What's new

ZenWiFi Pro XT12 - RAM usage

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Phillips39

New Around Here
Hi all,

Recently changed my set up to have a ZenWiFi Pro XT 12 as my main router with 3 XT8's in a Mesh set up with it. Am running Merlin 388.1 on the XT12 with latest stock firmware on the XT8's.

All has been pretty stable and speed and performance has been solidly impressive. Still debating whether to revert back to router plus three APs, but that's a discussion for another time and besides I quite like how the Mesh set up works and gives me control of all nodes through one login either via web or on the phone app.

However, my question is this - on the XT12 the RAM usage keeps creeping up to the high 90s. If I reboot it, it drops down to approx 50%, but over a period of a 2-3 weeks creeps back up again. Currently sitting at 93% after 10 days uptime since my last reboot (which was only due to a power cut in the area!). Doesn't seem to affect performance but can't imagine it maxing out to 100% would be good either? I've read other posts relating to RAM issues with other routers saying not to be worried about this as it doesn't work in the same way as a computer as it were.

I didn't have the issue on my pair of ax86s. Is this a known thing with the XT12 and is there a fix that could help, or should I not be too worried about it? I do quite like the idea of not having to reboot my router too often to refresh the RAM (as occasionally a node has been known to drop off afterwards!), so curious to know why it's doing this and if a fix in a forthcoming update is likely to change anything.

TIA.

Hi, execute
Code:
free
after you ssh into your XT12. The only one you should be concerned about is really under free buffers, not under free mem.

A healthy Linux with extra unused memory is wasteful. So Linux borrows the unused memory for disk caching. This makes it look like you are low on memory, but you are not.

Please look at this post:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/memory-usage.81526/post-797960

And Help! Linux Ate My RAM!

This is my system with ET8 (less than half the memory of ET12) and with 5 merlin add-on packages running fine:
2023-03-11_20-29-39.png

Hi, execute
Code:
free
after you ssh into your XT12. The only one you should be concerned about is really under free buffers, not under free mem.

A healthy Linux with extra unused memory is wasteful. So Linux borrows the unused memory for disk caching. This makes it look like you are low on memory, but you are not.

Please look at this post:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/memory-usage.81526/post-797960

And Help! Linux Ate My RAM!

This is my system with ET8 (less than half the memory of ET12) and with 5 merlin add-on packages running fine:
View attachment 48432

Many thanks for this. Very helpful.