FW for extended support. Voxels FW and Kamoj's add on can help you configure many items on the router including QoS.

Check the specs between the R7800 and Asus router. If you just need a good router, I presume either would work. You can also do this, disable the wifi radios on the router, and install a higher speed mode supporting wifi like Orbi MESH or any other wifi system in AP mode and use the R7800 or ASUS router has you main host router, leaving the wifi up for use with higher speed mode wifi systems. I have a Orbi AX system in AP mode connected to my R7800 currently.

Good Luck. ;)

I couldn't find a R7800 in Canada for a reasonable price so I ended up getting a Synology rt2600ac, so far it is working great!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!