What's new

YazFi YazFi - enhanced AsusWRT-Merlin Guest WiFi inc. SSID <-> VPN Client

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dnsmasq.conf.add lost the YazFi lines, you mean?

At the moment its expected that changing Guest Networks in the GUI will "break" YazFi until it is manually run but the conf file should remain intact

Yes, dnsmasq.conf.add had lost all the YazFi lines (the files are attached to my previous post in a zip - just remove the additional .txt extension). I'd not made any changes in the GUI until after the guest network stopped working. Removing and re-enabling the 2.4GHz guest fixed it.

Hi, I have a question about routing the wifi guest user to a specific vpn server. So I need to add the vpn provider under the vpn client settings within the router but does that need to be active?
As all I would like to do is just use the vpn provider for the guest wifi users and not for all the connections that go through the router. Is there a special setting I need to activate?

Thanks

Hi, Yes use Policy Rules under the VPN - VPN Client Settings - Advanced Settings - Redirect Internet traffic. Then YazFi will add it self (2.5GHz Guest ) when installed. This setup will redirect only guest wifi via the VPN tunnel.

Last edited:
Yes, dnsmasq.conf.add had lost all the YazFi lines (the files are attached to my previous post in a zip - just remove the additional .txt extension). I'd not made any changes in the GUI until after the guest network stopped working. Removing and re-enabling the 2.4GHz guest fixed it.
That's perculiar indeed, that file would only be modified if there was a YazFi change (usually). When YazFi runs it builds a temporary config file and compares it to the existing - replacing the existing if there is anything different. Could you grab a syslog output from around the time it stops working please?

Ok, i did not check if it was actually in config. i ran "/jffs/scripts/YazFi blockdhcp" while on 2.3.6 and just wanted to include any info i had :)
Manually assigned ip under LAN-> DHCP SERVER
Not sure if it is relevant at all.
There's an update version of the testing branch, if you'd like to give it a go. You need to be running 384.5 later, as I now depend on the service-event script. I don't know if that script is present in John's fork, so I'm holding off on pushing the change to master

There's an update version of the testing branch, if you'd like to give it a go. You need to be running 384.5 later, as I now depend on the service-event script. I don't know if that script is present in John's fork, so I'm holding off on pushing the change to master
Sorry for the late reply. I did not manage to recreate the issue after running the upgrade again yesterday. Just updated to latest and will let you know if i find any issues. (I am running 384.9 alpha2)

Sorry for the late reply. I did not manage to recreate the issue after running the upgrade again yesterday. Just updated to latest and will let you know if i find any issues. (I am running 384.9 alpha2)
No problem at all. I'll submit the PR for merging the branches now, and will approve it tomorrow unless any desperate cries of "don't do it!"

YazFi v2.3.7 has been released

Changelog:
Code:
- Adds bounceclients command - force Guest WiFi clients to re-authenticate
- Adds forceupdate command - force a re-download of latest YazFi from source
- Incorporate above into YazFi running, so clients should always get the correct IP/routing
- Adopt use of service-event to catch any restarts of the wireless service (e.g. editing settings in the router GUI).
  This means there is now a minimum f/w requirement, and unfortunately support for the 380.XX branch is no longer possible
- Remove blockdhcp - superceded by bounceclients
To update:
Code:
/jffs/scripts/YazFi update

Many thanks to @preacher65 for testing the de-authentication of clients, and to @.TT. for also testing the "testing" branch :)

Is there anyway to push some of the guest networks over tor instead of VPN?
It looks like TOR supports specific MAC routing, so in theory it could be scripted. I don't use TOR so while it would be interesting to script, I have no way to test/support it ongoing

I just discovered this, and absolutely love how it handles the guest wifi as separate subnets.... and setup was so simple.
I do have but one request, that I'm hoping you can tell me how to do.

I run pihole on a raspberry pi to cut down on ads, which is 192.168.1.2 in the primary subnet
I would like my guest wifi users, on 192.168.2.0 (wl0.1) and 192.168.3.0 (wl1.1)subnets to be able to connect via TCP and UDP port 53 to 192.168.1.2 only so they will also have the benefit of the ad blocker (which will cut down on the bandwidth of my guest network)

I just discovered this, and absolutely love how it handles the guest wifi as separate subnets.... and setup was so simple.

I run pihole on a raspberry pi to cut down on ads, which is 192.168.1.2 in the primary subnet
I would like my guest wifi users, on 192.168.2.0 (wl0.1) and 192.168.3.0 (wl1.1)subnets to be able to connect via TCP and UDP port 53 to 192.168.1.2 only so they will also have the benefit of the ad blocker (which will cut down on the bandwidth of my guest network)

I believe the next version of Yazfi will support guest network to access predefined LAN targets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I believe the next version of Yazfi will support guest network to access predefined LAN targets.

So effectively a DNS server on the LAN? I could modify how it handles the DNS configuration, and if its on the LAN, then allow it through - this would be easy enough since it is applicable to pre-defined ports (TCP/UDP 53), so doesn't need me to finish up the ipset approach I'm working on for the "full-fat" LAN access.

I'll try and get something on the testing branch today

So effectively a DNS server on the LAN? I could modify how it handles the DNS configuration, and if its on the LAN, then allow it through - this would be easy enough since it is applicable to pre-defined ports (TCP/UDP 53), so doesn't need me to finish up the ipset approach I'm working on for the "full-fat" LAN access.

Thanks this is a great news for bunch of Pihole users like us! :)

Thanks I see you are working on the testing branch right now.

Would like to ask if I use https://discourse.pi-hole.net/t/how-do-i-configure-my-devices-to-use-pi-hole-as-their-dns-server/245 -> "Method 2" to add LAN DNS, will your script's LAN Detect Logic be able to catch it? This is what I have in my dnsmasq.conf.add file:

dhcp-option=6,172.16.100.2

### Start of script-generated configuration for interface wl0.1 ###
interface=wl0.1
dhcp-range=wl0.1,172.16.200.2,172.16.200.254,255.255.255.0,43200s
dhcp-option=wl0.1,3,172.16.200.1
dhcp-option=wl0.1,6,176.103.130.130,176.103.130.131
### End of script-generated configuration for interface wl0.1 ###

Thanks!

Would like to ask if I use https://discourse.pi-hole.net/t/how-do-i-configure-my-devices-to-use-pi-hole-as-their-dns-server/245 -> "Method 2" to add LAN DNS, will your script's LAN Detect Logic be able to catch it? This is what I have in my dnsmasq.conf.add file:

interface=wl0.1

Thanks!
That's the plan!

interface=wl0.1

Thanks!
Ready for testing!
You can make YazFi swap to it by editing YazFi manually, and changing line 18:
Code:
readonly YAZFI_BRANCH="master"

to

readonly YAZFI_BRANCH="testing"
then run
Code:
and it should download the script from the testing branch.

Ready for testing!
Code:

to

then run
Code:

Thanks — let me test when I back home today and tell you the results :)

Ready for testing!
Code:

to

then run
Code:

Do I need to specify the internal DNS in YazFi config file or it will fetch from the router’s DHCP setting?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!