What's new

ZenWifi AX No 160mhz for backhaul

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Just got the XT8 and I’m a little confused. It’s says the wan port is 1GB/2.5GB. I have 1.5gbps speed from my provider. When I look at the Status it says 1gbps. How do I get it to use the full 1.5gbps on the Wan port?

I haven't tried WP3. The only thing it told me was it needed protected frames to be capable or required. My understanding is WPA3 is pretty useless right now unless the devices support it.
Wait- it supports WP3? Now I’m really tempted.

Only thing really missing from this is not enough high speed ports. But as I said, for me right now I don’t see FIOS making anything faster than 1g affordable any time soon so it will work.

Can you configure a 1g LAN port as WAN and the 2.5g WAN port as a LAN port? I don’t see why this wouldn’t be possible. As I said it would be useful for high speed transfers from devices on the backhaul.

Just got the XT8 and I’m a little confused. It’s says the wan port is 1GB/2.5GB. I have 1.5gbps speed from my provider. When I look at the Status it says 1gbps. How do I get it to use the full 1.5gbps on the Wan port?

Does your modem have a 2.5 Gbps port? A lot of modems don't, and instead they rely on a pair of WAN ports that must use link aggregation to break the 1 GBps barrier.

Does your modem have a 2.5 Gbps port? A lot of modems don't, and instead they rely on a pair of WAN ports that must use link aggregation to break the 1 GBps barrier.
Good question
I have a Fibe HH3000, dont see any indications of a port greater than 1GBPS. The modem is receiving the full 1.5Gbps though. I don’t see any options to use aggregation either. Damn!

This one is an interesting hardware setup, with a lot of potential. I really hope they offer a way to use a LAN port as a single WAN port (instead of just dual-WAN, freeing up the 2.5g port for LAN on both nodes) because so many people are limited to 1g internet.

Speaking of which (you know I have to ask) if the XT8 is going to be supported by your firmware or is the hardware too specialized/different?

This one is an interesting hardware setup, with a lot of potential. I really hope they offer a way to use a LAN port as a single WAN port (instead of just dual-WAN, freeing up the 2.5g port for LAN on both nodes) because so many people are limited to 1g internet.

Speaking of which (you know I have to ask) if the XT8 is going to be supported by your firmware or is the hardware too specialized/different?

Since ZenWifi is Qualcomm based, probably no Merlin support.

If I can configure a 1g port as a WAN port this will work for me as then I can transfer files from my PC to my NAS at 2.5g on the 2nd node LAN port. My internet is 1g so I don't need any more than that.

Asus really needs to specify all this stuff on their webpage- right now it seems to be just a guessing game on what the XT8 supports.

one suggestion fyi

if your modem got dhcp, then set the primary xt8 as "access point mode", you can find it in web or app.
Then the ports are bridged, the connect modem to one of the 1G port, then 2.5G port is LAN.

give it a try

one suggestion fyi

if your modem got dhcp, then set the primary xt8 as "access point mode", you can find it in web or app.
Then the ports are bridged, the connect modem to one of the 1G port, then 2.5G port is LAN

give it a try

Well this is FIOS which consists of a ONT in my closet which is fiber then I would run ether from there to the XT8. I’m going to give the XT8 a try I think. I wanted to use the 2nd node in bridge mode as I have a Mikrotic wireless wire in my living room (it’s impressive for $160, consistent 1g).

I’ll pick up an XT8 from Amazon and see how it goes.

I don't know.

Since ZenWifi is Qualcomm based, probably no Merlin support.

It's Broadcom-based. BCM675x platform, similar to the RT-AX58U. But it's based on newer 386 code, which is currently not compatible with any of the models that I support.

Hi. I recently went from Google WiFi to Asus ZenWifi XT8 to take advantage of WiFi 6 capabilities with desktop PC and iPhone 11 Pro.

My internet connection is FTTP 900/100, and I'm UK-based.

I noticed this post, as I also don't appear to be getting 160Mhz backhaul connection to/from router/node. Keen to get any thoughts from the experts here.

As far as I can tell, I have the 5Ghz-2 band configured correctly:

1596901753017.png

However, looking at the Wireless Log, it appears to be only connecting at 80Mhz. (I've attached the relevant section of Wireless Log as a text file below)

Attachments

• wireless log.txt
    1.8 KB · Views: 226
Hi. I recently went from Google WiFi to Asus ZenWifi XT8 to take advantage of WiFi 6 capabilities with desktop PC and iPhone 11 Pro.

