What's new

5GHz AC Wifi Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

N

novaprospekt216

Hello everybody! I am new to this forum and i hope i can contribute in some way! :D

I have a total asus wifi combo: RT-AC68U + PCE-AC68. Let me explain the issue:

I have a lot of devices at home, but basically it is configured for everything to be in 2.4Ghz and two gaming pc on 5GHz. The 2.4Ghz band is heavily crowded but still works when i use channel 13.

On the 5Ghz band, there are no other networks and my pc gets 867+- mbps, so everything goes lightning fast. The problem arises when the two gaming pc (both with pce-ac68, same antenna and config conditions. both the same os: ubuntu 16.04.) start doing counter strike or other gaming traffic. If i use listen or dedicated srcds server on one, the other gets an insane unstable latency (from 16 up to 2000), on the 2.4Ghz band this does not happens (17 to 50 max). Also happens online while in the windows partition if both play Black ops 3 and one is the host. So

-ping from pc to internet on any of them is fine (20ms)
-ping from pc to pc or to another device is really high and unstable. For example adding note 4 in battery performance mode adds massive jittering (even disconnects from wifi).
-ping from any device to router is fine (0.5-2ms)
-ping from router to pc unstable as the second.

If i recall correctly (not at home now) these are the settings i have now on 5Ghz band:

- Wireless mode: N/AC Mixed
- 80Mhz (Tested 20, 40,20/40/80 and same latency issues)
- Channel AUTO (But i tested sticking to 36 and happens too)
-WPA2 AES
-Network Key Rotation Interval: 1800 (3600 happens too)
-DTIM: 1
-Beacon Interval: 157
-no Rts/fragmentation
- Everything else disabled or default

Using Latest Asuswrt-merlin firmware.

I don't know if i missed something here but thanks for any help i can get :D Seen a lot of people with these problem at my work with AC68U too.

You shouldn't be bothered by high ping times alone and you shouldn't rely on them for latency measurements in these scenarios.

Search the forums here; other people have observed similar effects. But the reason is that ASUS devices will treat ping requests with a very low priority.

Also consider that a ping is a new request which needs to go through all the decision making regarding blocking, routing etc, while the followup data packets of established connections / streams are treated in an optimised manner, even with hardware acceleration where possible.

Watch your CPU load during your test. If it's at 100 % then you can bet that your device is giving the established connections priority. Even if not, the somewhat unfair balancing may be due to queues filled by hardware acceleration and new requests being treated a bit unfair.

I personally feel that the balancing in the ASUS devices is not optimal but it's useful in many cases.

For quour particular case, your fame server should provide you with accurate latencies which are more relevant for your scenario.