What's new

Zenwifi CT8 problem with trying to attach a 2nd USB attached storage on AiMesh node

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Trig German

New Around Here
Just setup my Mesh network using the Zenwifi CT8 product. Pretty straightforward. Issue I have is I hooked up a 6TB USB Hard Disk to the Mesh Router (Primary) and that works fine. However, I tried attaching another 2TB USB Hard disk to the Node and it doesn't appear on the network (my browser or my smartphone - ASUS app). I tried adding a old router RT-AC68U as 3rd Node and plugged the 2nd Hard drive on that node as well. Same issue, it doesn't appear anywhere.

I've tried hooking up the drive to the AiMesh Router to ensure it can see the drive, then move it over to the Node. I've tried different drives and USB keys.

Anyone else get 2 USB attached hard drives to the Zenwifi CT8 working ? If so, how did you do it.

What firmware are you using on all?

Hi L&LD, I upgraded both Router and Node to latest firmware 2 days ago.

AiMesh Router and Node Current Version : 3.0.0.4.386_22245-g1b51b7c

thx for your help.

You're welcome @Trig German.

Sounds like this is a new purchase. Have you ever done a full reset to factory defaults after flashing to the 386.xxx branch?

Yes it is a new purchase. I haven't done a factory reset. Are you saying that after the latest firmware install, I have to do a factory reset and then setup my network again ?

thx for your help.

T.

Yes, that would be the first thing I would do, before trying to troubleshoot and going on a wild-goose chase.

The following links are not directed specifically at your hardware, but the ideas they contain may be of help.

Yes, that would be the first thing I would do, before trying to troubleshoot and going on a wild-goose chase.

The following links are not directed specifically at your hardware, but the ideas they contain may be of help.

Thanks L&LD, I will check out the links and try that route.

Update on my ASUS support experience. So I tried just about everything conceivable to attach the 2nd USB storage device. Unbelieveable the hoops to jump thru, re-directs, resending config files and the sheer number of people answering only to advise they got the request and will update me service support request within a certain time limit. Hopefully they implemented a CX(Customer Experience) module to their CRM system to capture social listening to improve their service levels.

What a marketing nightmare it must be. They should state up front that the CT8 system will only handle 1 USB attachment. At least customers could avoid this system and consider other products and not experience their customer support process.

On one of the many calls, the support person said if I want to hook up 2 drives to the CT8 system, I have to configure both as the main router and basically have 2 networks. Unbelievable and unsatisfactory. A ASUS marketing blunder in my opinion. If you going to show 2 USB ports in your advertising then make sure they both work or STATE CLEARLY that the system can handle only 1 USB device.

Finally, I got a email from support to try Beta Firmware where their technical department suggested I try. https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...th-full-functions-aimesh-2-0-continued.69274/

So, I'm going to upgrade on a given Friday after work and see if anything changes. I will have to spend more of time to try and get this damn thing to work properly.

I don't have faith this Beta Firmware will get the 2nd USB device going on the CT8 solution as the description does NOT mention anything about a 2nd USB. I suspect ASUS support strategy is wear out the customer at some point so they the customer just gives up. And I get that, so the best I can do is share my experience across as many social media channels, ecommerce and blogs as possible. I maybe out a few hundred dollars but I feel obligated to warn potential ASUS buyers of this product that will save others from going thru what I am and cost ASUS in the long run in terms of sales of this product and more important their brand image.

If this actually works, I'll post an update as I believe in being fair and honest about an experience.