What's new

60GHz band

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Though, assuming you do get your 4600Mbps from the antennas, how exactly is it going to work with "just" a 1000Mbps network port? 10Gbit ethernet or bust :)

Though, assuming you do get your 4600Mbps from the antennas, how exactly is it going to work with "just" a 1000Mbps network port? 10Gbit ethernet or bust :)
the 60 ghz radio connects via pcie

I meant upstream to anything else on the network. I find it weird that the OEMs can have an AC1900 rating - without actually having the technical capacity to push that elsewhere.
Those numbers reference the Layer 1 PHY rate, just as Ethernet does.

If you have 10GB Ethernet, there are really no consumer level devices that can achieve those rates.

Those numbers reference the Layer 1 PHY rate, just as Ethernet does.

If you have 10GB Ethernet, there are really no consumer level devices that can achieve those rates.
I understand that. What I mean is, how can a router manufacturer claim a >1000PHY (for example, 1900 or 4600) rate with only a 1000PHY rate network port?

At any rate, my original comment was meant as a joke - I'm aware there's no way yet to push 10GB yet at the consumer level, though your series a couple of years ago was illuminating and helpful to us when building out a SOHO network.

I understand that. What I mean is, how can a router manufacturer claim a >1000PHY (for example, 1900 or 4600) rate with only a 1000PHY rate network port?

Wireless to wireless does not require an Ethernet port.

At 60GHz, it's not about data rate, it's about range and coverage!
Even with electronically steered-beam antennas, the range is limited to near line of sight within a room.
That may be the marketing goal.

But look back at the big attempt at "Wireless USB".
Wikipedia:
Wireless USB was based on the (now defunct) WiMedia Alliance's ultra-wideband (UWB) common radio platform, which is capable of sending 480 Mbit/s at distances up to 3 metres (9.8 ft) and 110 Mbit/s at up to 10 metres (33 ft). It was designed to operate in the 3.1 to 10.6 GHz frequency range, although local regulatory policies may restrict the legal operating range in some countries.

Not 60GHz.

Why can we talk from Earth to satellites billions of miles away? Well, dB is a log scale, and increasing distance is the inverse square law. The first few cm are the worst, then a few meters, then a Km, and then it starts to get nice. Be glad about the first few mm and cm, as that protects you from tissue damage from low power signals.

Don't ponder how we could communicate by radio if we were nearing the speed of light (and radio waves. Your head may explode.)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!