What's new

XT8 - disconnects daily

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ChibaK

Occasional Visitor
Hi All,

Hoping to get some advice. My setup is cable company modem -hardwired cable-> XT8 in AP ->wireless ->Node

Things in general has been stable for the last 1.5 yrs; however in the last month the XT8 started to act weirdly. (auto update is OFF)

The XT8 would disconnect from my modem (1 or 2 times a day), and be unable to reconnect to it (red light). I would have to manually turn off/on the XT8 for it to reconnect.

During a disconnect, the node would remain connected to the primary XT8.

I have checked with the cable company and they advised that there has been no disconnects shown in their logs. Furthermore they have turned the WIFI back on the modem and asked me to check if the modem goes 'down' when the XT8 disconnects. Based on simple phone testing (i.e. I see the XT8 'no internet', I switch my wifi on my phone to the modem), there seems to be no problem with the modem.

Anyone have a similar experience?

Should I try:
a) switching the node as the primary?
b) update firmware? (it's a V1, so maybe update to 3.0.0.4.388.22525 ? I hear it is fairly stable)

Thanks.

I experienced the same issue with my XT8 until I got the 22525 update, and sofar with the even later update stability has not been an issue, I had 30+days uptime on 22525, then moved to the other update before upgrading to the xt12 so I could upgrade the wifi at my other house with the XT8. Sofar there have been no complaints from my Wife and Kiddos with the move from CT8 to XT8 (with the newest update). Also definitely worth doing a hard factory reset/wipe after updating the firmware.

both. bring them both down, and then reset one by one in the normal order of primary, then adding nodes.
and might as well bring the firmware up to date.
Do not load a previous config file to either the reset or the firmware update. configure by hand.

The XT8 would disconnect from my modem (1 or 2 times a day), and be unable to reconnect to it (red light).

This sounds like modem to router issue and not AiMesh. Check the logs for common ISP DHCP related messages.

You can play with this setting in WAN:

1687187988355.png

both. bring them both down, and then reset one by one in the normal order of primary, then adding nodes.
and might as well bring the firmware up to date.
Do not load a previous config file to either the reset or the firmware update. configure by hand.

Thanks @degrub .

Time for lots of screenshots.

I don't suggest screenshots (on their own) unless you're also using a Word/text file which you can copy/paste settings from too.

Screenshots on their own make for a very slow way to bring a router up to speed after a full reset.

I don't suggest screenshots (on their own) unless you're also using a Word/text file which you can copy/paste settings from too.

Screenshots on their own make for a very slow way to bring a router up to speed after a full reset.

@L&LD, combo of screenshots and text file it is :)

While I was taking screenshots and copying items last night, the primary disconnected. I took at the systems log and there was a line noting it was out of memory. I took a look at the memory usage after restarting, and it was already in the 80% used range. That may be the reason why it was disconnecting daily, and requiring turning the power off and on.

I updated the firmware on both the primary and the node last night to 3.0.0.4.388.22525, and knock on wood, things have been stable so far.

I also reduced DCHP query frequency from Aggressive to Normal; reading online, it appears that some ISPs don't like too many queries (?).

Finally the Asus Router app on my phone also updated to reflect the firmware update (?). NOTE: It appears to be buggy, as the app was unable to reach my system just moments ago (while I was able to 20 mins earlier). Also I know the XT8 is working as I am still able remotely connect to my other devices which is connected to it. Weird.

Fingers crossed for stability!

While I was taking screenshots and copying items last night, the primary disconnected. I took at the systems log and there was a line noting it was out of memory. I took a look at the memory usage after restarting, and it was already in the 80% used range. That may be the reason why it was disconnecting daily, and requiring turning the power off and on.

I updated the firmware on both the primary and the node last night to 3.0.0.4.388.22525, and knock on wood, things have been stable so far.

I also reduced DCHP query frequency from Aggressive to Normal; reading online, it appears that some ISPs don't like too many queries (?).

