What's new

5ghz device connect to HTPC with other devices on 2.4 ghz?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rcloud

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

I have an HTPC connected to my router via a LAN cable, and several wifi-connected devices including another PC on a different floor of the house with a PCIe 2.4 GHz 802.11n wifi card.

The Netgear WNDR3700 router only broadcasts with the 2.4 b/g/n signal, as most of my devices are older and have g cards, though maybe the new phones have n wifi devices? I turn off the 5 ghz radio because I don't use it.

Recently, however, I upgraded my internet service and i get 100 MBits download now, which I can reach and exceed on my LAN-attached HPTC. Of course my wifi devices don't get anywhere close, but I can't change some of these older devices except replace them with new ones.

The other PC with the 802.11n card, however, is the only other devices that I care to have faster speeds. It tops out at about 30 MBits downloading, which is the same as what I got before the ISP upgrade (TP-Link N150 with 8dB antenna).

I'm thinking about turning on the 5ghz radio on my router, and getting a wifi card for the PC that can connect to the 5ghz network.

Here's my question (and concern): I can access files on my HTPC through the other PC just by logging in through Windows 7, keeping same workgroup, I haven't bothered with homegroups (should I?).

If I connect tot he 5 ghz network, will I still be able to similarly access files on my HTPC? Also, will it allow me to see other 2.4ghz devices on network, or it is impossible for devices on two frequencies from seeing one another? I don't want to lose access to my HTPC as that's part of the reason why I have one, store files.

Thanks!

The 2.4Ghz radio, the 5Ghz radio, and the 4 LAN ports all sit on the same bridge group. All of your devices should be able to see all of your other devices by default.

Thanks, htismage.

This is true even though the 2.4ghz and 5ghz radio broadcast different SSIDs? I guess this shouldn't matter?

Also, regarding speeds (PC is about 15 ft diagonally below on a different level from router), the PC has a 2.4 ghz 802.11n card. Meanwhile, other devices tend to be g wifi cards. From what I've read, this mixed setup seems to degrade the speeds for all of my devices, when they are transmitting/receiving at the same time, right? Actually, I even notice that my 2.4 ghz wireless keyboard/mouse lag when a large file is being transferred over wifi. So, if I get a 5ghz n-card for the PC, and only connect to the 5 ghz network, I should be able to avoid this reduction in throughput, right?

Thanks!

Your network works as fast as the slowest device. So if you have wireless G devices 54Mbps is what you will have for speed. And yes, 2.4 and 5Ghz will have their own SSID's. Depending on your router you may have 2 for each frequency, if you have guest networks setup. I would upgrade those wireless G devices if you can. As far as your keyboard is concerned, then moving to 5Ghz will probably help. Now that I think about it, I had issues with a wireless keyboard in the past, Im guessing that it could have been my 2.4Ghz band. Just keep in mind 5Ghz has less range than 2.4 and it doesn't have as good penetration power. I can say from personal experience going through a few walls wont be an issue.

This is true even though the 2.4ghz and 5ghz radio broadcast different SSIDs? I guess this shouldn't matter?

For the most part yes...

Where it can get odd is if one has a dual-band client and ping ponging across two different SSID's (in WiFI, seeing a new SSID means potentially a new network)...

For the most part yes...

Where it can get odd is if one has a dual-band client and ping ponging across two different SSID's (in WiFI, seeing a new SSID means potentially a new network)...
Generally in Windows you can choose a preferred SSID to connect to. However on a dual band client you will see both. I would indicate in the SSID the frequency it is. For example I have one network Donut 2.4 and the other is Donut 5Ghz. On my dual band clients I can see them both. Then I just set one as a preferred network. I would also advise using the same password across both too. Thirdly I would suggest teaching your Dual band clients both. I had an issue with my router a while back where it would stop broadcasting 2.4Ghz.

