What's new

XT8 Firmware Upgrade Best Practices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fairmarketvalue

Occasional Visitor
OK, I know I've seen this topic before - I just can't find it after a forum search. I have a pair of XT8's running the 45898 firmware, with a blinking light telling me the new firmware, 45934, is available. I've decided to give the new version a go, and in the past have just hit "upgrade firmware" and let the units do their thing. However, I now understand it's wiser to do a factory reset (to default?) in the process. If that's the case, which should I do first (after saving my settings)? Should I upgrade then reset each unit, or reset each to factory default first, and then go back and upgrade the firmware of each and then re-pair them? Also, what's the best way to reset? I've seen Asus guidance talking about pressing the WPS button on each unit, while comments here suggest the old paperclip-to-reset button process. TIA for any help.

Also, what's the best way to reset? I've seen Asus guidance talking about pressing the WPS button on each unit, while comments here suggest the old paperclip-to-reset button process.
Do the reset only like this:
This is the most correct way for an XT8 AiMesh.

P.S. I upgraded the router XT8 and node XT8 from 45898 to 45934 without resets - everything I need works normally...

Last edited:
OK, I know I've seen this topic before - I just can't find it after a forum search. I have a pair of XT8's running the 45898 firmware, with a blinking light telling me the new firmware, 45934, is available. I've decided to give the new version a go, and in the past have just hit "upgrade firmware" and let the units do their thing. However, I now understand it's wiser to do a factory reset (to default?) in the process. If that's the case, which should I do first (after saving my settings)? Should I upgrade then reset each unit, or reset each to factory default first, and then go back and upgrade the firmware of each and then re-pair them? Also, what's the best way to reset? I've seen Asus guidance talking about pressing the WPS button on each unit, while comments here suggest the old paperclip-to-reset button process. TIA for any help.
No need to reset if upgrading Asus to Asus firmware. Still, a good idea to save system settings just-in-case you feel a need to roll back the firmware.

Edit: You can also turn on Auto Upgrades and let the router upgrade itself. Best to reset the upgrade time to other than 0200 if you live in an area that has Daylight Savings Time.

Reset FAQ
Reset Button/webUI Restore
WPS Button Hard Reset

If no reset and weirdness happens, re-commission your network... firmware, reset that firmware (I remove the remote nodes from the AiMesh to automatically reset them, and I use the webUI Restore with Initialize on the router node), and then configure that firmware from scratch.

Since the evolution of AiMesh, I've been resetting and configuring from scratch... takes about 15 minutes for my usage... and then I can get on with discovering any new firmware behaviors without wondering about the firmware install.

That said, I've been running a dirty upgrade of the most recent/July AC86U firmware without any doubts, waiting for the next release to drop... which I will reset because Asus is supposedly rewriting some code to make it their own for licensing reasons, so I'll start from scratch with that.

OE

Last edited:
I'm a reset button fan, myself. Do the firmware upload, then press the reset button on the bottom of the node XT8 first. And the press the reset button on the bottom of the router node. Both nodes will stabilize with the LED showing blue. Then you're ready to set up the mesh again. I usually use the Asus Router app to do that, it's a really easy way to do it. Then use the webadmin interface to do the rest of the settings that I need.

This has worked for me consistently over all the many firmware flashes I've done *smile*. Also do manual reconfiguration after the reset and setting up the mesh again. I've had enough problems with config files when changing firmware that I don't bother with them any more. If I'm resetting and keeping the same firmware then I can use a config file, but otherwise, no.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!