What's new

ZenWiFi Pro XT12 AIMesh Issues - Irreparable... WPA3?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Macysumo

New Around Here
Had my ZenWiFi Pro ET12 (single not dual) Router for several weeks and it started having problems with AIMesh. It would see the mesh routers in the browser app but indicate that they're offline. Two mesh nodes were connected by ethernet backhaul and a third by 5 GHz wireless (two RT-AC3100 and a single RT-AX58U).

Troubleshooted for days and weeks, called ASUS and they suggested I roll back firmware from 388_22127 to 388_21739 and the after several hours of operation it returned to the same condition. A new call to ASUS admonished me for rolling back the firmware so I re-installed the latest in all mesh nodes and router but no joy! Still crap. After almost screaming at the tech he agreed to do an RMA whereupon I was required to pay my own way for shipping cost ($25).

After a few days I get the "unable to complete the repair of your RMA and will be reaching out to you shortly to confirm the replacement of your unit" message. Next, they say "Thanks for your inquiry! Service center has arranged to exchange your device."

This obviously isn't a firmware issue! Any ideas? I did see a FAQ (below) saying that WiFi 6E WPA3 should not be used unless all nodes had WPA3 because that authentication could cause a problem with AIMesh and users should revert to WPA2 Personal. I tried to change that selection in the dropdown menu but there was only Open System available.

My guess is the Security SoC (or ASIC) that the ZenWiFi ProET12 is using has issues.

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1042500
WPA3-Personal and AiMesh system
Some of the ASUS routers support WPA3-Personal to ensure your network security.
Before enabling WPA3-Personal as the authentication method, you need to check if all of your AiMesh nodes in your AiMesh system support WPA3-Personal.

This is a bit weird router mix and match choice because 2x routers run on 388 firmware, 2x routers run on 386 firmware, only 2x routers have AX capabilities, only 2x routers have the same radios, only your main router has 6E radio... I would be surprised if this AiMesh worked with no issues.

Had my ZenWiFi Pro ET12 (single not dual) Router for several weeks and it started having problems with AIMesh. It would see the mesh routers in the browser app but indicate that they're offline. Two mesh nodes were connected by ethernet backhaul and a third by 5 GHz wireless (two RT-AC3100 and a single RT-AX58U).

Troubleshooted for days and weeks, called ASUS and they suggested I roll back firmware from 388_22127 to 388_21739 and the after several hours of operation it returned to the same condition. A new call to ASUS admonished me for rolling back the firmware so I re-installed the latest in all mesh nodes and router but no joy! Still crap. After almost screaming at the tech he agreed to do an RMA whereupon I was required to pay my own way for shipping cost ($25).

After a few days I get the "unable to complete the repair of your RMA and will be reaching out to you shortly to confirm the replacement of your unit" message. Next, they say "Thanks for your inquiry! Service center has arranged to exchange your device."

This obviously isn't a firmware issue! Any ideas? I did see a FAQ (below) saying that WiFi 6E WPA3 should not be used unless all nodes had WPA3 because that authentication could cause a problem with AIMesh and users should revert to WPA2 Personal. I tried to change that selection in the dropdown menu but there was only Open System available.

My guess is the Security SoC (or ASIC) that the ZenWiFi ProET12 is using has issues.

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1042500
WPA3-Personal and AiMesh system
Some of the ASUS routers support WPA3-Personal to ensure your network security.
Before enabling WPA3-Personal as the authentication method, you need to check if all of your AiMesh nodes in your AiMesh system support WPA3-Personal.

Use Authentication Method WPA2/WPA3-Personal and let the nodes negotiate their best authetication permitted, WPA2 or WPA3.

OE

It worked over two months with no problems.

The previous 2019 RT-AC3100 was the main router for the second AC3100 and the AX58U and that AIMesh worked very well for three years. I needed more Ethernet speed so opted for a 2.5Gbps Zen ET12, upgraded my switches and got amazing wired speed gains.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!