What's new

XT9 real world power consumption

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gm2000

Occasional Visitor
Hi, I’m looking to understand the XT9’s real world power consumption.

The power consumption says upto 30watts.

Has anyone tested this? What does the typical wattage look like? Many thanks

I don't know about the XT9 but when I measured the power consumption of my RT-AX86U in normal operation it was 9.0 Watts. The supplied power adapter is rated at 45 Watts.

Thanks that’s re-assuring. I was just reluctant to run 2 x 30 watts - 60 watts 24/7 with electricity prices the way they are in the UK

I would expect up to 30W for a set of two with no USB storage attached. Perhaps closer to 20W most of the time.

I will also turn off the radios on one of them overnight, mainly as it will be in a bedroom and a bonus is it will save power

I will also turn off the radios on one of them overnight, mainly as it will be in a bedroom and a bonus is it will save power
See these two posts I made just over a year ago. Not worth the effort IMHO. YMMV.
There was recently a similar discussion in another thread. In that thread I measured the power consumption of my RT-AX86U in normal operation and found it consumed 9.0 Watts. So that's 78.84 kWh a year. EDF's current variable tariff is 35.32p per kWh which would equate to a total cost of £27.85 a year.
As I mentioned in the other thread disabling both radios on my RT-AX86U reduced the power consumption from 9.0W to 6.2W. So based on the costs in post #4 that would be a saving of £8.66 a year - but then you'd have no WiFi at all. So just enough for two pints and a packet of crisps.

I will also turn off the radios on one of them overnight

You won't save much power and your AiMesh system will work worse as a result. All attached to this router devices will be disconnected and perhaps reconnected to the other router. And this will happen every time you turn the second router on/off. Your roaming will be messed up totally every day.

Last edited:
See these two posts I made just over a year ago. Not worth the effort IMHO. YMMV.

You won't save much power and your AiMesh system will work worse as a result. All attached to this router devices will be disconnected and perhaps reconnected to the other router. And this will happen every time you turn the second router on/off. Your roaming will be messed up totally every day.
Thanks @Tech9 My plan was to have 1 XT9 connected to the ONT and then a wired backhaul to another XT9 in the bedroom. I just thought if it’s got a wired backhaul that between midnight and 7am I could turn the radios off in the bedroom to avoid unnecessary wireless (potential radiation) with a bonus of a moderate wattage decrease. If radios cannot be independently switched off this wouldn’t work.

Thanks @ColinTaylor My plan was to have 1 XT9 connected to the ONT and then a wired backhaul to another XT9 in the bedroom. I just thought if it’s got a wired backhaul that between midnight and 7am I could turn the radios off in the bedroom to avoid unnecessary wireless (potential radiation) with a bonus of a moderate wattage decrease. If radios cannot be independently switched off this wouldn’t work.

If radios cannot be independently switched off this wouldn’t work.

You can power the router through timer plug, if you want to. Turning on/off parts of your network will make it work worse though. About radiation concerns - do your own research and decide what you want to do. If you ask for my opinion: as long as the router is not on your nightstand next to your head - you're good. I personally use access points and none are located in a bedroom. In one place I use home AIO router and it's located in the living room.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!