What's new

Xt8 RT-AX95Q Merlin enquiry

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rsingh

New Around Here
Was considering getting the asus xt8 and wanted to flash it to the Gnuton Merlin fork
- was wondering when i get it should i update the stock firmware before I flash it to the lastest Gnuton latest firmware?

- Also I am going to get the 2 pack mesh system, do I just flash it and have one unit connected to the other one to flash both?

- Finally if I flash it will still have the trend micro parental web filter from the stock firmware?

Your help would be much appreciated, new to the scene

1) no need to update the stock firmware.. you can just switch to Merlin..

2) it is better to flash both. if still dont want, its ok..

3) yes it still has trend micro parental..

- Also I am going to get the 2 pack mesh system, do I just flash it and have one unit connected to the other one to flash both?

If your backhaul is wireless - you have to experiment. Flash both to Merlin's fork and test the system. If you have issues - flash the node with stock Asuswrt and test again. If you still have issues - use stock Asuswrt on both units. I know extra features in Asuswrt-Merlin are tempting, but in my experience it breaks wireless node discovery in AiMesh. If your backhaul is wired, just flash both to Merlin's fork and you're good to go.

If your backhaul is wireless - you have to experiment. Flash both to Merlin's fork and test the system. If you have issues - flash the node with stock Asuswrt and test again. If you still have issues - use stock Asuswrt on both units. I know extra features in Asuswrt-Merlin are tempting, but in my experience it breaks wireless node discovery in AiMesh. If your backhaul is wired, just flash both to Merlin's fork and you're good to go.

The wireless discovery is only an issue the first time so you can collocate the node and use a jumper cable to create the association and then use wireless backhaul if you like. I've found it best to run stock on the nodes for stability and also ease of firmware updates.

1) no need to update the stock firmware.. you can just switch to Merlin..

2) it is better to flash both. if still dont want, its ok..

3) yes it still has trend micro parental..
Please help me find the right download file for Zenwifi XT-8 I have been looking for hours?! Also Merlin is not possible for Zenwifimini CD6R right? Because I have those in my network too.

File name is RT-AX95Q_386.07_2-gnuton1_cferom_puresqubi.w
Thank you!
It works much better than the stock.

How come it doesn't have its own filename? I suppose it's the same hardware as the RT-AX95Q but where should I have found this out if I didn't ask you? I had a really hard time trying to find any kind of compatibility chart, nomenclature, and download links. I still dont understand what this suffix cferom_puresqubi.w means and why it seems like this was the only version that had that and if that is what I needed and so on.

How come it doesn't have its own filename?

The file name is correct. 2x AX95Q (actual model) routers make one ZenWiFi AX (marketing name), also known as XT8. Asus likes to confuse the customers with different names of the same product or different products based on all the same hardware.