What's new

YazFi YazFi - enhanced AsusWRT-Merlin Guest WiFi inc. SSID <-> VPN Client

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I can code something to use withe existing dnsmasq.conf.add code and then be a bit clever with grep and sed :)

:) Thanks! Sadly I haven’t been using yazfi yet because Skynet wasn’t logging stats for any devices on different subnet (ie YazFi guest networks). So I decided to keep using standard guest network for my IOT devices for the meantime, while I experiment with yazfi on my other testing router.

:) Thanks! Sadly I haven’t been using yazfi yet because Skynet wasn’t logging stats for any devices on different subnet (ie YazFi guest networks). So I decided to keep using standard guest network for my IOT devices for the meantime, while I experiment with yazfi on my other testing router.
IIRC it's just iptables rules that need amending/duplicating - is this the [BLOCKED] stuff?

Hello everybody!
Just a question please: is this script useful for extending Guest Wi-Fi network among two AsusWRT-Merlin routers (connected by wire, the second used for extending Wi-Fi coverage)?
As now I'm using AiMesh for extending WiFi coverage, but it doesn't support Guest Wifi on the secondary node.
Thanks

Hello everybody!
Just a question please: is this script useful for extending Guest Wi-Fi network among two AsusWRT-Merlin routers (connected by wire, the second used for extending Wi-Fi coverage)?
As now I'm using AiMesh for extending WiFi coverage, but it doesn't support Guest Wifi on the secondary node.
Thanks

Not yet.

(I'm being hopeful that it will one day). :)

Hello,
I've been using YazFi for a while and it was great.
However, just noticed that after some of the recent updates, YazFi no longer works after a reboot...?
I'm still seeing "YazFi: YazFi v3.2.0 completed successfully" in the logs, but I don't get an IP when connecting to the YazFi.
Configs and everything seem correct since the YazFi does work correctly if I manually "Apply YazFi settings" through /opt/bin/YazFi.
Would appreciate any help!
Thanks!

Hello,
However, just noticed that after some of the recent updates, YazFi no longer works after a reboot...?
I'm still seeing "YazFi: YazFi v3.2.0 completed successfully" in the logs, but I don't get an IP when connecting to the YazFi.
Configs and everything seem correct since the YazFi does work correctly if I manually "Apply YazFi settings" through /opt/bin/YazFi.
Thanks!
Please provide diagnostics with router in the broken state. When you say you don't get IP, do you mean altogether (i.e. device cannot join SSID), or you get an IP from your LAN's primary pool?
Also confirm router model and f/w version.

Hello,
Thanks!
Actually I may have reproduced this - would you be willing to try 3.2.1 from the develop branch?

Please provide diagnostics with router in the broken state. When you say you don't get IP, do you mean altogether (i.e. device cannot join SSID), or you get an IP from your LAN's primary pool?
Also confirm router model and f/w version.
Main SSID - functions as normal.
YazFi after reboot - connects but doesn't obtain IP.
YazFi after running script - fully functional.

Tested on two RT-AC68U on Merlin 384.10_2
Actually I may have reproduced this - would you be willing to try 3.2.1 from the develop branch?
yes, would be more than happy to try it out!

edit: Just updated to 3.2.1 and it starts working as expected after a few minutes! Thanks so much for the quick fix!!

Last edited:
Main SSID - functions as normal.
YazFi after reboot - connects but doesn't obtain IP.
YazFi after running script - fully functional.

Tested on two RT-AC68U on Merlin 384.10_2

yes, would be more than happy to try it out!

edit: Just updated to 3.2.1 and it starts working as expected after a few minutes! Thanks so much for the quick fix!!
Great news! Essentially all I did was add a 60 second sleep to the firewall-start call, I suspect YazFi is trying to start before everything is initialised

Hi guys , when i apply the settings everything works as it should....

However after a few hours , or maybe a day, not exactly sure on the timeframe ... imhaving an issue where my devices will connect to the router fine, they get the correct IP , but it says no interent, if i re-apply the settings it straight away works again . any ideas?

the VPN is up and running fine btw

Hi guys , when i apply the settings everything works as it should....

However after a few hours , or maybe a day, not exactly sure on the timeframe ... imhaving an issue where my devices will connect to the router fine, they get the correct IP , but it says no interent, if i re-apply the settings it straight away works again . any ideas?

the VPN is up and running fine btw
3.2.1 might help with this

Noticed the other day that if DNS1 server was missing/offline a guest for some reason could not connect to the YazFi guest network (both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz). Is this standard behavior? Once I went in and changed the DNS to another DNS provider the guest could connect.

Last edited:
Noticed the other day that if DNS1 server was missing/offline a guest for some reason could not connect to the YazFi guest network (both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz). Is this standard behavior? Once I went in and changed the DNS to another DNS provider the guest could connect.
did you have forcedns enabled?

did you have forcedns enabled?
Yes. I guess the question is why didn't it roll over to DNS2 which was online at the time?
Both DNS fields are populated but at the time DNS 1 couldn't be reached while DNS2 could be reached.

Yes. I guess the question is why didn't it roll over to DNS2 which was online at the time?
Both DNS fields are populated but at the time DNS 1 couldn't be reached while DNS2 could be reached.
Its the same as dnsfilter in the firmware, traffic is redirected to a specific server. Very rare for a dns server to go down for a significant time - which server were you using?

which server were you using?
I was using a local network DNS server (Pi-Hole). Have two of them setup on the local network and I took the main one (DNS1) offline to do some testing. It was then I noticed a device couldn't connect to the guest network when I turned that device on.

I was using a local network DNS server (Pi-Hole). Have two of them setup on the local network and I took the main one (DNS1) offline to do some testing. It was then I noticed a device couldn't connect to the guest network when I turned that device on.
ok. You would have experienced the same thing if using dnsfilter. The purpose is to guarantee that your dns traffic goes to a particular server, so if you took the server down, it's working as designed.

The only way to support failover DNS redirection would be to continually ping the primary DNS server, and then determine when the server is "down". I'm not sure if I'd want to leave a process continually running in the background.

Would anyone else see this feature as a good addition?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!