What's new

Diversion YouTube ad blocking - is it working?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheLyppardMan

Very Senior Member
I've had it switched on for several days and my daughter spends a lot of time watching YouTube videos, but I haven't noticed any reduction in the amount of ads that I see. Is there a way to check that YouTube ad blocking is working properly?

i use NEXTDNS it's work fine for me
I'm pretty sure that NextDNS is as good or bad as Diversion is with blocking YouTube Video ads. The results are - at best - experimental.

you can try to use it 300000 DNS requests free or 1 year 20 $
Free or $$, it still cannot block YouTube Video ads.
I don’t need another ad-blocker, I got my own. I coded it, tested it and put it to good use.

nextdns doesn't block youtube ads, youtube ads are now served from the same streaming server as the video you are watching therefor it's almost impossible to block on a dns level.

nextdns doesn't block youtube ads, youtube ads are now served from the same streaming server as the video you are watching therefor it's almost impossible to block on a dns level.
That is correct, while the Youtube video experiment ad block feature may work for limited time by tricking the service of said ad server, at some point videos will not play. Partly one of the reason why diversion at some point starts the process out fresh. The blocking is completely experimental.
What it wont do:
"It will not block every ad"
What it will do:
It will trick some ad servers to thinking they have been processed thus allowing the start of the video.
This may work for quite sometime until you start seeing ads again.
However, this might not work because you might not frequent these servers often when surfing youtube videos.

Or get YT premium.
jim-carrey-excited-to-see-you.gif

the only thing i know that works for youtube blocking and general total mobile ads blocking is luna from emban networks. But they are quite contorversial but they seemed to have bettered their practices lately.

Hello, I have just read your post while searching dns based ad blocking on net. ould you please tell me, how does ublock origin as chrome extension blocks all adds on youtube or any other platforms, if youtube ads are served from the same streaming server? If it is encryipted, how can ublock origin solves this?

Thanks for the hard work @thelonelycoder. Is there anywhere that I can find out more about how the YouTube blocking works? Are there separate runtime logs for the YouTube-blocking activity, or should I expect this to show up in dnsmasq logs?

Thanks for the hard work @thelonelycoder. Is there anywhere that I can find out more about how the YouTube blocking works? Are there separate runtime logs for the YouTube-blocking activity, or should I expect this to show up in dnsmasq logs?
Diversion searches for new googlevideo addresses in the Dnsmasq log file and adds them to a separate blocking list. The frequency of these searches depends on current YT usage.
To see the assembled domains and new counts in the main Diversion UI in the header select 4. Show YouTube redirect count in UI in b, 8.

Edit:
The router syslog shows entires such as Dec 1 18:23:01 Diversion: found 3 new YouTube hosts, total is 7 (counter at 3 of 30).
This says it found three new domains and now has a grand total of seven googlevideo domains stored. The counter 3 of 30 is the frequency it currently runs at.

youtube premium is 2,50CAD a month or 22CAD a year