My internet connection is FTTP 900/100, and I'm UK-based.

I noticed this post, as I also don't appear to be getting 160Mhz backhaul connection to/from router/node. Keen to get any thoughts from the experts here.

As far as I can tell, I have the 5Ghz-2 band configured correctly:

View attachment 25274

However, looking at the Wireless Log, it appears to be only connecting at 80Mhz. (I've attached the relevant section of Wireless Log as a text file below)
Try setting the bandwith to only static 160 and change the control channel to 100. That has worked for some of us here.

Try setting the bandwith to only static 160 and change the control channel to 100. That has worked for some of us here.

Thanks Sonystyle44; I gave that a go as you suggested and it worked, but the connection to the node was described as weak (despite it being just a few feet away on the floor above). That might explain why it was using 80Mhz though. So I switched it back to 20/40/80Mhz and selected a static channel. I'll live with that for now and fiddle around with settings a bit more.

Aside from from the backhaul channel width issue, I'm only getting 400Mbps at most on my iPhone 11 connected via 802.11ax, even when right by the main router. My PC which is connected to the same router by ethernet gets 800+Mbps via speedtest.net. I need to see if I can improve the wifi throughput with more tweaking but it's hard to know where to start.

Start by moving both routers/nodes a few inches around where they are now. If they're not far from each other, there is some interference that may be very local and specific that a few inches placement (or orientation of both the router and the antennae) may help.

Start by moving both routers/nodes a few inches around where they are now. If they're not far from each other, there is some interference that may be very local and specific that a few inches placement (or orientation of both the router and the antennae) may help.
Thanks L&LD. I did as you suggested, and even moved the node to beside the router in the same room, but still the connection was reported as weak.

I've updated the firmware to the latest RC beta 9.0.0.4.386_93948, which hasn't helped.

I then tried reducing the TX power right down to 'fair' on the 5Ghz-2 dedicated backhaul band, and that seems to have done the trick in terms of backhaul connection. Still not happy at 160Mhz, but decent connection at 80Mhz.

Thanks L&LD. I did as you suggested, and even moved the node to beside the router in the same room, but still the connection was reported as weak.

I've updated the firmware to the latest RC beta 9.0.0.4.386_93948, which hasn't helped.

I then tried reducing the TX power right down to 'fair' on the 5Ghz-2 dedicated backhaul band, and that seems to have done the trick in terms of backhaul connection. Still not happy at 160Mhz, but decent connection at 80Mhz.

Reboot your XT8. Select 160mhz if you can and apply.

If you can't select 160mhz or you can't manually pick a channel then DFS is either waiting or has denied a channel. This can bump you down to 2.4ghz.

Go to System log > Wireless log and look for the following

Channel Information

----------------------------------------

Channel 100 A Band, RADAR Sensitive

Channel 104 A Band, RADAR Sensitive

Channel 108 A Band, RADAR Sensitive

Channel 112 A Band, RADAR Sensitive

Channel 116 A Band, RADAR Sensitive

Channel 120 A Band, RADAR Sensitive

Channel 124 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive, Temporarily Out of Service for XX minutes

Channel 128 A Band, RADAR Sensitive

Channel 132 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive

Channel 136 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive

Channel 140 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive

If you see the "Temporarily Out of Service for XX minutes" then DFS is not letting you use that channel.

I am in the following scenario.

For those in the UK. Channel 124 (5620mhz) is the same a the Met Office Weather Radar and is smack bang in the wrong place to allow 8 contiguous channels for 160mhz on this Mesh system.

If you live near any of the Radars in the attached map you are not going to be getting 160mhz bandwidth.
metofficegovuk xsmall.jpg

Here is what can be done to fix the issue.

1. Asus give us 80+80 allowing us to skip this channel.

2. Asus open the 36-64 channels allowing us more choice on where to stick our 160mhz and can stick front end on 4 contiguous channels in the 100-140 range.
(This would work for me fine as 36-64 are not blocked for me and frustrating as 36-64 and 100-140 are available for the single 5ghz interface on my RT-N66U).

3. Place the router to the side of the property towards the nearby radar facing back into the property and put a tin foil shield between the router and the nearby Radar. I managed to get this to work on one router but not the node unfortunately. The idea being that it stops the Radar frequency hitting the router and DFS blocking the channel.

Reboot your XT8. Select 160mhz if you can and apply.

