What's new

Zenwifi XT8 wired backhaul

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I can't tell you much about that "NIU" unit, since I can't find any specs for it (just a few translated forum pages), other than saying that it appears to be a powered amplifier ... and I am pretty confident that it isn't an amp that is "designed for MoCA," so you likely wouldn't have an ideal setup were it to be a central component in passing your MoCA signals.

My question Re: this amp is ... you say that you're not using port 2, because you have a VDSL Internet connection. Are you using the other ports (3-5) for TV service, and so they need to remain connected to this amp? Is the coax line that run to the Office location currently in use for TV(?), such that it needs to remain connected to the amp?
Port 3-5 are not being used at all at the moment.
So in other words i have no signal at the moment on any of the coax cables.
I have IPTV that is going coming in through a telephone connection that is being put on my powerline adapter.

Below you can find another picture with the amplification on the ports.
Would i be possible to give me a link what splitter unit would be ideal for moca in my situation ?
I live in a appartement so the cable lenght of the coax cables is max 15 a 20meter.

coax 004.jpg

Also, which of the rooms in your OP diagram correspond to the rooms 1, 2 & 3 coax lines (lines 3-5) annotated on the amp image? For that matter, where does the "CM" line (line 2) connect in the house, the VDSL modem/router location?
Line 2 used to be connected to a coax Modem from a ISP. Some years ago a switched to VDSL.
The modem is still hanging against the wall but is inplugged from a power socket. In other words the modem is not being used.

Also, my impression is that this isn't an install within the US, so I'm also unfamiliar with what frequencies would be in use by your provider for Internet/TV/phone service, and whether the available retail MoCA adapters would still be compatible. (MoCA adapters operate between 1125-1675 MHz.)

I live in Belgium

A typical approach in your situation would be to just give it a try and see if MoCA can function through the amp; then troubleshoot, if not. This approach would involve installing a "PoE" MoCA filter on the amp's RF input (to secure the MoCA signals inside the home), then installing a main MoCA/Ethernet bridging MoCA adapter wherever it can be connected to the shared coax plant *and* the Ethernet LAN established by the router (typically at the modem/router location, but this isn't mandatory). You'd then install one or more "client" MoCA adapters wherever you were looking to add wired network connectivity, providing coax connections back to the shared coax plant.

If you found that the amplifier blocked MoCA connectivity, you could then try establishing a smaller MoCA network, perhaps using a 2-way splitter hanging off one of the DS output ports to connect two of your coax lines off a single amplifier output -- but with a MoCA filter on this splitter's input. This MoCA filter placement would keep the MoCA signals from ever reaching the amplifier, but would limit the MoCA network to just the two coax lines hanging off the 2-way splitter. (Your original need, to provide the Zenwifi units a wired backhaul, would seem to be met if a simple high-bandwidth MoCA connection could be made just between the Living Room and Office.) This workaround to avoid the amp could look something like the following, though you'd be the judge of which lines to employ:

So it will be try and error.
I will need to 2 moca boxes and a filter to install on line 1
Can anyone tell me based on the pictures what kind of connector types i have ?

Port 3-5 are not being used at all at the moment.
Line 2 used to be connected to a coax Modem from a ISP. Some years ago a switched to VDSL.
The modem is still hanging against the wall but is inplugged from a power socket. In other words the modem is not being used.
So none of the lines 2-5 are currently in-use and could be repurposed. Do you know which coax line goes to the Office, and which line runs to the Living Room, where your Zenwifi devices are located?

Per the last comment in my updated post above, if you're just looking for a MoCA connection between your 2 Zenwifi devices:
Of course, this last setup could be simplified further if the coax lines are not in use at all, at present, allowing you to simply disconnect the two needed lines from the amplifier and join them using a 3 GHz barrel connector ... making a direct coax connection between the two MoCA adapters.
You would only need a F-81 barrel connector (e.g.) -- no splitter or MoCA filter -- to join the two coax runs between rooms, forming a direct connection rather than a typical tree hierarchy.

That greatly simplifies getting the two locations connected; but the issue of the wall plates remains.

p.s.
I live in Belgium
I'm presently visiting my mom and we've been cranking through the 3 seasons of 'Professor T' (Koen De Bouw), and she's really enjoying it. She uttered "I'm really going to miss Professor T," tonight, as we reached the half-way point of season 3.

So none of the lines 2-5 are currently in-use and could be repurposed. Do you know which coax line goes to the Office, and which line runs to the Living Room, where your Zenwifi devices are located?
I don't know what cable is going to what room, this will be try and error.

Per the last comment in my updated post above, if you're just looking for a MoCA connection between your 2 Zenwifi devices:
You would only need a F-81 barrel connector (e.g.) -- no splitter or MoCA filter -- to join the two coax runs between rooms, forming a direct connection rather than a typical tree hierarchy.

That greatly simplifies getting the two locations connected; but the issue of the wall plates remains.

Thanks, i looked the barrel connector up on amazon.
This indeed will simplify things.

p.s.

I'm presently visiting my mom and we've been cranking through the 3 seasons of 'Professor T' (Koen De Bouw), and she's really enjoying it. She uttered "I'm really going to miss Professor T," tonight, as we reached the half-way point of season 3.

Uuuh ;) , nice to know the she enjoyed the serie..

I don't know what cable is going to what room, this will be try and error.
A coax tester similar to the following can make the cable identification easier:
edit: Of course, these coax testers assume F-connections on each side, so they won't be too useful with those wall plates.

Would i be possible to give me a link what splitter unit would be ideal for moca in my situation ?
*IF* you were to want to extend your MoCA network to additional rooms, you'd need to shift from the direct connection using the barrel connector to a splitter. The recommended splitter has been the Holland GHS-PRO-M series (specs), though Verizon, Starburst and Amphenol Broadband Solutions also offer splitters specifically designed for MoCA.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!