What's new

ZenWiFi XT8 5GHz-1 as backhaul

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

joe_

New Around Here
Is there any way I can set or force the mesh node to use the 5GHz-1 band for backhaul (alongside other devices using it)?

I'm planning on disabling the 5GHz-2 backhaul band and don't want nodes connecting through 2.4GHz by default.

Is there any way I can set or force the mesh node to use the 5GHz-1 band for backhaul (alongside other devices using it)?

I'm planning on disabling the 5GHz-2 backhaul band and don't want nodes connecting through 2.4GHz by default.

I believe the 5-2 band is intended for a dedicated 4-stream wireless backhaul; the other bands are 2-stream and shared with client traffic. I would leave the backhaul on 5-2 for best performance/experience... or wire it.

OE

5GHz-1 band

Even if it is possible - 5GHz-1 band on XT8 is much slower 2-stream radio. It will hurt wireless AiMesh performance a lot.

I agree with @Tech9 -- it's really hard to imagine why this would be a good idea, unless maybe you are in a regulatory domain where you legally can't use the high-band radio. (If so, I'm afraid You Bought The Wrong Gear. That's an expensive radio to not be using.)

But to answer the question: I've seen no indication that the XT8s can be configured to do backhaul on the 5GHz-1 radio. It seems unlikely that ASUS would care to spend effort on testing/maintaining such a configuration, given what a blatant misuse of the available hardware resources it'd be.

You can disable 5GHz-1 and use 5GHz-2 as backhaul while at the same time letting also devices use this band for normal operation, like I do.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!