What's new

2nd USB hdd problem with RT-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hshang

New Around Here
I have Asus RT-N66U with Merlin 270.25 firmware. I'm trying to connect 2 USB hdd into it. If I just connect 1 hdd (any of two), it works very well.
But if I connect 2nd one (mount as sdb1), on the web gui samba page, it report "Wrong folderName when get permission!" error message when I try to set the 2nd hdd permission. No problem with the 1st hdd.
I try telnet into it and the /tmp/mnt/sdb1 (2nd hdd) looks ok.
Does anybody have this problem? Any way to fix it?

try updating to 3.0.0.4.270.26b?
its change log is:
- FIXED: Volume labels with spaces were rejected (Asus used the same code
to validate hostnames and volume labels)

(not sure if it will help but it is the newest firmware from Merlin and also has a change that removes the sdb1 and should make it the drive name.. so may be worth a shot)

Make sure you don't enable Short share names, otherwise you might get duplicate share names.

Thanks for the help but problem still exist.
I upgrade to 270.26b but still the same problem.
I didn't turn on the short name. The web gui could get the correct folder name. But couldn't get the permission. The permission always get as 000 (None of permission radio button was checked). It always pop a warning window say "Wrong folderName when get permission!" for every folder.It like this: click the + in front of the sdb1, it shows the first folder name then pop the error message window, click OK, it shows the 2nd folder name then pop the error message again and so on. None of the permission was checked on the right of the folder name.
I could use the root user/password to access the samba share. But I can not set other user permissions.

More info:
The 1st hdd was formatted as ext3 and it has transmission in it.
The 2nd hdd is ntfs.

More info:
The 1st hdd was formatted as ext3 and it has transmission in it.
The 2nd hdd is ntfs.

Did you give the partitions a label name? If yes, what are the names?
If no, add a label and check if this solves the problem

Find other way to make it work.

Did you give the partitions a label name? If yes, what are the names?
If no, add a label and check if this solves the problem

I give the 2 hdd a label name but still no good.

I make it work the other way:
Remove the 1st hdd and only connect the 2nd hdd. Now I could set the permission for all the users. After that I could connect both of them at the same time and all working well.

Looks like the web gui have some bug cause it can not set the 2nd hdd permission.

Any body using 2 hdd on RT-N66U? Does set permission work for you or just me have this problem?

I give the 2 hdd a label name but still no good.

I make it work the other way:
Remove the 1st hdd and only connect the 2nd hdd. Now I could set the permission for all the users. After that I could connect both of them at the same time and all working well.

Looks like the web gui have some bug cause it can not set the 2nd hdd permission.

Any body using 2 hdd on RT-N66U? Does set permission work for you or just me have this problem?

I have 1 USB HDD (NTFS/EXT3) and 1 USB stick (EXT3) connected to router and have no issues with permissions. (using FW 270.25b)

First thanks Merlin for the /www over write method. It's very helpful.
I found the problem. It's a web gui bug.
My 1st hdd has two partitions (sda1 and sda2). 2nd hdd has one partition (sdb1). If the 1st hdd has more than one partition, the wei gui doesn't handle it correctly when it get the folder permissions.
The web gui manage a device name array pool_devices. When the wei gui want the device name, it use diskOrder+poolOrder (the partition order) as pool_devices index to get the device name. This works only if the 1st hdd has one partition. If 1st hdd has more than one partition, it can't get the correct device name for the 2nd hdd.
Example:
Usually the pool_device is {"sda1","sdb1"} if you have two hdd and each of them has one partition. In my case it's {"sda1","sda2","sdb1"} because my 1st hdd has two partition. The diskOrder for the 1st hdd is 0, for the 2nd hdd is 1. So the diskOrder+poolOrder is 1 for the 2nd hdd 1st partition, and it will get the device name as pool_devices[1] which is "sda2". It's wrong name and it should be "sdb1". That cause the web couldn't get the correct permission for the 2nd hdd.
I modified two files to fix this problem and it works well on my router. Now I can get/set the 2nd hdd permission without any problem.
Here is the procedure to get the fix:
First use the Merlin's /www over write method to get access for the /www folder.
Then put the modified disk_functions.js into /www and AiDisk_folder_tree.js into /www/aidisk.
Call "service restart_httpd" to restart the httpd and done.
Hope this can help the people who has the same problem. And maybe Merlin can include this fix into the next build if it's approved.
Again thanks for the Merlin to give us a such a good firmware and for all the help.

Attachments

• AiDisk_folder_tree.js.txt
    13.7 KB · Views: 380
  • disk_functions.js.txt
    7.4 KB · Views: 680
Hi,

Thanks for the fix - I just merged it in the repo.

Hello Merlin,

I am using RT-AC68U, version 380.57. Looks like this bug is still there.

I have two HDD. The first HDD has two partitions; an ext3 and NTFS. The 2nd HDD also has 2 partitions, both ext3. In the GUI, for Samba access rights control, the 2nd HDD does not show the radio buttons. Sometime, I also cannot create folders on the 2nd HDD.

Hello Merlin,

I am using RT-AC68U, version 380.57. Looks like this bug is still there.

I have two HDD. The first HDD has two partitions; an ext3 and NTFS. The 2nd HDD also has 2 partitions, both ext3. In the GUI, for Samba access rights control, the 2nd HDD does not show the radio buttons. Sometime, I also cannot create folders on the 2nd HDD.

Your firmware is nearly two years old. Start by upgrading.

Your firmware is nearly two years old. Start by upgrading.
I just did, to 380.64_2, and the bug remains. See attached file.

Thanks for looking into this.

Attachments

• Router.JPG
    Router.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 447
Make sure the router has access to the content of that ftp folder (check permissions).

If in doubt, run a chmod -R 777 on the partition.

Make sure the router has access to the content of that ftp folder (check permissions).

If in doubt, run a chmod -R 777 on the partition.

Sorry, who is "router", what is the user id? If you are referring to the admin, the user ID I used to login to the router, than yes, I am able to SSH to the router using admin id.

I am about touch a new file in the ftp folder.

See attached.

By the way, the partition of the 2nd HDD was created on the router via SSH shell.

Attachments

• Router1.JPG
    Router1.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 359
Sorry, who is "router", what is the user id? If you are referring to the admin, the user ID I used to login to the router, than yes, I am able to SSH to the router using admin id.

I am about touch a new file in the ftp folder.

See attached.

By the way, the partition of the 2nd HDD was created on the router via SSH shell.

If you can touch a file then file permissions should be correct.

Sorry, I have no other idea. The issue seems to be rare, and I have never been able to reproduce it myself. Since Asus changed the file management code a couple of times over time (and recently changed it again), I gave up trying to understand it.

If you can touch a file then file permissions should be correct.

Sorry, I have no other idea. The issue seems to be rare, and I have never been able to reproduce it myself. Since Asus changed the file management code a couple of times over time (and recently changed it again), I gave up trying to understand it.
Ok. Thanks anyway.