What's new

Zyxel Multy X AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
zyxel_multyx_product.jpg
Zyxel' Multy X AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System is unlikely to put a dent in Orbi sales.

Read on SmallNetBuilder

I think it might be an interesting product. A little bit put-off by the 2.4 GHz performance though...
But reading the amount of threads/posts over at Netgear Orbi forum with people experiencing dropouts and other problems, with no sign of Netgear recognizing it, is more serious...

I own and have extensively used both of these products. The Orbi may win in lab tests, and it is a brilliant performer when it works, but those don't mean much in the real world if it just doesn't work as it should and isn't reliable. The Orbi (RBK50) was the first mesh system I tried, took it back due to major stability issues, including regularly losing internet and satellites constantly losing sync. I probably reset it 30 times in the first day I owned it, it was that bad. Replaced it with an RBK43 system which was not a whole lot better, and ended up calling support. Turned out I even had to leave the default SSID in place for it to remain somewhat stable, and even that didn't stave off the satellite drops for long. I tried an RBR50 router with two RBS40 and an RBW30 satellite, same issues. I still have several pieces of Orbis i don't use.

I do agree that the Orbi has a better 5 GHz client connection, but the Multy seems to have a more stable backhaul connection as my satellite has never dropped after weeks of ownership. The computers I use most often are connected to the satellite via ethernet and I get my my full paid internet speeds all the time and a 400-450 mb/s backhaul connection.

I now use the Multy X system, and while it is far from perfect, it is leaps and bounds better than the Orbi from a stability standpoint. I did have some issues with Multy (turned out to be Google Chromecast issues) and reached out to their support, and the problems appear to be resolved as Google released a fix. It's also easier to control/reboot remotely via the app when I am traveling, and (unlike the Orbi) I have never not been able to access my Multy through the app while on the road. You can also reboot the Multy satellite independently. Real-world performance feel and speed test numbers in my small house are very close between the two systems, and both easily max out my 300 down/30 up Mb/s internet connection. The Multy units are also interchangeable, unlike Orbi, and each Multy can be used as a router or satellite. I will say that while the Multy's app works very well for setup, it's pretty horrible for all but the most basic functions, and Orbi is much more configurable with its web page, if you can get the config to work right. All in all, I'd take the Multy X any day over Orbi.

Last edited:
Good to hear from someone who actually used both in a real environment.
I've been thinking that maybe the reason Orbi has so many complaints is because so many are sold. That basically all mesh systems has issues being a new technique. But their forum is completely filled with unhappy threads so I doubt it's just due to large volumes sold.
Asus Lyra was another that looked promising, but seems to be even worse than Orbi...
I will consider the Multy. To bad it's not wall/ceiling mountable.
I might go with unifi including USG, switch and 2 AP's, but that's gonna require a lot more work installing Ethernet thru the house...

Ztevie, I thought about wiring with ethernet and access points, too. I have tried so many of these systems and it just seems like most of them were rushed to market without adequate testing and with lots of bugs. The Lyra intrigued me also, but both the tech and consumer reviews have been pretty horrible and their backhaul from what I have read is a disaster. I tried the Orbi for so long and really wanted to like it, and had always been a big Netgear fan. I had come from an extremely stable Airport Extreme setup, however, so my expectations were very high. Orbi has a small but significant percentage of users who have had major stability issues, and the issues are almost all around dropped internet and satellite sync issues. There is definitely something there with the hardware/firmware and I think compatibility with certain types of client devices, and as you stated in your first post, Netgear just doesn't seem to really be making an effort to address it. They're one of the world's biggest networking companies and you'd think they'd have the resources to get it right. I do have a lot of devices, right now I am up to 85-90. I will say one mesh system that for me was extremely stable and reliable is Eero, but I just can't seem to get more than 200-240 or so Mb/s at the nodes. But, Eero just never crashes and they claim they can handle up to 128 clients per node which is amazing (Velop is only 32 in comparison). I do hope Zyxel works on the app as it's very slow, not really well designed, and just doesn't do much, but the system overall works pretty well. Eero's app is stellar, but they to have no web page and seems most of the router makers are moving towards app-only config due to security issues. In addition, Zyxel's support is based in Taiwan and while their user forums are very good with Zyxel employees actively involved and helpful, it can still take a while with emails back and forth to get resolution from their tech support. Really, from a hardware and speed standpoint, the Multy is the only real competitor Orbi has on the market I have seen.

