What's new

XR500 updating

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Killhippie

I've been running my XR500 for the last day and a bit now, and its such a different beast from the r7800, and there is some wording I'm a bit confused by.
It says 'Enable router to automatically update to future firmware. This keeps your router up to date with the latest features and security fixes' There is a an 'I agree' marker for this to be enabled and comes enabled by default. So does mean you are told when there is an update or does this router actually auto update? So far loving DumaOS such a change from the Netgear's admin console and the QoS for my needs are very flexible. So much more than a skin over a Netgear router.

I bet enabling that option automatically upgrades the firmware. Netgear automatically updates Orbi Firmware as well.

In case you are interested:

In Orbi WebUI or App there is no menu item to enable/disable auto-update but it can disabled from command line upon accessing via telnet.

Orbi will display that a new firmware is available for a short time in the WebUI so the user can trigger upgrade. If the user has not triggered upgrade after some waiting period (like a day or so) the auto update takes place. Netgear has the Orbi push disabled for the latest 2.1 version due to some user issues.

I bet enabling that option automatically upgrades the firmware. Netgear automatically updates Orbi Firmware as well.

In case you are interested:

In Orbi WebUI or App there is no menu item to enable/disable auto-update but it can disabled from command line upon accessing via telnet.

Orbi will display that a new firmware is available for a short time in the WebUI so the user can trigger upgrade. If the user has not triggered upgrade after some waiting period (like a day or so) the auto update takes place. Netgear has the Orbi push disabled for the latest 2.1 version due to some user issues.
I checked it seems it's a poorly worded 'yes notify me of updates' but it could be like the Orbi update feature its not very clear although you can disagree to this feature! I cant be sure, so I will ask Netgear Guy on Monday.

Last edited:
That sounds like what the Orbi does without giving the user a choice, auto-updates. As long as Netgear releases bug-free firmware, auto-update will make your life easier. However, Netgear doesn't *smile*, no mfr. does. Presumably you can leave it checked until you run into a problem, uncheck it and go back to a previous version that didn't have the bug that brought your network to it's knees.

Then you can stay on the previous version until the next version comes along, and you can see if your bug is fixed at that point, and turn auto-update back on if appropriate. As the owner of an Orbi, I'd really love to have the option of turning off auto-update...I'd most likely still be using the Orbi if Netgear had thought to add that feature to the Orbi firmware.

That sounds like what the Orbi does without giving the user a choice, auto-updates. As long as Netgear releases bug-free firmware, auto-update will make your life easier. However, Netgear doesn't *smile*, no mfr. does. Presumably you can leave it checked until you run into a problem, uncheck it and go back to a previous version that didn't have the bug that brought your network to it's knees.

Then you can stay on the previous version until the next version comes along, and you can see if your bug is fixed at that point, and turn auto-update back on if appropriate. As the owner of an Orbi, I'd really love to have the option of turning off auto-update...I'd most likely still be using the Orbi if Netgear had thought to add that feature to the Orbi firmware.
It does sound like that as you say, but with the option to disagree, and as we know updates are never bug free. This time round we have Netgear fixes and DumaOS team fixes as well on this device.

I will amention this to the Netduma team, they seem a friendly bunch and were saying its very easy to develop DumaOS so maybe they can at least make this ambiguous update statement clearer. I will say the interface and fine tuning that can be down is such a refresh from netgears admin, even though their are some similarities with basic functions (They I imagine have to keep it inline with other Netgar routers) its also astoundingly different, and they seem very open to ideas and changes. So maybe this is at last a good thing. Time will tell. At least its not just Netgear now to talk to rather like with Voxel and his work, and they are quick to pass back to Netgear themselves when bugs are found.

Last edited:
Well I got confirmation from the netduma team

"No worries, so it's a completely automatic process. If you have it set to agree then whenever there is a new firmware available it will update to it automatically without your input. I believe it would do this during the middle of the night to minimise impact on users. If disabled then it will only update when you make it do so." So it has more control so you don't end up with an update messing things up, simply by not agreeing to this function so its back to manual updates.

Well I got confirmation from the netduma team

"No worries, so it's a completely automatic process. If you have it set to agree then whenever there is a new firmware available it will update to it automatically without your input. I believe it would do this during the middle of the night to minimise impact on users. If disabled then it will only update when you make it do so." So it has more control so you don't end up with an update messing things up, simply by not agreeing to this function so its back to manual updates.

Sounds like what I was looking for on the Orbi. Maybe they'll add that to the Orbi, one can only hope. I'm in favor of auto-update when the firmware works for you, so make that a default (checked). But then, when it doesn't work, you have recourse. What a concept, actually sounds user oriented *smile*.

Sounds like what I was looking for on the Orbi. Maybe they'll add that to the Orbi, one can only hope. I'm in favor of auto-update when the firmware works for you, so make that a default (checked). But then, when it doesn't work, you have recourse. What a concept, actually sounds user oriented *smile*.
I have and then if it goes wrong I can back peddle until things are sorted. User orientated, this term sounds like voodoo :D

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!