What's new

Warzone 2.0 Unstable latency HELP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

P1cXel8

Occasional Visitor
Warzone 2.0 Unstable latency HELP

Hi all - I was hoping for some assistance.
I have a new Asus RT-AX86S and wish to set it up for gaming. I have a PS4 Pro connected to ethernet and have a 900 up/down Vodafone FTTP connection.
The issue I'm having is that my latency is most often really high - up to 90ms sometimes in-game and it takes an age to jooin games too. My latency has been as low as 19ms and as
high as 110ms but averages around 60ms. Can I set the router to minimise or stabilise this issue - Many thanks in advance ;)

Welcome to the forums @P1cXel8.

What firmware are you running on your RT-AX86s? Is this a new router for you? Have you enabled options/features past defaults? Have you been toggling options on/off? When was the last time you fully reset the router and minimally and manually configured it to connect to your ISP and secure the router?

Are you able to join different (game) servers?

Is this the only game that has lag for you?

Does adjusting settings on the ps4 pro help?

What are your latency values to other servers such as speed test servers? If you can, test nearby speed test servers and far away servers. This will help determine if the issue is with your base ISP connection and also see if your ISP's peering may be part of the issue.

Welcome to the forums @P1cXel8.

What firmware are you running on your RT-AX86s? Is this a new router for you? Have you enabled options/features past defaults? Have you been toggling options on/off? When was the last time you fully reset the router and minimally and manually configured it to connect to your ISP and secure the router?

Are you able to join different (game) servers?

Is this the only game that has lag for you?

Does adjusting settings on the ps4 pro help?
What are your latency values to other servers such as speed test servers? If you can, test nearby speed test servers and far away servers. This will help determine if the issue is with your base ISP connection and also see if your ISP's peering may be part of the issue.
Hi and thanks for your reply ;)
For full disclosure I can follow instructions however my knowledge base with this stuff is limited.

RT-AX86S Current Version : 3.0.0.4.388_24231-gbc11d13 and it is a new router...only a few months old, in router mode and replacing the Vodafone UltraHub.
The last reset was around a week ago and I have altered various settings to set up port forwarding/game mode - Not sure if I've done it correctly as it shows on the pc but not on the app? Qos was enabled but now off as it made no difference.
I only play Warzone so unable to compare to other games servers so presently lag is with this.
PS4 settings I have a static ip set and via the router I have set it to google servers as they appear to be fastest.

When I do speedtests via my phone or my pc my average latency is around 17-20ms and have minimal bufferbloat receiving an A grade on waveformdotcom. My overall speeds up and down are always fine BUT I have noticed that my upload speed on the PS4 is a lot lower recently - used to average around 60ms now rarely above 10ms. When I test near and far servers on e.g Fastdotcom or speedtestdotcom, the latency varies when the distance is changed - i.e. farther away= higher latency. For reference I was previously with VM on FTTC and latency was always around 20-22ms regardless of time of day or number of connections etc

Hope that helps somewhat and I've attached a few settings pics for you... Capture.JPGCapture2.JPGCapture3.JPGCapture4.JPG ;)

Last edited:
Ah, vodafone. My speciality, somewhat regrettably.
Run a traceroute to bbc.com and paste the results here.
Have you tested again with vodafone's router?

Attachments

• Capture5.JPG
    Capture5.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 23
I thought the moniker was familiar 😉
So going back to dynamic IP made no difference?
EDIT:You're also still on the Birmingham (BSHN07-BNG-C1) gateway?
Affirmative - No change and yes still in Birmingham!!! My latency e.g. one game last night was 65ms for around 8 minutes waiting in lobby to join a game then in-game was around 80-90ms - not the worst it's been but similar.

The unfortunate thing is you are still at the mercy of vodafone's useless "load balancing" (term used loosely), and there's nothing you can change on the router to affect that.

The unfortunate thing is you are still at the mercy of vodafone's useless "load balancing" (term used loosely), and there's nothing you can change on the router to affect that.
OK - So brickwall then...? And assuming I have things set up correctly (do i ?), does that also mean there's no point using port forwarding etc for the game?

Try one more full reset. (via the WPS Button method appropriate to your router).

Don't use the port forwarding (at all).

Don't toggle settings on/off. This is not the same as leaving them at their default.

This will give you the maximum performance your ISP allows.

Changing almost anything else is making it worse.

Try one more full reset. (via the WPS Button method appropriate to your router).

Don't use the port forwarding (at all).

Don't toggle settings on/off. This is not the same as leaving them at their default.

This will give you the maximum performance your ISP allows.

Changing almost anything else is making it worse.
Not really going to make much difference here. In the uk vodafone's load balancing can connect some southern users to Northern gateway's, and vice versa. You'll find some clients in London connect to the Edinburgh gateway. So data has to travel that distance before it even meets the internet spine. Vodafone's network is a patchwork of multiple old providers, including some ancient remnants of the old Cable & Wireless network. Far from ideal and routing is often unpredictable.
There's nothing that vodafone's customer support can do about it - not even their level 3 techs.
Add to that their new implementation of dual stack iPv6 along with CG-NAT (for new customers only) and things get really messy.

I don't know what difference it will make, but it will put the router back to a good/known state.

Toggling settings on/off is a good way to get random issues on your network/router.

I don't know what difference it will make, but it will put the router back to a good/known state.

Toggling settings on/off is a good way to get random issues on your network/router.
I'll give it a go anyway... worth a shout because i'm sick of getting hammered in cod now...even had rubber banding alll over the shop earlier on :(

I'll give it a go anyway... worth a shout because i'm sick of getting hammered in cod now...even had rubber banding alll over the shop earlier on :(
If a reset doesnt work....try loading the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware and use the FlexQOS script & prioritize gaming. It might help with latency!

If a reset doesnt work....try loading the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware and use the FlexQOS script & prioritize gaming. It might help with latency!
Asuswrt-Merlin...one of the things I've been wanting to try out but maybe beyond my paygrade lol?

The first time, it may seem like that.

But really, it's easy.

Just flash RMerlin firmware, perform a full reset, then minimally and manually configure the router to secure it and connect to your ISP.

None of this is going to fix vodafone's poor service. By all means try everything, but expect nothing. Just saying.

Edit: Then again, maybe all the reboots will force a gateway change.

No, it won't fix ISP issues. But at least it won't compound them.

All these are good troubleshooting techniques and hopefully something fixes it for you. I do have a question for you though.

Did your issue just start recently? I'm a fellow Warzone player. I typically have 20-30ms ping during games. Occasionally it'll be in the 40s. All this week my ping has been higher than usual and it's been occasionally spiking. The game has been stuttering too. Everything else in my house has been running fine and both my sons game and haven't complained about any lag on their games (and trust me, I hear about it immediately when it does lag, whether I'm sleep, in the bathroom, at work, or whatever lol).

The new update has caused a lot of issues and the servers have been worse too. The COD Warzone reddit is full of people complaining and less people have been playing which does lead to it to taking longer for lobbies to fill. It could just be the game since everything else seems to be working well for you. Hopefully they get the game and servers fixed soon.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!