What's new

ZenWiFi XT8 - iPhones connected to Wi-fi but no internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I was having all kinds of issues with 25524 installed. I went back to 25224 firmware and it’s been good for a couple of days. 25509 and 25524 firmwares both had issues that need to be fixed quickly.

I hope this doesn’t turn into a Orbi situation where bad firmware updates ruined good hardware over time.

I have a similar but slightly different issue. I am using the manual or reserved IP's with DHCP server. I successfully got 36 setup on previous firmware, but can't add anymore. The router claims it supports up to 64, but it is not working. Anyone else with this issue?

I have tried rebooting, I even tried removing one of the 36 to add my new device. The delete didn't even work, so I am at a loss of what to try next.
I am running 3.0.0.4.386_25524. Not sure which previous firmware was working.

For awareness, since several people mentioned 25524 has several problems, I attempted going back to 25224 and 25217 with zero success. So I am stuck with 36 manual DHCP devices and anything new on my network is forced to auto DHCP until Asus can fix it in a future firmware. Not sure I want to 24648.

I can tell you I don't think it is an Apple problem as my iPhone 11 works fine on my Cisco AP in my house as well as my granddaughter's iPhone X. She has been here for over 3 weeks. We have not had to do any resets or reboots the iPhones work fine. And we do lots of Wi-Fi calling as cell reception is poor in my house. I should add my wife's iPhone 7 works well also.

Last edited:
It’s definitely not an iOS problem. I’ve got four iPhone 11’s, iPads, Apple TV’s and a Mac no issues with any of them. I do have them on 5ghz-1 with 80mhz channel only selected with 160mhz off and AX enabled.

Me too. I have 3 iPads with my granddaughters and an AppleTV also that I did not mention. No issues with DHCP. They just work. Mostly they work on 5 GHz unless we go outside and then they switch to 2.4 GHz.

And right now I am doing a test with the AppleTV 4K using 5 GHz wireless instead of a wired connection because some ASUS person was having problems with their AppleTV with drop outs or disconnects I can't remember. It runs the same for me wired or wireless. I lost track of the thread.

Last edited:
I went back to the 25224 firmware and it’s been solid for three days now. Don’t know if it could help your issue but it’s working better than the 25524 and 25509 firmwares.

Apparently i am not the only one with problems with XT8. Devices constantly loses connection after 2-3 days and i have to reboot both my XT8 to get it working again. Really happy with the interface and mobil app but can not stand the instability. Return time will end next week - and i will probably return it and go back to my RAX80. Sorry if this is not a productive post - really had to get it out of my system. Back to basics i guess.

Well I had a slowdown after five days on 25224, not a disconnect but a slowdown on 5ghz to half its normal speed. Reboot gets it back to normal so I setup a scheduled reboot every three days and see how it goes. It’s disappointing and should be fixed with a firmware upgrade so I’ll hang on to it, I’m passed any return date.

What I have noticed is that on my 5-1 network which is dedicated to n and ac devices, my old Macbook which is an n device looses connectivity to the 5-1 network until I reboot. Thankfully all the other devices whether on my 2.4 network dedicated to IoT and 5-2 network for ax devices has not had any issues.

For me its primarily 5-1 that becomes weird after a day or two, but 5-2 sometimes also gets difficult to connect to. Even my Chromecast Ultra that is connected via wire stops working every now and then. Fore some reason 2.4 seems fairly stable. I have 50-60 devices connected and get tired of rebooting routers all the time. When participating in beta tests i can accept the behavior but this has been out for a while it should be reasonably stable. If i saw some action from Asus i might reconsider but as it is now i probably return it.

For me its primarily 5-1 that becomes weird after a day or two, but 5-2 sometimes also gets difficult to connect to. Even my Chromecast Ultra that is connected via wire stops working every now and then. Fore some reason 2.4 seems fairly stable. I have 50-60 devices connected and get tired of rebooting routers all the time. When participating in beta tests i can accept the behavior but this has been out for a while it should be reasonably stable. If i saw some action from Asus i might reconsider but as it is now i probably return it.

It feels like a beta product, and that combined with poor customer support from Asus, really makes things like this difficult to troubleshoot.

It feels like a beta product, and that combined with poor customer support from Asus, really makes things like this difficult to troubleshoot.
It's the early adopter cost, early firmware of a 1st gen device with new technology. It will mature with updates but may just take a while unfortunately. I've had a pretty good experience overall, few strange bugs that I expect to be ironed out with new firmware fingers crossed.

The issue however is that Asus CS treats you like an idiot. After the first response, I knew I was going to get nowhere. It’s the usual ‘have you plugged everything in’ type CS.

I’ve attempted to try a few additional settings this week, specifications turning off the 'Target Wake Time' option on my non-ax networks to see if that helps. Will see how that get on.

Interestingly, if I run Acrylic Wifi on my windows machine and do a scan, I've noticed that my 2.4 network despite having WPS switched off, seems to show one node with WPS enabled. My Macbook Pro also seems to think that one 2.4 network has g/b/n and the other one ac, yet I have selected n only as the option to ensure full compatibility with IoT devices. Again this shows a firmware related issue, but I am not sure if it is worth reporting this to Asus as I am sure I will again be told I don't know what I am talking about and that my scanning software is wrong on both devices.

It's the early adopter cost, early firmware of a 1st gen device with new technology. It will mature with updates but may just take a while unfortunately. I've had a pretty good experience overall, few strange bugs that I expect to be ironed out with new firmware fingers crossed.
A couple things, first: I hope you are right. I have quite a few really strange bugs that are hard to pinpoint, but my biggest one is the manual DHCP. It is basically completely broken on every firmware I have tried in the 25xxx series.
But, like others, I am way past return date, so its time to hunker down and just figure out ways to solve all my issues with something other than the XT8 because it has too many odd issues and I don't plan to spend 2-5 hours a day figuring them out.

@Daylight_Invader -- dude, never expect CS has any clue of the product they support.....they don't....ever. Not just Asus, its a common problem for all technology. You would be better served just leaning how things work and digging in yourself. Great way to have fun, learn stuff, and educate others on forums like this.
But, on other hand, I get that we want to buy something and have it work as advertised. Pretty rare occurrence these days. I am usually glad to share logs/feedback/opinions/etc to company support teams, but would never expect the front line (1-800-xxx-xxxx) would have a clue of what my problem could be and thus I have never called one.
My opinion/advise......use forums like this for tough problems because many people on here are way way more knowledgeable than any CS team ever will be. (no punches, just reality of business)

I have submitted my stuff to whoever gets "feedback" from the XT8, but not sure if/when/how they will respond. I am just hoping next firmware fixes some of the DHCP issues that are big fails for my world.

Make sure you do a full factory reset of both using the WPS & power button reset method. I’ve found using the GUI reset method doesn’t work on the XT8.
Ok, I will admit I have not done factory reset yet. I have exhausted pretty much every other option at this point. When you have family (and kids) wanting 100% uptime, then this option is hard to suggest, but I think I need to bite the bullet and try it soon.

The family has to sleep sometime, as the generic IT guy, you don't. :)

I'm having the same problem as described too. Wonder why this keeps happening. I'm running 1 on router mode and the other as a wireless node. Did a search online and found this helpful thread and relieved to see that others are also facing similar issues. I guess its some DHCP issue. The situation did improve for my devices after turning off QOS for me.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!