What's new

[ 386.4 alpha Build(s) ] Testing available build(s)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably better to block ads locally anyways. At least there is some level of control on what gets blocked. I imagine they will keep a free dns service going that doesn't support ad blocking.

Does that mean I should remove AdGuard from available presets?

I use AdGuard DNS as a custom filter for those on my network that want it. It works quite well and have thought about suggesting you make that one of the drop down filters. I suggest a wait and see what they do and when.

Morris

Updated RT-AX88U_386.4_alpha3-g092f25da96 from 386.4_alpha2-g952c6bdecc. Now shows 'Internet status: Disconnected.' But, the internet is definitely connected. Played around with the admin/system DNS_Query/Ping per other posts. No joy. Just going to run this way since I see no serious problems in the logs.

Updated 2x AX86Us from alpha2 to RT-AX86U_386.4_alpha3 - 1 main and one aimesh with ethernet backhaul.
It then wouldnt allow me to update the firmware of the aimesh node, was giving error message that the node was offline.

Had to revert the main router back to RT-AX86U_386.3_2 to then flash the mesh node back to RT-AX86U_386.3_2 as well.

The brief period i was using Alpha3 the wifi seemed a bit iffy, things were not connecting or losing connection, and back on RT-AX86U_386.3_2 everything is once again rock solid.

Installed the latest build 386.4_alpha3-g092f25da96 on my AX86U and everything went smooth.

One minor thing I noticed is that DNS-probing to dns.msftncsi.com suddenly started again every 15 seconds even though I have "DNS Query" disabled under Administration->System->Network Monitoring. I will run the old script to disable it, but maybe something needs to be fixed behind the curtains?!

UPDATE: Noticed the WAN-led turned red when disabling it, so guess I'll have to let the router keep pinging...

Code:
nvram set dns\_probe=0
nvram set dns\_probe_content=
nvram commit
So, I blacklisted that domain in Diversion. All good, moving right along!;)

Updated RT-AC86U from old alpha3 to newer alpha3-g092f25da96, all seems well. :)

Adguard isn't working under DOT. I went back to 386.3_2 and it still isn't working. It must be out.

Check this issue on the AdGuard Home GitHub repo, I was able to restore the connectivity with my AdGuard VPS with the fix mentioned:

Flashed my AC86U from the previous alpha 3 to the current alpha 3.

Nothing to report.
However, today my MacBook Pro, which was connected to my router via a cable, lost all internet activity, several times during the day, while all WiFi devices still had internet.

Might be an issue on the Mac though; is there anything specific in the router's log that I should look for to determine whether the Mac or the router is causing this?

Here are the entries for Nord VPN on/off in the router. It works as advertised (slow but steady!) when used systemwide with the router, about 1/5 the speed when VPN is used in the local PC...which is a router cpu limit, I believe. The VPN is testing with no leaks or other glitches, but thought these worth a look:

Dec 13 12:31:08 ovpn-client1[3082]: --cipher is not set. Previous OpenVPN version defaulted to BF-CBC as fallback when cipher negotiation failed in this case. If you need this fallback please add '--data-ciphers-fallback BF-CBC' to your configuration and/or add BF-CBC to --data-ciphers.
Dec 13 12:31:08 ovpn-client1[3083]: NOTE: the current --script-security setting may allow this configuration to call user-defined scripts
Dec 13 12:31:09 ovpn-client1[3083]: WARNING: 'link-mtu' is used inconsistently, local='link-mtu 1618', remote='link-mtu 1634'
Dec 13 12:31:09 ovpn-client1[3083]: WARNING: 'keysize' is used inconsistently, local='keysize 128', remote='keysize 256'
Dec 13 12:31:10 ovpn-client1[3083]: WARNING: You have specified redirect-gateway and redirect-private at the same time (or the same option multiple times). This is not well supported and may lead to unexpected results
Dec 13 12:31:12 ovpn-client1[3083]: WARNING: this configuration may cache passwords in memory -- use the auth-nocache option to prevent this
Dec 13 12:32:18 ovpn-client1[3083]: event_wait : Interrupted system call (code=4)

Is there any serious glitch or anything I should change? Otherwise, Alpha 3 remains very stable!!

EDIT:
though I don't use IPv6 due to the NORD VPN's inability to deal with it yet, I tried turning it back on since others are reporting problems. My modem on Comcast shows:

Time Not Established​
Notice (6)​
Honoring MDD; IP provisioning mode = IPv6​

http://test-ipv6.comcast.net/ shows failure due to:
'No IPv6 address detected'

https://ipv6-test.com/ shows no IPv6 address, so it looks as if I'm in the same crowd where 6 just isn't working in this Alpha?
'Not supported'
Just for info, here is the IPv6 settings page that used to work:

Basic Config
Connection typeNative
DHCP-PDEnable
Release prefix on exitEnable

IPv6 LAN Setting
LAN IPv6 Address
LAN Prefix Length
LAN IPv6 Prefix
Auto Configuration SettingStateless

IPv6 DNS Setting
Connect to DNS Server automaticallyDisable
IPv6 DNS Server 12001:4860:4860::8888
IPv6 DNS Server 22001:4860:4860::8844
IPv6 DNS Server 32001:558:feed::1

Auto Configuration Setting
Enable Router AdvertisementEnable

Last edited:
Check this issue on the AdGuard Home GitHub repo, I was able to restore the connectivity with my AdGuard VPS with the fix mentioned:

That worked. Much appreciated!