If you can't select 160mhz or you can't manually pick a channel then DFS is either waiting or has denied a channel. This can bump you down to 2.4ghz.

Go to System log > Wireless log and look for the following

If you see the "Temporarily Out of Service for XX minutes" then DFS is not letting you use that channel.

I am in the following scenario.

For those in the UK. Channel 124 (5620mhz) is the same a the Met Office Weather Radar and is smack bang in the wrong place to allow 8 contiguous channels for 160mhz on this Mesh system.

If you live near any of the Radars in the attached map you are not going to be getting 160mhz bandwidth.
View attachment 25366

Here is what can be done to fix the issue.

1. Asus give us 80+80 allowing us to skip this channel.

2. Asus open the 36-64 channels allowing us more choice on where to stick our 160mhz and can stick front end on 4 contiguous channels in the 100-140 range.
(This would work for me fine as 36-64 are not blocked for me and frustrating as 36-64 and 100-140 are available for the single 5ghz interface on my RT-N66U).

3. Place the router to the side of the property towards the nearby radar facing back into the property and put a tin foil shield between the router and the nearby Radar. I managed to get this to work on one router but not the node unfortunately. The idea being that it stops the Radar frequency hitting the router and DFS blocking the channel.

I think you've hit the nail on the head... I live in Fife, Scotland, and in the line of fire of Munduff Hill radar station, according to the Met Office map you posted. That would explain why I'm finding it impossible to get any stable 160Mhz connection on the 5Ghz-2 band used for the backhaul, given that the router only offers channels 100-128. The router knocks it down to 80Mhz on channel 100 (centred on channel 106) To get 160Mhz, it would have to be centred on channel 114, regardless of which channel in the available range I select, and this would clearly require overlap with channel 124.

It does seem the only solution to many in the UK if they are to benefit from 160Mhz band width is, as you say, either split it into 80+80, and/or offer it across the 36-64 channel range, which would be permitted for indoors use, apparently.

Perhaps turning the transmit power down on the units is of some help too.

There is still the issue of why the effective internet speed I see on iPhone 11 and desktop PCs connecting via 802.11ax still seems to be limited to 400Mbps max as measured by Speednet, despite my WAN connection being FTTP at 900Mbps, which is giving me 800+Mbps via ethernet to my PC. No QoS selected but I do have AI Protection switched on.

Check you have a WiFi symbol with a 6 next to it.
Check you have mu-mimo QAM 1024 enabled.

If you have 2.4 and 5ghz on same SSID check that your devices are not being pushed onto 2.4ghz because of frequency/location.

For instance amazon firesticks only like lower bands 36-48 (52-64 will push it onto your 2.4ghz)
20200813_084915.jpg

Check you have a WiFi symbol with a 6 next to it.
Check you have mu-mimo QAM 1024 enabled.

If you have 2.4 and 5ghz on same SSID check that your devices are not being pushed onto 2.4ghz because of frequency/location.

For instance amazon firesticks only like lower bands 36-48 (52-64 will push it onto your 2.4ghz)
View attachment 25373

As an Android user, it perhaps won't come as any surprise to you that iOS on the iPhone 11 doesn't provide any means to check 'how' the device has connected (2.4Ghz or 5GHx, 802.11n/ac/ax or whatever). However, crossreferencing the MAC address of my phone with the details on the WiFi Log on the router, I can see my phone is connected via 802.11ax at 80MHz bandwidth on the 5Ghz-1 band (channel 48 selected and centred on channel 42 for 80Mhz):

1597307675315.png

The 'Professional' settings for 5Ghz-1 band are set like this:

1597307873146.png

So that seems to be in lne with what you're suggesting...

As an Android user, it perhaps won't come as any surprise to you that iOS on the iPhone 11 doesn't provide any means to check 'how' the device has connected (2.4Ghz or 5GHx, 802.11n/ac/ax or whatever). However, crossreferencing the MAC address of my phone with the details on the WiFi Log on the router, I can see my phone is connected via 802.11ax at 80MHz bandwidth on the 5Ghz-1 band (channel 48 selected and centred on channel 42 for 80Mhz):

View attachment 25376

The 'Professional' settings for 5Ghz-1 band are set like this:

View attachment 25377

So that seems to be in lne with what you're suggesting...
Ok that's good. You just managed to clip it off but to the right of that image is the TX and RX rates. Would be good to see them for all devices to see if they are reaching the speed cap for particular scenarios or if speed is having issues due to the dB.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!