What's new

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Solid core (wire?) cable requires special jacks made for it.

You're not going to notice any difference from cable to cable as long as you are using Certified CAT6 (or 5e) cable.

To really get the full bandwidth from CAT6, you need to use all CAT6 components, terminate connections properly and follow proper cable handling and routing methods.

Keep All Products CAT6

I recently installed a structured box with twelve lines to different locations in an apartment running the cable behind the wall. Buy all jacks CAT6 and use color-coding for standard T568B.

You can use a wall box or a metal plate for the covers. It all depends on where the cable is going to be installed and the number of jacks in the face plate. Make a diagram of where the cable will exit and where they will be connected. Check it twice. Examine the walls for obstructions prior to "fishing" the cable. Aviod bends in cable. Locate electrical boxes and how the electrical wire arrives at the box. Avoid running the CAT6 cable near electrical wires. If possible test each cable before putting everything back.

Make sure that both ends of cable follow same color-coding for Pin 1-Pin 8. You will also need a 110 punch down tool and a tool for making the jacks.

There are many web sites that have many "how to.." diagrams on CAT6 installations.

Last recommendation is to purchase the TrendNet cable tester TC-NT2. It will help you locate and fix incorrectly wired cables. A very easy tool to use and will save you hours of looking for a bad connection. You can do it!

Enjoy!

Hi,

1) The best choice for in wall cabling is solid core. Is all CAT6 solid core going to be the same, or are some brands better than others?

Like everything in life, there's OK quality cable and better quality cable. As a general rule, Belden makes very high quality cable (they have a division in Australia). Most of the cabling sold through etailers is China made and comes in varying qualities. Most should be OK, but not all. Just because it has a certification stamp doesn't mean it meets standards. Buy from a trusted vendor who sells quality products.

Yes, in wall, long runs should always be solid core. Stranded is for patch cables.

2) I see wall jacks rated for CAT6 and CAT5e. How do they differ? What happens if I use CAT5e jacks on CAT6 cabling? (Google renders conflicting reports)

Simply, Cat5e jacks are rated and designed for Cat5/5e cabling. Cat6 designed for Cat6. Cat5/5e cabling is made up of 24Ga wires. Cat6 is 22-23Ga. You may find it difficult to terminate Cat6 wires into Cat5e wall jacks.

Also, if you use Cat5e wall jacks you lose the majority of the benefit gained by running Cat6 cables. My opinion is to run Cat6 and terminate it correctly. Which leads to my next comment. Be very careful terminating Cat6 wall jacks. Follow instructions carefully because improper (sloppy) termination will negate the advantage of running Cat6.

3) There are so many different wall sockets available. I've found some for as little as $4 (all included), while most are $3 for the panel and $6 per jack, and another $2 for the wall box (NZD). Also there are different termination methods - some seem to require a tool. Some advice on choosing the best wall jack system would be nice.

Here is where I will be buying most of my stuff from: http://www.cablesdirect.co.nz/catalog/entry?entry=92&page_number=1

Again buy a quality brand. I've seen junk wall jacks that fall apart when you punch down the wires. I use and recommend 110 punch termination for wall jacks. Get a good impact punch tool such as this. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GABMAG/?tag=snbforums-20

The cable testers you discussed will test continuity only. If you want to test cabling integrity, then you'll need a cable verifier which can cost US$400+. Most installers use a continuity tester and hope for the best. :D See if you can find this little gem on your side of the pond. Its very hand and not only tests continuity but will prove to be helpful locating various types of cables. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001FSCVI/?tag=snbforums-20

Last edited:
cat5e & fiber

Cat5e is good for a residential home network ! most people usually buy a cheap crappy router and whine that it costs 50 bucks. so if your putting in cat6 your going to buy a $2500 switch right?

10 Base T is what I got at home works ok for me.

Cat5e is good for a residential home network ! most people usually buy a cheap crappy router and whine that it costs 50 bucks. so if your putting in cat6 your going to buy a $2500 switch right?

10 Base T is what I got at home works ok for me.

You can buy a decent Cat6 gigabit switch for $150.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!