Here are the entries for Nord VPN on/off in the router. It works as advertised (slow but steady!) when used systemwide with the router, about 1/5 the speed when VPN is used in the local PC...which is a router cpu limit, I believe. The VPN is testing with no leaks or other glitches, but thought these worth a look:

Dec 13 12:31:08 ovpn-client1[3082]: --cipher is not set. Previous OpenVPN version defaulted to BF-CBC as fallback when cipher negotiation failed in this case. If you need this fallback please add '--data-ciphers-fallback BF-CBC' to your configuration and/or add BF-CBC to --data-ciphers.
Dec 13 12:31:08 ovpn-client1[3083]: NOTE: the current --script-security setting may allow this configuration to call user-defined scripts
Dec 13 12:31:09 ovpn-client1[3083]: WARNING: 'link-mtu' is used inconsistently, local='link-mtu 1618', remote='link-mtu 1634'
Dec 13 12:31:09 ovpn-client1[3083]: WARNING: 'keysize' is used inconsistently, local='keysize 128', remote='keysize 256'
Dec 13 12:31:10 ovpn-client1[3083]: WARNING: You have specified redirect-gateway and redirect-private at the same time (or the same option multiple times). This is not well supported and may lead to unexpected results
Dec 13 12:31:12 ovpn-client1[3083]: WARNING: this configuration may cache passwords in memory -- use the auth-nocache option to prevent this
Dec 13 12:32:18 ovpn-client1[3083]: event_wait : Interrupted system call (code=4)

Is there any serious glitch or anything I should change? Otherwise, Alpha 3 remains very stable!!

EDIT:
though I don't use IPv6 due to the NORD VPN's inability to deal with it yet, I tried turning it back on since others are reporting problems. My modem on Comcast shows:

Time Not Established​
Notice (6)​

Time Not Established​
Notice (6)​

https://ipv6-test.com/ shows no IPv6 address, so it looks as if I'm in the same crowd where 6 just isn't working in this Alpha?

Basic Config
Connection typeNative
DHCP-PDEnable

IPv6 LAN Setting
LAN IPv6 Address
LAN Prefix Length
LAN IPv6 Prefix

IPv6 DNS Setting

Do you use the Guest Network feature with Access Intranet set to disabled? I noticed, on my router at least, that starting with alpha2, IPV6 does not work in this configuration. IPV6 works fine if guest network is turned off or if Access Intranet is set to enabled for the guest network. I was able to work around this issue by updating the IP6Table rules.

Do you use the Guest Network feature with Access Intranet set to disabled? I noticed, on my router at least, that starting with alpha2, IPV6 does not work in this configuration. IPV6 works fine if guest network is turned off or if Access Intranet is set to enabled for the guest network. I was able to work around this issue by updating the IP6Table rules.
Ah! I'll try that shortly! I keep Guest networks on by default (no intranet access as a policy), so that may well be it. Any additional hints on accessing the IPv6 table rules?

Ah! I'll try that shortly! I keep Guest networks on by default (no intranet access as a policy), so that may well be it. Any additional hints on accessing the IPv6 table rules?
I provided a link below to the before and after details from a previous post. It also lists the command for listing the IPV6 rules. To work around the issue, I turned off the guest network and waited for IPV6 to start working. Reboot may be required or at least toggle your internet connection off and on to kick off DHCP. I then saved the IPV6tables to the /jffs directory using the following command:
ip6tables-save > /jffs/ipv6-rules

I turned my guest network back on and restored the rules I saved previously using the following command
ip6tables-restore /jffs/ipv6-rules

and all was good. The only problem with this manual process, is that it doesn't survive a reboot so I created a firewall-start file in the /jffs/scripts directory with the lines below:

#!/bin/sh
CONFIG=$1

Last step was to make the firewall-start file executable
chmod +x /jffs/scripts/firewall-start

Hope this works for you as well!

[ 386.4 alpha Build(s) ] Testing available build(s) | Page 28 | SmallNetBuilder Forums (snbforums.com)

Updated to the latest Alpha 3 on an RT-AX88U and an RT-AC68U. No problems on either other than they are both sending DNS lookups for dns.msftncsi.com every 15 seconds or so (as others have seen). Both have DNS lookup and ping unchecked in Administration>System>Network Monitoring

I provided a link below to the before and after details from a previous post. It also lists the command for listing the IPV6 rules. To work around the issue, I turned off the guest network and waited for IPV6 to start working. Reboot may be required or at least toggle your internet connection off and on to kick off DHCP. I then saved the IPV6tables to the /jffs directory using the following command:
ip6tables-save > /jffs/ipv6-rules

I turned my guest network back on and restored the rules I saved previously using the following command

and all was good. The only problem with this manual process, is that it doesn't survive a reboot so I created a firewall-start file in the /jffs/scripts directory with the lines below:

#!/bin/sh
CONFIG=$1

Last step was to make the firewall-start file executable
chmod +x /jffs/scripts/firewall-start

Hope this works for you as well!

[ 386.4 alpha Build(s) ] Testing available build(s) | Page 28 | SmallNetBuilder Forums (snbforums.com)
Perfect! Thanks for following up...

EDIT:

Time Not Established​
Notice (6)​

'No IPv6 address detected'

'Not supported'

Basic Config
Connection typeNative
DHCP-PDEnable

IPv6 LAN Setting
LAN IPv6 Address
LAN Prefix Length
LAN IPv6 Prefix

IPv6 DNS Setting

I got a 10/10 with ipv6 and comcast on the latest alpha, but i do not have guest network set to not allow intranet.

Self compile of RT-AX86U_386.4_alpha3-gc05ac30203 [commits up to yesterday] using this marvellous amcfwm utility is working flawlessly so far [with all add-ons per my signature].

Great job @RMerlin - looking forward to Beta and then final release.

NB - Self compile is complete but for TrendMicro stuff [which I don't use anyway - preferring Skynet ].

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!