Finally the Asus Router app on my phone also updated to reflect the firmware update (?). NOTE: It appears to be buggy, as the app was unable to reach my system just moments ago (while I was able to 20 mins earlier). Also I know the XT8 is working as I am still able remotely connect to my other devices which is connected to it. Weird.

Fingers crossed for stability!
Here's to hoping for proper stability for you! I know with the 22525 I did have upwards of 30 days of stability before a thunderstorm rebooted the device, and of course I moved to the newer firmware, but Definitely if 22525 keeps you stable, stick with it till you see another/newer build that has a lot of security fix's being mitigated which is always the reason I look to upgrade/update the firmware.

Another quick update. Things seem stable, until today :(

My irrigation system (b-hyve) keeps disconnecting today, for no reason. Plug/unplug or wifi connection update on its app reconnects it.

My other 2.4ghz smart home stuff seems fine. I will double check the XT8 settings tonight to see that's wrong.

Another quick update. Things seem stable, until today :(

My irrigation system (b-hyve) keeps disconnecting today, for no reason. Plug/unplug or wifi connection update on its app reconnects it.

My other 2.4ghz smart home stuff seems fine. I will double check the XT8 settings tonight to see that's wrong.
Seems like some 2.4ghz devices just like to fall off after an extended amount of time, I tend to find that after a bit of troubleshooting a reboot typically fixed it for me. Typically it's the devices that are on the edge of the networks that I manage.

Seems like some 2.4ghz devices just like to fall off after an extended amount of time, I tend to find that after a bit of troubleshooting a reboot typically fixed it for me. Typically it's the devices that are on the edge of the networks that I manage.
It's less than 10m away from the closest XT8, so unsure why it is happening.

My initial guess it may be trying to connect to the further node instead for some reason... I may change the dbm of the primary and node so there's more distinction between them.

Worst case maybe I should get a smart plug, and turn that off/on every time the b-hyve disconnects XD

It's less than 10m away from the closest XT8, so unsure why it is happening.

My initial guess it may be trying to connect to the further node instead for some reason... I may change the dbm of the primary and node so there's more distinction between them.

Worst case maybe I should get a smart plug, and turn that off/on every time the b-hyve disconnects XD
Actually, you can bind it to the closest node from the aimesh screen, just click on the little double lock icon to the top right of the device. this will prevent it from jumping around.
1689099237992.png

Actually, you can bind it to the closest node from the aimesh screen, just click on the little double lock icon to the top right of the device. this will prevent it from jumping around.
View attachment 51661

Thanks. Just did it using "Bind to AP" on the Asus phone app. Fingers crossed.

Update: It seems the switching between primary and node was the case of the drop off. Since binding the AP, there has been no issues (it changes between "OK" and "Great" for connection though).

Last edited:
Just wanted to give another update. As of 9 August 2023 (almost 2 months), everything appears stable.

"Bind to AP" to my home devices has been working perfectly for my home control devices, as it no longer tries to jump between my primary and node.

Checking with my Asus app, these devices do reconnect with the XT8 every periodically, likely to refresh their connections (there's a better way of saying it, but forgot the terminology). However these are not noticeable and appears to reconnect very fast, thus not showing up as disconnects.

Happy that this firmware version is stable!

Just wanted to give another update. As of 9 August 2023 (almost 2 months), everything appears stable.

"Bind to AP" to my home devices has been working perfectly for my home control devices, as it no longer tries to jump between my primary and node.

Checking with my Asus app, these devices do reconnect with the XT8 every periodically, likely to refresh their connections (there's a better way of saying it, but forgot the terminology). However these are not noticeable and appears to reconnect very fast, thus not showing up as disconnects.

Happy that this firmware version is stable!
Awesome! I am happy to hear that :)

One final update to end the thread.

The update has been going strong for me. I see a disconnect every once in long while when I check using the phone app (either its my phone disconnecting or there is a short disconnect between my cable modem and the XT8), but it only lasts a few seconds. I can live with that.

:)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!