these 5ghz pci-e adapters all seem to have more than 1 antenna. i only have one antenna now, attached to a cable and a larger external antenna on my desk. anyone have experience hooking 2 or 3 antennas up to extension cables? does this work well? it's basically what i have set up now, but more. something like this: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...QyWCeVwgO6GZQCl1fI_A9QZrZ6rHHKxI5IaAkfU8P8HAQ

also, i'm looking at these charts and reviews....the speeds aren't very encouraging, unless i invest in some pretty top of the line equipment (including upgrading g devices). i guess i will eventually...actually, i wonder if most of my devices are able to connect to my 5ghz radio anyway, it seems my newer tablet can. i find that tablets and phones don't seem to list this information as readily, probably because most people who buy these devices don't care whether it's g or n or ac, as long as it works. i guess the only really old device i have is an older thinkpad t400 that my wife uses for light browsing....

anyway, since the wifi speeds aren't fantastic without a new high end router, etc....i'm also contemplating just trying to fish a cat5 cable through to the one room downstairs where i have my PC....it seems like a way better way to avail myself of the 100 MBits from my ISP....

powerline seems to be getting better, but i'm 2 breakers away from the router...and it seems more expensive with an indeterminate level of potential improvement over what i have now....

update: egads! i just realized that my tablet can connect to the 5 ghz radio and i ran a speed test and it gets 96 Mbps downstairs next to my PC. the hard connection on my HTPC actually still gets somewhere from 130 to 170 Mbps...but i guess at least this demonstrates that if i went with a wifi card that could connect to the 5ghz radio, i'd pretty much get my money's worth given my recent ISP upgrade..

these 5ghz pci-e adapters all seem to have more than 1 antenna. i only have one antenna now, attached to a cable and a larger external antenna on my desk. anyone have experience hooking 2 or 3 antennas up to extension cables? does this work well? it's basically what i have set up now, but more. something like this: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...QyWCeVwgO6GZQCl1fI_A9QZrZ6rHHKxI5IaAkfU8P8HAQ

also, i'm looking at these charts and reviews....the speeds aren't very encouraging, unless i invest in some pretty top of the line equipment (including upgrading g devices). i guess i will eventually...actually, i wonder if most of my devices are able to connect to my 5ghz radio anyway, it seems my newer tablet can. i find that tablets and phones don't seem to list this information as readily, probably because most people who buy these devices don't care whether it's g or n or ac, as long as it works. i guess the only really old device i have is an older thinkpad t400 that my wife uses for light browsing....

anyway, since the wifi speeds aren't fantastic without a new high end router, etc....i'm also contemplating just trying to fish a cat5 cable through to the one room downstairs where i have my PC....it seems like a way better way to avail myself of the 100 MBits from my ISP....

powerline seems to be getting better, but i'm 2 breakers away from the router...and it seems more expensive with an indeterminate level of potential improvement over what i have now....

update: egads! i just realized that my tablet can connect to the 5 ghz radio and i ran a speed test and it gets 96 Mbps downstairs next to my PC. the hard connection on my HTPC actually still gets somewhere from 130 to 170 Mbps...but i guess at least this demonstrates that if i went with a wifi card that could connect to the 5ghz radio, i'd pretty much get my money's worth given my recent ISP upgrade..

Keep in mind things like phones and tablets dont have the best range when it comes to WiFi. Speed comes from the quality of the signal and your distance away from it. You will loose speed to gain distance. In a real world case you will only get about 1/2 the speed that the WiFi equipment is rated for on a good day. Most newer Tablets and phones are 5Ghz capable, for a while the AC radio's needed to much power.

My suggestion is putting all old devices/slow devices on 2.5Ghz. Put you faster better newer devices on 5Ghz. Remember you will NEVER get rated speed on WiFi.

If your tablet can get that kind of speed, a PCI card with positionable dipole antennas would probably be even better.

If needed, see if your router offers the option to disable 20/40 MHz coexistence mode. This will allow the 2.4GHz n150 devices to actually connect at n150 speeds rather than only 72 Mbps. That should pretty much double your real world throughput.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!