What's new

2.4ghz and 5ghz clients cant communicate with each other

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Oh, I also took a packet capture and just basically saw broadcasts for the 2.4ghz client with no response from the router. ARP table on router has both source and destination MAC’s present.

Took a diff of my show nvram and see that when the wireless stops working the following values are different.

This is working config vs failed config:
- obd_allow_scan=0 vs not present in nvram
- wl1_dpp_status=15 vs wl1_dpp_status=16
- wl_radio=0 vs wl_radio=1

I tried looking at the source of the code in merlin's github repo but I don't understand these values yet. Not sure if the next time it fails if I can just set these to what they are when the router is working and test communication.

I am having the same problem. My ASUS laptop (on 5Ghz wifi) will not communicate with our Canon Printer which is on 2.4Ghz and same with another device on our network. I submitted a support request with ASUS and received an extensive email with initial steps to try with settings. This worked (like others in this forum) for a short time then reverted to non-communication between bands again. The next steps they offered were to hard reset, or go back to previous firmware. I have tried many things and find it frustrating that I have to move my ASUS laptop to the 2.4ghz band to simply print a document. Wondering if anyone has any updates or knows of anything else to try ?? I am using ASUS firmware

I’ve had to settle on using the reboot scheduler in the administration menu and rebooting the router overnight, weekly when i know no one is using it.

ASUS wasn’t helpful when i raised this either and it seems they either don’t know how to fix it or don’t care.

Yeah I basically resorted to running a SOCKS5 proxy server on my NAS which is connected via ethernet (as ethernet connected devices can always access all clients it seems) and using the proxy on my phone and computer so they can access 2.4GHz clients.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!