What's new

[384.12_Alpha - builds] Testing all variants.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
could be an issue if your router was using your ISP as upstream resolver, could have been something your isp was blocking. you could modify this if you change the WAN DNS from automatic to whatever you want to use, and also your IPV6 DNS to what ever you want, it is true you will still be covered by your cloudflare DoT servers as well, all this does is allow your router; itself, to resolv from a different DNS server than your ISP. you would test this by first inputting your own servers into those sections and then switching the resolv local cache back to upstream by changing it to NO.

Wan dns set to manual, IPv4 & IPv6. This hasn’t changed.
DoT, no change.
Only changed from upstream to local.
More testing in progress.......

[Edit] setting ‘use local cache’ to yes seems to make ntp happy once more.
I can use a domain, or IPv4 address in both primary &/or secondary fields & all is good.
An ipv6 address wont work though.

Last edited:
A bit off topic ... when manually compiling , 2 FW files are created one without "cferom" which is a bit smaller and the second one with 'cferom' . What is the difference ?

Last edited:
A bit off topic ... when manually compiling , 2 FW files are created one without "cferom" which is a bit smaller and the second one with 'cferom' . What is the difference ?
from my understanding, the cferom should be used when flashing to newer style routers like the RT-AX88U. basically, if the router you use- uses the cferom for their stock firmware, then you should be using that version for your merlin firmware as well.
Note- your RT-86U uses that style rom.

384-12 alpha2 working well on my rt 5300 i did a factory reset before loading the new FW old FW was avery old versiuon well before 382 , should i do another factory reset or leave it as all is working

One thing I noticed is that services-stop is not running when firmware upgrade.

Upgrades are tricky, because they are done on top of a live filesystem (except on HND models with dual firmware images). It's why some routers can randomly crash during reboot after a firmware flash. Asus tries to avoid it by keeping a small rootfs in /tmp during reboot, but it's possible that rootfs is missing some components.

Being up on my RT-AC86U since 4 days on 12 Alpha 2 it looks like the responsiveness of the UI is getting slower and slower. Main screen building up in blocks, tried various browsers incl. cache cleared, no CPU load, no traffic - bet after reboot everything is back to normal, was not the case with 11-2.
Also looks like I've lost 5Ghz band channel 140 - nothing in the logs or visible trhough the interface, just no connectivity possible.

Last edited:
Being up on my RT-AC86U since 4 days on 12 Alpha 2 it looks like the responsiveness of the UI is getting slower and slower. Main screen building up in blocks, tried various browsers incl. cache cleared, no CPU load, no traffic - bet after reboot everything is back to normal, was not the case with 11-2.

Are you using http or https?
If https - are you using self-signed ssl certificates?

went back to 11.2 for now as I was not able to figure any root cause but need a stable production system - may try again at a laterpoint in time

went back to 11.2 for now as I was not able to figure any root cause but need a stable production system - may try again at a laterpoint in time

As I've mentioned a few other times, its fascinating too see these issues when my three AC86Us don't. I've been on alpha2 since Sunday with no issues. I guess I'm lucky or there's something unique about your config compared to mine. Would be nice if the causes could be more readily identified.

One thing that might be useful is if there were a way to compare configurations more easily. It might cute if someone could write a program to parse ASUS router config files and generate a table of readable settings. The program might also be able to accept comments from the user explaining whether there was an observable performance issue (or not). Then maybe the program could compile all the results into a database or could take configs from two users (or multiple users) and create a comparison chart. There's always the chance that the cause of the issue wouldn't be found in the config file (e.g. people running various addons), but could be a valuable tool.

As I've mentioned a few other times, its fascinating too see these issues when my three AC86Us don't. I've been on alpha2 since Sunday with no issues. I guess I'm lucky or there's something unique about your config compared to mine. Would be nice if the causes could be more readily identified.

One thing that might be useful is if there were a way to compare configurations more easily. It might cute if someone could write a program to parse ASUS router config files and generate a table of readable settings. The program might also be able to accept comments from the user explaining whether there was an observable performance issue (or not). Then maybe the program could compile all the results into a database or could take configs from two users (or multiple users) and create a comparison chart. There's always the chance that the cause of the issue wouldn't be found in the config file (e.g. people running various addons), but could be a valuable tool.

Your proposed idea sounds great, especially to compare not-so-common settings. In my config I am using the device as a simple WLAN router, no additional tools installed, no QOS or AIP, not even guest network enabled - nada. Just plain routing with WLAN schedule enabled. Region may play a role due to channels - but other than that I'd guess there is no simpler and plain config than mine ...

from my understanding, the cferom should be used when flashing to newer style routers like the RT-AX88U. basically, if the router you use- uses the cferom for their stock firmware, then you should be using that version for your merlin firmware as well.
Note- your RT-86U uses that style rom.

Well, both types work well on RT-AC86U and the model is in the name of the both files.

Been on 384.12-Alpha2 since this morning. Runs faster with less hickups than 11-2 which I had to reboot every 3 days to get it going.
Tomorrow I will try outside access from my phone which has not worked at all with 11-2 except when connected to same WiFi.

Your proposed idea sounds great, especially to compare not-so-common settings. In my config I am using the device as a simple WLAN router, no additional tools installed, no QOS or AIP, not even guest network enabled - nada. Just plain routing with WLAN schedule enabled. Region may play a role due to channels - but other than that I'd guess there is no simpler and plain config than mine ...

I did remember earlier that one thing you might want to consider doing is deleting all the cookies and stored info for your router website on your web browser.

I did remember earlier that one thing you might want to consider doing is deleting all the cookies and stored info for your router website on your web browser.

Yes - I did try that cleaning complete history on Chrome and Firefox - no success. That was the point in time I decided to go back to 11.2 - which seems to run flawless up until now. As said I might try Alpha 12 over the weekend once more ...

Not even a phone?

sorry - my bad and misunderstanding - I thought you meant a 2nd router :) I tested from 2 -3 other PCs tablet and mobile phone - Androind and IOS - all the same. In the meantime I upgraded to 12-beta1 and for now all is crisp and responsive - will post back in case I encounter any further findings!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!