What's new

ZyXel PLA4205 Homeline setup capabilities

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mizagorn

New Around Here
Hi folks! First time poster, just joined and really enjoying the quality of the site already. If nothing else, it has already been worth my time. :)

A few months ago, I had a client call and ask if I could set up a wireless home network for him. "Sure, no problem!"

He lives out in the country, so DSL is not an option and he does not want to get cable just for that. He already had a cellular modem on his PC but the wife wanted an iPad.

So I got the house itself set up just fine, but he also wanted to get an internet signal out to a massive shop/man cave about 300 feet from the house. Direct burial was not an option.

After some research, I discovered the Homeline adapters, and specifically liked the way the ZyXel PLA 4205 starter kit adapters looked.

Up to 300 meters!
Up to 500 Mbps!!

That was my first experience with those types of things, and since then, of course, I've learned that the figures are quite hyped, especially the throughput. However, the throughput actually available is just fine for his type of internet connection.

The problem is this, apparently: It turns out the signal will have to travel through a subpanel (breaker box) in the bedroom, then through the main panel outside the house, then 300 feet to the shop, then through another subpanel.

I rewired several breakers to make sure everything was on the same phase, but to no avail. The adapters work well inside the house. No power strips or anything else plugged in to the same outlets.

The question is this: Is going through three panels, plus the distance, too much for any type of Homeline configuration like that? If so, are there other options? I'm thinking an exterior repeater, but not sure he would want to go to that expense.

Thanks very much for taking the time to read!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!