What's new

ZenWiFi AX XT8 - Performance tweaks

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I only have purchased one single XT8 unit for a friend of mine and it works okay, but folks around with multiple units were hunting for good AiMesh firmware for years. If you have XT8 already and it works properly - continue using it. If you want a new "mesh" setup - better look somewhere else.

Good to hear it is working well for you guys. Lots of connectivity issues reported here.
not to mention the 2nd wireless backhaul channel 5G_2_dwb SSID being an open network if enabled whilst using Ethernet as backhaul..

I'd never noticed that situation (if present in the firmware in use) during my short trial of AiMesh. I'd assigned my own SSID and passphrase to 5-2 to be able to separate a client for better throughput. What I don't recall is whether I'd opted to prioritize wired backhaul or merely let the system decide it was better than wireless, which choice may be a factor.

I have been using a XT8 as a single router (only wifi), with almost no problems (some Samsung phones, but now are ok) and about 25 wifi devices. I think of changing it, but not sure what to buy. Any advice in an Asus router with AX known to have little problems? Thanks.

You're good as you are. You could get 4x4 2.4GHz (as opposed to your 2x2) in a two-radio AX kit, but then you'd lose the extra 2x2 5GHz radio you now have. Personally, I'd not "upgrade" from that until the second wave of WiFi 7.

Don't take down/change a working setup! Anything 'AX' will be a sideways step.

When/if the current system becomes unreliable/outdated, you can look at options then.

You're good as you are. You could get 4x4 2.4GHz (as opposed to your 2x2) in a two-radio AX kit, but then you'd lose the extra 2x2 5GHz radio you now have. Personally, I'd not "upgrade" from that until the second wave of WiFi 7.
Don't know why I was reading what I'd just written...

By associating one client to 5-1 and another to 5-2, you can effectively achieve full-duplex connectivity between them. At least /relatively/ so. Each connection will still be only half-duplex, but they won't have to "wait on" each other like if they were both associated to the same radio. If you haven't tried it yet, you're welcome for thanking me for the advice.

Don't take down/change a working setup! Anything 'AX' will be a sideways step.

When/if the current system becomes unreliable/outdated, you can look at options then.
In fact, my XT8 has a buyer (a friend that can't afford a best one). I don't know if give tp-link a try (I do not like their slow update policy). My old ASUS N55U DSL, had 6 years of frecuent updates.

While that would be a great thing to do for your friend, I don't think you're doing yourself any favors with TP-Link hardware.

I would buy something for my friend in need before I took down a working system in my home.

I have been using a XT8 as a single router (only wifi), with almost no problems (some Samsung phones, but now are ok) and about 25 wifi devices. I think of changing it, but not sure what to buy. Any advice in an Asus router with AX known to have little problems? Thanks.

Consider the RT-AX88U Pro and RT-AX86U Pro... if you're looking to make a change.

OE

I'd second that, except altering the GT-AX6000 for the RT-AX86U Pro. The GT and 88U Pro are all but the same hardware and both have full support via Merlin. The AX86 in any flavor lacks both the 4x4 2.4GHz radio /and/ a 2.5Gb LAN port, if /either/ (or both) are seen as useful in your situation, and I can't fathom how they couldn't be...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!