What's new

802.11ac desktop adapter

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MasterBash

Regular Contributor
For some reasons, one of my antenna on the mPCIe combo card on the Asus Maximus VI Formula keeps breaking. I am looking for a PCI Express desktop adapter to deal with this problem. Sure, I can just buy some antennas and fix it, but I know that it will happen again.

I want good antennas and 802.11ac. I thought about buying the PCE-AC68, but it doesnt have bluetooth and it is quite expensive for not having bluetooth. I dont have a 802.11ac router yet, but I want to be more "futureproof" because I may actually have one in the near future. I will most likely end up wit hthe RT-AC68U.

Is there any other good 802.11ac alternative? I am not looking for a USB device. PCE-AC66 is not an option since I have a Z87 chipset.

Is there such a thing as a PCI-E 1x device that lets you plug in an mPCIe adapter? I think it wouldnt be good due to the lack of drivers but I dont know.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Did not know about that adapter. There are PCI-e / mini PCI-e adapters out there. But, as you said, you could run into driver problems.

The desktop adapter will also have external antennas. So how does that solve your problem?

Those are actually fine, because they come preinstalled (I am talking the wires that goes from the adapter to the bracket). So I should not have to touch them. The problem I have with my current mpcie combo ii is a lack of space when it comes to plugging it in the back of the case. Its a lack of space to work with and also the fact that the antennas are at its maximum length once put in place, putting strain on each end of the cable.

I am interested to know if anyone ever tried to switch the adapter out on the Intel card. Either way, there is plenty of space to work with and the cables are long enough so it doesnt put any strain on each ends. If drivers wouldnt be an issue, I would totally do it and punch another hole to use a 3x3 adapter.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!