Last edited:
Yeah, even if it's a small percentage having problems, the problems are so severe...
I mean, dropping internet and losing sync with satellites. What a nightmare!
At the end of the day I just want stable, reliable WiFi with decent speed/performance. I'd like to get it running and be able to leave it there to do it's job. I don't mind rebooting/resetting devices once in a while. But every day/week just to keep it going is unacceptable...
What's attractive about unifi is I can do a really clean install with everything tucked away except the UAP's mounted to the ceiling. Seems like a pretty reliable system aswell. And the Unifi controller GUI is a big plus too, really nice.
I have some time to think about this, the fiber will be installed in my house in a few months, so I will keep an eye on the Multy as the sales increase.
I'd appreciate if you could report how your's are doing once in a while here?
Thanks!

Sure thing, will do. Yes, I was having to have someone come to the house every day or so and reboot my Orbi and/or satellites - there was no reliability and I couldn't trust the system. I've had to reboot the Multy remotely a few times, but was always able to do it through the app. And the Eero, well it was phenomenal - never went down. If only they could improve their speeds. It's the perfect system if your connection is under 250 Mb/s or so. So you're having fiber installed - assume a 1 Gb/s connection? If that's the case, and you can afford it, if I were you I'd do ethernet and the Unifi with AP's with that type of service to see its full potential. Yes more hassle and money but at least you'd get what you're paying for throughout your house. I probably should have taken my own advice and had my home ethernet wired, for all the money I have spent on these different mesh systems. Eero does wired backhaul really well from what I have read though their real-world wireless transmissions are limited to 240 Mb/s (2.4 GHz) and 600 Mb/s (5 GHz). The TP Link Deco also now supports ethernet backhaul and is quite a bit cheaper. Orbi now supports ethernet backhaul, but don't know if Multy does yet (doubt it). Neither the Orbi nor the Multy is really special as a standalone router; excluding the backhaul bands they're both your ho-hum 1300AC dual-band routers and neither has exceptionally great range individually (my Linksys EA9300 was dramatically better than either as a standalone router). Not sure why anyone would want either Orbi or Multy for an ethernet backhaul based system; you can get as good or better performance for a lot less $ with other systems. Where they both excel is as wireless backhaul systems, though my actual backhaul connection on my Multy has always been <500 Mb/s (the app lets you test it), even though the backhaul band is rated at 1733 Mb/s.

Last edited:
I'll probably start with 1gb. It's open fiber so I can freely choose ISP. Have quite a few to choose from and almost everyone will give you half price for up to a year as a first time customer...
I can change ISP every year and try them out with the discount, so I'll probably do that for a couple of years, haha...
To get the fiber installed I only pay around $200, so that's a bargain aswell. It's the municipality I live in here in Sweden that decided that 95% of the population in town should have access to fiber within the next few years. Of course we all indirectly pay thru tax but I won't argue...

So you still had problems with having to reboot Multy? Lost internet connection? Disappointing, but far better being able to do it thru the app.

I'm leaning towards Unifi. A USG, 8 Port 60w POE switch, and 2 AP Lite or LR should have me covered. Then either a cloud key or setting up the controller on NAS att home or at a VPS.
It's a 2500 square feet one storey house so I can pull Ethernet cables thru the space in the attic and to wherever I place my AP's. Shouldn't be too much work.

I should clarify on the Multy - no re-boots for about a week now, and no issues. The reboots were mainly from earlier when I would lose all wireless clients every two days or so, always early in the morning (though I could still access the Multy remotely through the app) because my Google devices were apparently overloading it and shutting it down. Zyxel's support was able to replicate my problem. Google has since released a fix and there have been no issues. My Eero never did have problems with my Google Home devices. I added a third Multy so now have three, and seems to be working fine.

I can get Gigabit service here, but would have to switch providers and just haven't done it yet. I think you have to use their equipment which I don't want to do. My current service's max is 300 Mb/s which I have.

All the ISP's I can choose from give you a choice to use your own gear. I have already a fiber box installed, and will just connect a router to it.
To be honest, 300 would be enough for me, but if I can get 1gb for the same price, I'm thinking why not....

Edit: I think I've read something about Google services overloading some routers lately. But iirc some companies pushed an update fixing it and Google has probably fine something aswell.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!