What's new

Zyxel NAS325 - not getting anywhere fast :-(

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This is unbelievable! Just fired up the starter utility again and the admin page and file browser options are now available via my desktop. I've made no system changes and the only update that has installed in the last 24 hours is a Windows Defender update - could this have been a Windows 8 compatibility issue?

All I need to work out now is remote access to my files..........:eek:

Many thanks to you all for your help :)

It is a simple one.. Something happen on your end. Windows 8 is blocking access to the web admin. Are you running Norton on that Windows 8?

Hi, thanks for your reply. No I'm not using Norton, only using Windows 8 own security and I again appear to have lost access to the admin page - without making any changes since yesterday :eek:

Anyway, I can live with the admin page issue but can anyone advise how I can set up remote access? So far:

1. I've registered for a no-ip account
2. Configured my TP-Link router with the relevant account details and it has connected

I've then tried to log into my *******.no-ip.biz through my phones browser but it does not connect. Am I doing something wrong/silly by any chance?

Cheers :)

Hi, thanks for your reply. No I'm not using Norton, only using Windows 8 own security and I again appear to have lost access to the admin page - without making any changes since yesterday :eek:

Anyway, I can live with the admin page issue but can anyone advise how I can set up remote access? So far:

1. I've registered for a no-ip account
2. Configured my TP-Link router with the relevant account details and it has connected

I've then tried to log into my *******.no-ip.biz through my phones browser but it does not connect. Am I doing something wrong/silly by any chance?

Cheers :)

Which TP-LINK router model are you using.. Does it see your NAS setup with static IP address. Do not use DHCP IP address on the NAS. You don't want the IP address to change. Of course you could reserve it not to change. NAS runs better with Static IP.

So you want to connect remotely to your NSA325. Have you tested remote control via one of your systems yet?

Does your router see the NSA325?

Hi, I'm using the TP-Link WR841N. I've set the IP address to static on the NAS and configured the router with the no-ip details. The NAS is accessible on my wireless network from all PCs but I would ideally like to access it from work. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi, I'm using the TP-Link WR841N. I've set the IP address to static on the NAS and configured the router with the no-ip details. The NAS is accessible on my wireless network from all PCs but I would ideally like to access it from work. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Your Work, do you own this business if then you can have it setup your way. Now if your on a Company Domain that your not the owner, then you need to get your LAN support or Network Admin to give you rights to access your home network to get to your NSA325.

The way I use to do it from work to access my network was via a Proxy Server back door access. But again if this is your own business you should be able to do the same method, if not then again check with your IT Dept and address your needs to them.

If your company network is block from your home network for a reason. That's why they use VPN with RSA Secured ID token or passcode key fobs today. I still have mine until it expires.

The other method you can have someone at your office or your at your home then sync the connections. No-IP stuff just needs the router on around the clock to gain access to your network.

To get around the domain access you can use your smartphone over 4G LTE to access your NSA325 that way. Along with share files to a cloud network. Box.com and push the files up to the box, then use what you need from box.com to your work PC.

Last edited:

Thanks

If you work for a company of any substance, their IT policy probably prohibits remote access to ANY file servers, including your own. Most corporations use Websense and firewalls to block such. And often, block social networking sites.

Hi, I am a High School teacher and only want to access a copy of my teaching resources remotely if my portable hard drive fails on me.

Just peace of mind really :)

the school's LAN will block, no doubt. But via cellular, you can access.

At home, if your phone connects to your own WiFi, it probably won't access your NAS using your symbolic network address (no-ip). That's because of what's called the trombone-effect. Most routers don't work right for trombone... this is where you say http:myname.mydomain.org:1234 or some such, and your router doesn't bounce the connection right back to your own LAN and NAS.

If tromboning is at fault, you can see it happen: Use your home-WiFi connected device. Connect, instead of myname.mydomain.com:xxxx, use your LAN address when at home, like http://192.168.1.250:xxxx where that is the STATIC IP you gave to your NAS box.

Hi, I am a High School teacher and only want to access a copy of my teaching resources remotely if my portable hard drive fails on me.

Just peace of mind really :)

Get permission from the School Board or whoever you report too. Local Policies will not allow you to do what you want to do. The fear of hackers coming in. Best bet is to use your cell phone to connect to the NSA325 You can download files via dropbox the NSA325 supports dropbox (cloud base servers) You do have a lot of options.

many corporations, and I suppose schools too, for computers on the organization's LAN, block access to social networking and file sharing servers such as drop box and all the others.

They use WebSense with proxy DNS and so on so it's pretty hard to beat.

Some don't block, for whatever reason, including naivete. It's disconcerting when a small/medium business doesn't pay attention to IT security and they and/or their customers will suffer.

Hi, it would seem that my original hope of accessing files remotely from school in case of a hard drive failure may be more of a problem than I first anticipated. I think I'll just accept it's use as a wireless network drive/DLNA server.

Thanks for your help :)

Hi, it would seem that my original hope of accessing files remotely from school in case of a hard drive failure may be more of a problem than I first anticipated. I think I'll just accept it's use as a wireless network drive/DLNA server.

Thanks for your help :)

Try: Free Dynamic DNS search for that in google.
Setup your Router to use your current ISP IP address to Dynamic DNS.
I would leave a PC on your network running so you can access your NAS.

But for all of this to work right you have to permission and port to access from your job to your home network. If they have it block like I was talking to someone at the Board of Education that all domains are locked down. You just can't access your home network from your job.

You can access the NSA325 using a smart cell phone or smart tablet with cell phone features though. This is another options you can try.

Probably NOT a dynamic DNS issue. Earlier advise was that the school probably firewall-blocks access to other than port 80, and blocks FTP, etc.

The home router should have a dynamic DNS setup in it - by the owner. DynDNS.org is the biggest free one.

You can do the same from within most NAS, but it's better to do it in the router.

Probably NOT a dynamic DNS issue. Earlier advise was that the school probably firewall-blocks access to other than port 80, and blocks FTP, etc.

The home router should have a dynamic DNS setup in it - by the owner. DynDNS.org is the biggest free one.

You can do the same from within most NAS, but it's better to do it in the router.

The only way is to access device using the Android app for it. But data plans ouch or he has unlimited data using pre-paid cell. Again that school not going to let usage like this. Heck they won't you connect via Facebook in this county.