What's new

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I upgraded to firmware 1.34NA this past weekend, and I had no problems.
I can't guarantee if it's bug free, but it seems fine for me at least.

For me 1.21 was good, 1.32 was awful. 1.33 has been fine on my box but I've not tried the 1.34 version. The DIR-655 is a fine box but for some reason D-Link went through a period of having a lot of problems that were firmware related and not being able to easily downgrade was a big problem for many users.

For me 1.21 was good, 1.32 was awful. 1.33 has been fine on my box but I've not tried the 1.34 version. The DIR-655 is a fine box but for some reason D-Link went through a period of having a lot of problems that were firmware related and not being able to easily downgrade was a big problem for many users.
This was due to a complete change in the firmware code base, which did screw them up pretty well. Now that they have gone through the transition, they could let users downgrade firmware. But they choose not to. I don't know why they would choose too, since mistakes happen in firmware changes and its best to let people fall back to something that works.

This was due to a complete change in the firmware code base, which did screw them up pretty well. Now that they have gone through the transition, they could let users downgrade firmware. But they choose not to. I don't know why they would choose too, since mistakes happen in firmware changes and its best to let people fall back to something that works.

They don't want you to downgrade as the original code would make these routers not pass. Firmware 1.11 was the best one to use. After than it had taken a nose dive. But you can downgrade if you use the Russia version of the firmware.

Can you explain what was so awful about 1.32? i have also just received a 655 HW ver. A4 and FW ver. is 1.32NA. Thats what it says on the box anyways.

Can you explain what was so awful about 1.32? i have also just received a 655 HW ver. A4 and FW ver. is 1.32NA. Thats what it says on the box anyways.

There was a DNS relay issue with 1.32 that "bricked" the 655 (more appropriately rendered it useless) and it affected a significant number of product owners. Other issues, like mine, the wireless would drop periodlically every 4 hours for 20 minutes and the router itself would reboot at best every 12 hours.

1.33 fixed most issues for everyone. 1.34 truely disables securesport if the end user disables it but I do not know if it introduces more issues.

pre 1.3X won;t be officially supported because of the HNAP fix in 1.33 and it is unlikely Dlink would permit users to downgrade below that firmware for security reasons.

1.11 was best but to go back look for a russian guy's post (www23 was his handle on Dlink forums). The russian 1.3X firmware allows downgrading but this will void your warranty. You go from 1.32NA to 1.3XRU (beta i believe) to 1.21RU then you should be able to downgrade to 1.11NA I believe.

Which version of the firmware did it come with?

I've just purchased the D-Link DIR-655.

You didn't mention which version of the firmware is currently installed on your DIR-655. I'd also be curious which hardware revision you got. (I bought mine about a year ago and got the A4 hardware).

Both values are in the upper right hand corner of the admin web page. Or at least they are on mine. BTW, I'm using v1.34NA and haven't noticed any problems. Then again, I don't do much fancy with it beyond enabling port forwarding for Bit Torrent. :eek:

My guess is most of the function in the firmware is not that well tested/used by the public at large. :rolleyes:

-irrational john

The DIR-655 that I have was given to me by a friend. When I got the box it had a very old firmware, maybe 1.08 so a little while after I got it up and running at my house I upgraded it to the latest stuff at the time(a year ago) 1.32. After that change the router would just hang up and need a reboot about once a week. The network would still function but the WAN/internet connection would be down. This was with only moderate home use with about 5 or 6 wireless clients at the maximum. When the DIR-655 was running I felt that it worked well and it gave nice wireless coverage and speeds. I dug the easy wall mounting too.

I ended up replacing the DIR-655 with a Linksys WRT320N which has been an excellent router in the same application. It's run since last December(about 7 months) so far without needing a reboot.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online