What's new

XT8 with 1gb fiber issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tried powerline and it slowed the speeds to the client devices down way too much. I'm just wanting to free up the faster AX 5-2 band for my AX devices instead of backhaul WITHOUT having to drill holes throughout my house to run CAT6 from one side of the house to the other. What about MoCA 2.5gbps adapters?

MoCA 2.5 is great, that's what I'm using. Good to 2.5Gbps, very fast. The adapters that I'm using are the goCoax MoCA 2.5 ones, they've been in service for several years now. Have been reliable since I started using them.

i'm using a pair of GOCOAX 2.5s for my homerun from the ONT to the ISP router (ATT).
Full 940 Mbit.s both ways on RG6

Do you have cable TV or DOCCIS 3.1 running on the cable now ?
IF DOCCIS3.1. you will give up at least 1 of the 5 moca bands used for MOCA 2.5, so Gbit might be restricted depending on the overlap.

MoCA 2.5 is great, that's what I'm using. Good to 2.5Gbps, very fast. The adapters that I'm using are the goCoax MoCA 2.5 ones, they've been in service for several years now. Have been reliable since I started using them.

Ya know... I think I'll try that. The house is wired for coax (RG-59 :(). I'm using one run to bring DOCCIS3.1 cable Internet to my router; and another run plus an outdoor extension into a semi-detached garage attic to two combined antennas to bring OTA TV to my media center (with ASUS Ethernet switch). My AiMesh node is in the garage below the TV antennas. Maybe I can use the TV antenna coax with MOCA as a wired backhaul. This could be cheap fun.

MA2500D | goCoax

OE

RG-59 cable should be fine. Not clear to me if you'll be mixing DOCSIS 3.1 and MoCA 2.0, though, on the same cable. If so, it might be more complicated, requiring some configuration of the MoCA adapters, since DOCSIS 3.1 can overlap with the default MoCA frequencies. I have confidence, though, that you'll figure it all out *smile*.

Easy for us, since we have fiber and no TV associated with the fiber, the coax network is only used for MoCA. Works well with everything defaulted, of course.

Not clear to me if you'll be mixing DOCSIS 3.1 and MoCA 2.0, though, on the same cable.

No, I believe the TV antenna coax and Internet coax are separate runs from the outside coax box where I can hookup the cables I want to energize.

I have a pre-amp on the TV antennas to boost the signal for the run into the house... powered by an 'injector' at the TV end. Hopefully that will not be an issue(?). I'll have to do some reading.

OE

you will need to make sure there are no splitters in the moca signal path or replace them with MOCA2 certified.
The TV band pass through ports on the moca modems will count as additional signal insertion loss of course. The pass through is not amplified. i am using a CM7777 V2 low noise pre amp. The current versions include LTE filter built in.

you will need to make sure there are no splitters in the moca signal path or replace them with MOCA2 certified.
The TV band pass through ports on the moca modems will count as additional signal insertion loss of course. The pass through is not amplified. i am using a CM7777 V2 low noise pre amp. The current versions include LTE filter built in.

No splitters now but I will have to share the coax at each end... either with a 2-way splitter or whatever might be built-in to the MOCA box... haven't looked into it yet.

I'm using an RCA TVPRAMP1R Outdoor Antenna Preamplifier and Winegard antenna combiner CC-7870... in the attic... don't know if either filters LTE... signals are strong from two directions about 90d apart. I also have not grounded those antennas, thinking they are relatively safe in an attic. The short run of outdoor RG-6 coax I added is fairly well tucked away under siding/soffet and/or against the building. Unlike Ethernet, MOCA looks to be encrypted, so that should be good outside.

I may not use the Ethernet switch at the media center and instead, run a short coax to the router to connect the MOCA box directly to the AX86U's 2.5 port... see how that behaves... may be less troublesome then routing the backhaul through a switch.

/thinking out loud

OE

i run both moca 2.0 and TV over the same RG6 with the Actiontec 6200 pair. The modems are invisible on the ethernet side. So on one end - TV antenna coax in TV/AUX port, RG6 main into coax port, lan port into modem ethernet port. Other end, same thing. Just make sure the moca 2.0 / 2.5 modem you select has the AUX/TV port in addition to the main Coax port for moca. Some do not.

The MOCA signal should not be leaking out to the antennas as the TV out/in is filtered well. If you have any concern you can use a MOCA POE filter rated for 2.0/2.5 but it should not be needed. The TV bands are not amplified by the MOCA modem. The MOCA signal has around 40dB of budget as i recall. @krkaufman is heavily into the gritty low level details from his posts.

There may be some moca modems that support a 2.5 Gb ethernet connection, but i have not tested. The GOCOAX moca 2.5s that i have are 1 Gbit ethernet ported and i get full bandwith (940Mbit/s) both directions with 1 Gbit ATT fiber.. Unless you really have a lot of packets to push quickly .....

i run both moca 2.0 and TV over the same RG6 with the Actiontec 6200 pair. The modems are invisible on the ethernet side. So on one end - TV antenna coax in TV/AUX port, RG6 main into coax port, lan port into modem ethernet port. Other end, same thing. Just make sure the moca 2.0 / 2.5 modem you select has the AUX/TV port in addition to the main Coax port for moca. Some do not.

The MOCA signal should not be leaking out to the antennas as the TV out/in is filtered well. If you have any concern you can use a MOCA POE filter rated for 2.0/2.5 but it should not be needed. The TV bands are not amplified by the MOCA modem. The MOCA signal has around 40dB of budget as i recall. @krkaufman is heavily into the gritty low level details from his posts.

There may be some moca modems that support a 2.5 Gb ethernet connection, but i have not tested. The GOCOAX moca 2.5s that i have are 1 Gbit ethernet ported and i get full bandwith (940Mbit/s) both directions with 1 Gbit ATT fiber.. Unless you really have a lot of packets to push quickly .....

Thanks for the tips! This should be fun.

OE

I'm about to ask a dumb question: what are the benefits of wired backhaul other than signal stability between parent and child and freeing up the 5-2 band?

I'm about to ask a dumb question: what are the benefits of wired backhaul other than signal stability between parent and child and freeing up the 5-2 band?
Well, it's full duplex, and probably higher bandwidth than what you will get from wireless backhaul. Definitely higher bandwidth if you consider better-than-1Gbps ethernet, which is a fair comparison if you are comparing to top-spec wireless gear. But really it's the stability/reliability angles that make the killer argument IMO.

I'm still a bit bemused by your central concern seemingly being to free up the 5GHz-2 radio. That's not going to buy you much unless you've got rock solid high-performance network connections behind it. Your internet setup is only as good as its weakest link.

I want the 5-2 band for my AX devices. I still have AC devices that I currently have on the 2.4 band and the speed is defaulting to the slowest device, which is a smart plug that apparently is slower than Christmas. I want the AC devices on the 5-1 band.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!