What's new

WiFi 6 GHZ only works when Legion 5 is away from Netgear RAXE500 router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sachb

I just recently purchased a Lenovo Legion 5 (Gen 14th Intel based) Gen 9 laptop 💻 which is a Chinese version.

This laptop has trouble detecting 6 GHZ network when my laptop is in close range with the Netgear RAXE500, I have all the latest updates including, drivers, bios, but the problem still persists.

My mom's Asus laptop has no issues detecting the 6 GHZ and so is my ROG 6 phone which has no issues connecting to the 6 GHZ

I believe it to be a problem with the bios restricting the usage of 6 GHZ since this band isn't officially allowed in China.

The shop won't accept returns, so I may have to sell this problematic Lenovo and get the one which is made for my region.

If any expert here would share their thoughts on this, I would be grateful.

Maybe you should turn down the router's Tx power a bit.
But this isn't an issue with other devices, just the Lenovo. Why? Is it because it's a Chinese version? Are Tx Powers in China much lower?

This laptop has trouble detecting 6 GHZ network when my laptop is in close range with the Netgear RAXE500
So are you saying that the laptop can connect when it is moved further away from the RAXE500? It is only at close range that you have a problem?

So are you saying that the laptop can connect when it is moved further away from the RAXE500? It is only at close range that you have a problem?
Yes, I can see and connect it when I'm in my room, away from the router.

But this isn't an issue with other devices, just the Lenovo. Why? Is it because it's a Chinese version? Are Tx Powers in China much lower?
I'm guessing "cheap receiver circuitry overloads when presented with too much signal". That's only a guess, but such behaviors have been reported often before.

I have no idea whether China restricts maximum Tx power more than other places. I do know that running your AP at the max allowed in the US (up to 30 dBm I believe) is seldom a good idea, even if you don't run into receiver saturation. The clients are restricted to far less Tx power (12-15 dBm or so is typical) and you need reasonable balance between AP and client power. It does no good for the clients to hear the AP if the AP can't hear the clients. They don't need to be exactly equal, because the AP probably has a better (more sensitive) antenna than most clients, but AP Tx power somewhere closer to 20 dBm is usually a better idea.

Of just use 5GHz band and forget about the issue. This laptop doesn't need maximum possible Wi-Fi speed all the time anyway.

I'd be curious as to what the WiFi card in the laptop is...

OP didn't mention it in the thread, unless I missed that tidbit of info...
Ok, I've tested with a new laptop, G16 Strix, which has the AX211 card, the same issue persists on this laptop too. I can see and connect to the 6 GHZ band from the bedroom, but when I scan in the hall where my router is placed, 6 GHZ vanishes. I'm not sure what is causing this.

My mom's older laptop can see and connect to 6GHZ without any issues and it has the AX210 card, but I have done the swapping on my Legion 5, and had the same issues, so even swapping didn't work.

I'm guessing "cheap receiver circuitry overloads when presented with too much signal". That's only a guess, but such behaviors have been reported often before.

I have no idea whether China restricts maximum Tx power more than other places. I do know that running your AP at the max allowed in the US (up to 30 dBm I believe) is seldom a good idea, even if you don't run into receiver saturation. The clients are restricted to far less Tx power (12-15 dBm or so is typical) and you need reasonable balance between AP and client power. It does no good for the clients to hear the AP if the AP can't hear the clients. They don't need to be exactly equal, because the AP probably has a better (more sensitive) antenna than most clients, but AP Tx power somewhere closer to 20 dBm is usually a better idea.
I think New Gen Intels have something different going on, cause both my Legion 5 and ROG G16 Strix had issues with the 6 GHZ, but not my Mom's laptop which is running on a 7th Gen intel-based CPU.

The Legion 5 which I bought has a 14th Gen Intel 14650HX processor
The ROG G16 Strix which I purchased has 13th Generation Intel 13650HX processor

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!