What's new

You really like me!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tech9

Part of the Furniture
my personal quest to be helpful before hurtful [890+ posts 1,160+ likes]

You are using wrong likes assessment method. Here is why:

a) Let's find potential bad guys in this thread first, based on posts/likes ratio:
@sfx2000 - 14823/3160
@thiggins - 15489/4256

b) Most "likes" on this forum come from "friends circle". Some people will never like what I write just because some of it hurts their virtual image. Some people will always like my "opposition" for the same reason, even if the posted information is obviously incorrect. Some people don't like anything "thiggins", because he closed a thread or deleted a post. Some people simply don't understand most of "sfx2000" and they don't like that.

The number of followers is a better indicator. Do you agree? Look at @sfx2000 and @thiggins accounts again.

I'm open to anything new. Standard precaution procedures apply. I personally would like to see more from @lightaffaire.

You are using wrong likes assessment method.
There's actually a scandalous "likes" controversy on this forum. Some time back, thiggins enabled alternate like types (heart, like, dislike, etc.). It didn't last long, and one day he disabled them. But during that blissful time, I amassed 13 other "reactions" that no longer show up in my profile. I've always felt cheated and resented this. 13! How unlucky!

1646181191262.png

Reactions Received: 10,350

1646181238798.png

Obviously, this is meant to be tongue-in-cheek, but not all likes are equal. :)

a) Let's find potential bad guys in this thread first, based on posts/likes ratio:
@sfx2000 - 14823/3160
@thiggins - 15489/425

b) Most "likes" on this forum come from "friends circle". Some people will never like what I write just because some of it hurts their virtual image. Some people will always like my "opposition" for the same reason, even if the posted information is obviously incorrect. Some people don't like anything "thiggins", because he closed a thread or deleted a post. Some people simply don't understand most of "sfx2000" and they don't like that.
IMO, that's a fair and astute assessment of what the "likes" situation is here on this forum (and honestly, on most other user forums that I've participated in). To put it succinctly, the number of "likes" is very rarely a true measurement of how helpful a poster may or may not be. Besides, a person who posts messages with the honest intention to be helpful, informative, and at times illuminating or thought-provoking, is not the kind to seek "likes" as a sign of approval, validation, or encouragement.

Just my 2 cents.

I've had @L&LD like a post where I had merely put the word "Reserved" with nothing else (so I could use it in the future for tracking reported issues), so take Likes count with a huge truckload of salt :)

... so take Likes count with a huge truckload of salt :)
And that's another reason to be skeptical of the merits of having a large number of "likes." In almost every other forum that I've joined or visited often over the years, sometimes there are people who appear somewhat compulsive about giving away "likes" indiscriminately, left & right, as if clicking on the "like" button was bringing its own reward, and almost as if such behavior was being elicited by some kind of Pavlovian conditioned response.

But, hey, to each his own, right? :)
"Live and Let Live," as far as I'm concerned on this. No real harm is being done to others.

P.S. Just in case:
Before anyone gets offended by this post, this was meant to be tongue-in-cheek.

Last edited:
in addition to 'Likes' - I suppose adding "I hate your azz" isn't a consideration? - although it may cut down on the useless chatter...

@sfx2000 - 14823/3160
@thiggins - 15489/4256

The number of followers is a better indicator. Do you agree? Look at @sfx2000 and @thiggins accounts again.

I'm open to anything new. Standard precaution procedures apply. I personally would like to see more from @lightaffaire.

Each to their own - but keep in mind that I am way too old to fuss with Social Media culture - so "Follows" etc have no significance or meaning for me.
I also do not seek "Likes" nor issue them glibly ... I accept them as an indicator that my post has proved useful to someone [and not hurtful].
I issue them ONLY when I believe the post has merit for members, is something that has helped me or where I agree with the content.

Check your own records @Tech9 and you will see "Likes" from me - but only where your views accord with mine - or where you have been helpful.

If there is a 'Happy Likes Club" out there who click away within a "friends circle" - then I'm confident that I don't qualify for membership.
I follow no one on this forum - but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate the contributions by many - yourself included :D.

Not sure this record of reaction scores is much out of sync with those who have contributed the most ???
Clearly, being an "all time" count - it likely misses recent meaningful contributions from newer members.
reaction scores.JPG

But - folks - we stray from the OP's topic of interest ... so best get back on track.
I have no contribution to his quest beyond the referral I made to Skynet.

The only reason there is a "Like" feature enabled is that Xenforo does not support a "Thank" button. THAT is all the "Like" button is meant to be. If there were an easy way to change it to "Thank", I would.

607 posts, 429 likes, 1 follower, 3 kids, 1 wife, 8 pcs, 2 rpi, 2 cars, 1 house, 2 parents, 3 nipples, oh wait, sorry 2 nipples ( i checked ), 34 years of hard work, 18 years of not so hard work to go, and one rather awesome asus router. Oh and no partridge, but I got a pear tree.

Can we get a dislike button?

Last edited:

@sfx2000 - 14823/3160

I personally don't know if I'm all that 'liked' or not, I think it is more about folks appreciating the content of my posts...

Trust me, I don't go out of my way to get "likes" :D

Yes, I do like the empty 'reserved' posts. It means the poster is thinking ahead and I approve. :)

I think, possibly, some of my likes may be for the wrong reason :)

I issue them ONLY when I believe the post has merit for members, is something that has helped me or where I agree with the content.

- original idea
- straight solution or a clue to the solution
- proper explanation with proper technical terms
- thanks at the end
- I like to thank someone
- sense of humor (you @Clark Griswald and @BreakingDad)

Check your own records @Tech9 and you will see "Likes" from me

I know. Sometimes I don't like you much because when I go to work at -20C you perhaps go to the beach. :D

This like chasing is shameful, but amusing.

After thread splitting I found myself as the thread starter, so why not marking the problem Solved? :cool:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!