What's new

Zenwifi XT8 - can node use the WAN port for LAN?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

inf

New Around Here
I just got the XT8 to replace my first-gen Netgear Orbi for my Wifi and am little baffled.

My current setup also has oterh "new" stuff, as we got our 1gig fiber connection few weeks ago (hence wanted to upgrade my wifi too). Also I installed pfSense to a mini-pc to act as a router/firewall.

So currently the setup goes like: the fiber box -> pfsense WAN -> XT8 main node WAN port -- wireless connection--- XT8 mesh node.

The node will be placed on the "living room" and there is no wired backhaul possibility at the moment. I want to connect my tv and NAS etc with cables to Node. There are three lan ports and one WAN port. Can the WAN port be used as LAN port? I couldnt find any setting from the asus webgui (and there should be one right?). Running the newest asuswrt-merlin-gnuton firmware

The XT8 is currently in AP Mode as I dont need the dhcp and nat from the XT8 as the pfsense willl handle that, or am I doing this wrong?

Also anything specific to optimize considering the wifi performance for the XT8?

Current wifi settings (will change the weak password though :p)
24g.png5ghz2.png5ghz1.png

Last edited:
Can the WAN port be used as LAN port? I couldnt find any setting from the asus webgui (and there should be one right?). Running the newest asuswrt-merlin-gnuton firmware
No, it can't.

But if you need more ports you could simply buy a GB switch that is pretty cheap.

Reactions: inf
No, it can't.

But if you need more ports you could simply buy a GB switch that is pretty cheap.
Oh, I thought there was a option to make it work just as lan port.

well the gb switch is a possible thing too.

I've good news for you...:)

I've tested one of my XT8 nodes (connected via wireless backhaul) so to use the WAN (blue) port to connect to a 2.5GB switch to which one PC desktop is connected by cat6 2.5GB ethernet.

And it works! And the switch show a 2.5GB connection!

Sorry, I too didn't know that...
Anyway no options are available in the GUI to enable or indicate this feature.

Reactions: inf
I might be wrong, but I thought that in AP mode all the ports act more or less the same (barring the top-speed difference on the WAN port). I recall having done some experiments with my XT8 that were consistent with that.

I might be wrong, but I thought that in AP mode all the ports act more or less the same (barring the top-speed difference on the WAN port). I recall having done some experiments with my XT8 that were consistent with that.
Yes, in my experience, only router mode reserves the "WAN" (2.5 Gbe) port for WAN; in switch modes, all ports are available for LAN, and this guy confirms that AIMesh also works over a 2.5 to 2.5 connection in AP mode:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!