What's new

ZenWifi XT8 Link aggregation (LAN)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TBONE204

Regular Contributor
Hi there,
just wondering if anyone knows if there can be link aggregation (LAG) with the ZenWifi XT8. I've read you can aggregate for WAN purposes but my concern is that I would like link aggregation for the LAN to connect to a switch or a NAS device.

I'm strongly considering this setup but would like to know if LAG is possible, or will be possible with a firmware update. This is not a total dealbreaker for me but may consider other options if it's not going to be available.

Last edited:
UPDATE: Looking at Synology NAS, i'm wondering if the Adaptive Load Balancing would work in place of link aggregation. If anyone has experience using a Synology NAS connected to a router that does not support link aggregation, please let me know your experience.

I have exactly that configuration. ZenWiFi AX + Synology DS918+

Previously I had the NAS connected by 802.3ad "Link Aggregation" using another router that did support it, the RT-AX92U and now with the ZenWiFi AX I have it connected with Adaptative Load Balancing.

I can confirm you, that it goes exactly as fast in one way as another

Of course, in addition, you also have to activate Jumbo Frames both on the router and on the NAS.

King regards

Amazing! Thank you for your response. So is it safe to say, overall you are satisfied with your setup. Is there any drawbacks to your setup? do you have the NAS connected to the router or the node?

Amazing! Thank you for your response. So is it safe to say, overall you are satisfied with your setup. Is there any drawbacks to your setup? do you have the NAS connected to the router or the node?

As I said, it works the same (the increase in speed is noticeable) in one way than another. I tried it both ways with my previous router, the RT-AX92U that had support for 802.3ad "Link Aggregation". Now with the ZenWiFi AX that doesn't have 802.3ad support, it's going just as well.

Of course, you will only notice, if you access the NAS from more than one device at a time and with heavy transfers because if you only access from a single PC, you will be limited by its gigabit connection.

Or In the case that the NAS is downloading a heavy file from the internet at very high speeds and at the same time you want to access to download something heavy also from your PC (the latter is my usual case).

I have the NAS connected to the router, not to the node

Bond 1.JPG
Bond 2.JPG

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!