What's new

Zenwifi AC CT8 Version 3.0.0.4.386.22238 (2Jul20) is a disaster

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

meekgeek1

Occasional Visitor
Anyone with these Zenwifi AC CT8 DO NOT update to Version 3.0.0.4.386.22238

I updated and it was a freaking DISASTER.
Main node (router) refused to assign IP all LEDs were normal (green/white), multiple reboots later I finally managed to get into GUI. Pureluck i believe.
(I experimented with this. Once i got into the GUI i rebooted and it just din work again. It was all random.)

Rolled back to Version 3.0.0.4.386.21291 then everything was back to normal. all calm.

I experiment with the secondary node even. Main node rolledback to 386.21291, node on new 386.22238.
The irritating thing simply refused to connect via ethernet backhaul no matter what. (i already reset the node with WPS+power and just reset button as well).

This is horrible terribly disappointing. My frustration is simply not worth it.
Horrible firmware aside. asus still doesn't have guest network working properly. I'm gonna break the bank for ubiquiti next upgrade

Main node (router) refused to assign IP all LEDs were normal (green/white), multiple reboots later I finally managed to get into GUI. Pureluck i believe.
(I experimented with this. Once i got into the GUI i rebooted and it just din work again. It was all random.)

Rolled back to Version 3.0.0.4.386.21291 then everything was back to normal. all calm.

I experiment with the secondary node even. Main node rolledback to 386.21291, node on new 386.22238.
The irritating thing simply refused to connect via ethernet backhaul no matter what. (i already reset the node with WPS+power and just reset button as well).

Horrible firmware aside. asus still doesn't have guest network working properly. I'm gonna break the bank for ubiquiti next upgrade

Did you reset all nodes to factory defaults and configure from scratch after the upgrade, and I wonder if that would have helped (not with guest networks, of course)?

OE

Did you reset all nodes to factory defaults and configure from scratch after the upgrade, and I wonder if that would have helped (not with guest networks, of course)?
OE

Only when i was experimenting updating the secondary node.
why don't you try it. hurhur.
i guess i wont be upgrading the firmware until a real feature comes along.

I totally agree with meekgeek1: DO NOT UPDATE !!

I have a system with 6 nodes running, updated the firmware on July 2nd and instead of
a mesh it became a real mess!
My experience with the update, even after countless hard resets:
-no ethernet backhaul
-5 GHz acting as an open network, no WPA2
-very slow speeds
-several clients could not connect

This is so disappointing because before the update the system was running smoothly and
I was extremely happy with it. (before I had an Apple Airport Extrem system)
Eventually decided to roll back to the previous version 386.21291. Everything back to normal
after many, many frustrating hours.

I totally agree with meekgeek1: DO NOT UPDATE !!

I have a system with 6 nodes running, updated the firmware on July 2nd and instead of
a mesh it became a real mess!
My experience with the update, even after countless hard resets:
-no ethernet backhaul
-5 GHz acting as an open network, no WPA2
-very slow speeds
-several clients could not connect

This is so disappointing because before the update the system was running smoothly and
I was extremely happy with it. (before I had an Apple Airport Extrem system)
Eventually decided to roll back to the previous version 386.21291. Everything back to normal
after many, many frustrating hours.

The no ethernet backhaul is truly baffling.
I tested by just selectively upgrading the nodes.
I was beginning to think if it's just me.

After updating, on Windows or any devices it keep showing a Open Wifi as I configure to Smart connect combine 2.4 and 5GHz. Sometimes No IP is assign too therefore downgrade to .21291 but now my WiFi speed is somehow cap too.

On my iPhone 11 Pro or even Galaxy S10 standing beside the main router, my wifi speed only 50-80Mbps, previously was 300 to 400Mbps. Happen after upgrade to .22238 and downgrade back to .21291, in the end I press the hard reset button on the bottom of the 2 nodes and re-setup! Finally back to normal, getting 300-400Mbps! Phew!

Asus never test properly the latest firmware, full of bugs. I hope someone did inform Asus.

Last edited:
The no ethernet backhaul is truly baffling.
I tested by just selectively upgrading the nodes.
I was beginning to think if it's just me.
Let’s hope the Asus guys will start figuring out what is wrong. I allready contacted them in the Netherlands. They asked me to update again and send them the log files etc. That’s because they suggest it’s my problem only which is not the case. I invested over € 1000 in this system. Leave alone the costs for the UTP cabling etc. Very disappointing for a suggested premium system. Let’s just wait for other reactions to come.

Let’s hope the Asus guys will start figuring out what is wrong. I allready contacted them in the Netherlands. They asked me to update again and send them the log files etc. That’s because they suggest it’s my problem only which is not the case. I invested over € 1000 in this system. Leave alone the costs for the UTP cabling etc. Very disappointing for a suggested premium system. Let’s just wait for other reactions to come.

HAHAHAH the cheek! they are actually getting you to do UAT for them. HAHAHAHA. that's so funny....

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!