What's new

Your Advice on Setting Up ASUS AiMesh with ExpressVPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Fokmores

New Around Here
Hello everyone,

To begin with, I know very little but I tried for a few days searching what's available online but without much luck. So thank you very much in advance for your advice on how I could properly set up an AiMesh network at my new apartment in China, size around 1,500 sq ft.

At the moment I have a TUF-AX3000 and since I am in HK I have no need for using VPN. But next month I will move to China and with NordVPN tested not working while ExpressVPN (using iPhone, iPad, Mac app on each separate device logging in every time) worked fine, I would consider re-subscribe to ExpressVPN once I move. However, while TUF-AX3000 supports OpenVPN, I do not find the option to upload a .ovpn profile like the rest AC/AX models so I do not know how I can use it as a VPN router.

This leads me to consider buying a AC68U router that supports ExpressVPN firmware.

So assuming I have an ExpressVPN firmware running AC68U set up in the living room, and then I AiMesh the TUF-AX3000 in my work room (quite far end from the living room), will I be able to access the internet with VPN in my work room? Ultimately my goal is to be able to access the internet "freely" in my entire apartment.

Or if you think there are better options (e.g. set up ExpressVPN with OpenVPN on a better router instead of the AC68U) that can achieve the same goal? Please share with me any idea you might have, I welcome all comments and even criticism as long as there is a way to make this work. There is also no concern on cost.

Thank you all again!
Christopher

Hello everyone,

To begin with, I know very little but I tried for a few days searching what's available online but without much luck. So thank you very much in advance for your advice on how I could properly set up an AiMesh network at my new apartment in China, size around 1,500 sq ft.

At the moment I have a TUF-AX3000 and since I am in HK I have no need for using VPN. But next month I will move to China and with NordVPN tested not working while ExpressVPN (using iPhone, iPad, Mac app on each separate device logging in every time) worked fine, I would consider re-subscribe to ExpressVPN once I move. However, while TUF-AX3000 supports OpenVPN, I do not find the option to upload a .ovpn profile like the rest AC/AX models so I do not know how I can use it as a VPN router.

This leads me to consider buying a AC68U router that supports ExpressVPN firmware.

So assuming I have an ExpressVPN firmware running AC68U set up in the living room, and then I AiMesh the TUF-AX3000 in my work room (quite far end from the living room), will I be able to access the internet with VPN in my work room? Ultimately my goal is to be able to access the internet "freely" in my entire apartment.

Or if you think there are better options (e.g. set up ExpressVPN with OpenVPN on a better router instead of the AC68U) that can achieve the same goal? Please share with me any idea you might have, I welcome all comments and even criticism as long as there is a way to make this work. There is also no concern on cost.

Thank you all again!
Christopher

The RT-AC86U has about 20% more effective WiFi coverage than the AC68U and it has hardware encryption for strong VPN performance... and it supports Smart Connect band steering to permit using same SSIDs per band, if desired.

I would consider the AC86U over the AC68U.

I'm not familiar with the TUF-AX3000.

One AC86U can serve 1500 sq ft subject to WiFi blocking building materials.

OE

I use ExpressVPN on each device instead of the router. This allows access anywhere on mobile.

A little research shows that there are some risks involved with using a VPN in China.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!