What's new

Zenwifi XT8 speed confusion - what should I see?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

davekstl

Regular Contributor
I updated my ISP from 200 to 400 Mbps. So I tested the throughput, the ISP Modem is putting out 467 Mbps. I am testing using an ethernet cable directly from my laptop to the Modem.
When testing the Router using the same method, same laptop, same cable, directly into the Router, my speeds are half of the Modem. Anywhere from 197 ~ 267 Mbps. I expected the same as the Modem, or very close.
So before I panic, can anyone explain what my real expectation should be?
And if the router should be faster, how do I achieve that?
Thanks
Dave

I updated my ISP from 200 to 400 Mbps. So I tested the throughput, the ISP Modem is putting out 467 Mbps. I am testing using an ethernet cable directly from my laptop to the Modem.
When testing the Router using the same method, same laptop, same cable, directly into the Router, my speeds are half of the Modem. Anywhere from 197 ~ 267 Mbps. I expected the same as the Modem, or very close.
So before I panic, can anyone explain what my real expectation should be?
And if the router should be faster, how do I achieve that?
Thanks
Dave
The XT8's should be able handle those speeds. If you're wired directly on the main node then you should be able to push that speed. If you're wireless and standing next to the main node you should still be able to get 400Mbps.

The XT8's have been buggy, hopefully firmware updates will fix, but make sure you're on the latest firmware. You may need to ensure that you're also not double NAT'ing.

I'm on a Gigabit up and down and I can get those speed when wired directly. My wifi speeds if I'm nearby have reached up to 600-800 up/down.

I am wired directly to the router and there are no other connections for the test. The speeds vary 467 ~270...i assume the speed with no load except the laptop would be even
I dont understand NATing, can you explain.
Thanks

Double NAT'ing just means you're behind 2 firewalls. This is usually a problem if you're using a modem/router combo. Do you know if the modem is a modem/router combo? If so then you'll need to place the modem/router in bridge mode and have your XT8 handle the firewall.

That's odd. I'm assuming it has something to do with your settings then, do you have aiprotection turned on or any other services on?

I think you said this but you are sure your cable is a cat5e that goes from the modem to the router and a cat5e that goes from the router to your laptop?

I am not a network person...I understand the connections, and how to isolate troubleshooting. But I do not always know the correct expectations. So I can run speed test on the LAN and get 467 Mbps. But it will fall off to 200+ Mbps on the LAN. I then test the WFI and it is 467 and then test the LAN again and it is 200+ Mbps. Now maybe that is normal. That is why I ask for clarification. I do have a Case going with Asus and waiting for some response.

If I'm understanding this correctly when you are connected to the router you do get 467, but sometimes it falls of to 200+. Same with WiFi. However when you are connected directly to the modem you are consistently getting 467 with no dropoffs into the low 200's?

If that's the case then there's definitely something going on with your router and/or the settings. I would say start from a factory reset but I'm guessing you probably tried that. I wouldn't be surprised if it's some sort of bug, as the XT8 has been finicky for myself as well. Firmware up to date? There's also a beta firmware update that has been posted that people are saying resolves a lot of issues. https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-386-rc2-public-beta-with-full-functions-aimesh-2-0.65235/

I'm not having your exact issue but I am having random issues with wifi drop offs and random devices getting kicked off the network. At this point I'm just waiting for additional firmwares updates to fix all the issues with this new product.

Sorry couldn't be of more help. If you do resolve the issue I'd be curious as to what the root cause was.

This is very helpful. I do not understand if it is a hardware item failing or as you say firmware.
Thanks

Did your problem get solved?
Not really were I understand. I am trying to force the furthest node tp link to eh node closest, I can do it by rebooting, but then it changes. So the Router is on one end of the house, there is a second node in-between, then the third node. The third one keeps connecting to the router which is a weak signal. This is all on the Mesh on 5g WIFI. It is expensive to pull Cat 6 the distance. I thought about going to a Power Adaptor, what do you think?
I thought I read that new firmware is coming that will have the capability to assign a node, yes, no?
Dave

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!