What's new

What moca adapters can be manually configured for frontier LAN settings (1025-1350/mhz) ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bobby B

New Around Here
Hello, have frontier internet with Arris gateway and moca FCA 251 adapters. 1 at don't and another at gateway. I have a moca splitter and need to find a moca apdter that works in the LAN range of 1025-1350mhz (c4-D4 channel ranges) the gateway also works as a man moca adapter

I bought SCREEN BEAM (Ecb6200) 2.0 moca bonded adapter but the download was ranging from 50kbps to 100mbps downloads and at times stop working all together. Customer service told me in could access device and gave me the I.p. address, but it did not work. I tried to call customer service back but after 25 attempts in gave up and returned items to amazon.

Questions:
1- I am looking for FCA 251 adapters on amazon in case that may be a solution. Would the fca252 be compatible with fca251? I need them in LAN to not conflict with WAN setting between ONT and gateway moca adapters already installed and configured to WAN.

2- Is their a moca adapter the can be manually configured in the device settings to look for 1025-1350 mhz (C4-D4) channels?

Thank you for any help you can provide. 😃👋

First question ... Do you also have TV signals on the coax? Or is your coax currently only used for the MoCA WAN link between the ONT and router, with the planned addition of MoCA LAN connectivity?

For reference...

FCA251/WF-803FT (GigE port):
  • WAN: 1475-1675 MHz (2x 100 MHz; 1000 Mbps max)
  • LAN: 1025-1350 MHz (3x 100 MHz; 1500 Mbps max)
  • FULL: 1125-1675 MHz (5x 100 MHz; 2500 Mbps max)
FCA252 (2.5 GbE port):
  • 1GW: 1475-1675 MHz (2x 100 MHz; 1000 Mbps max)
  • 25GW: 400-900 MHz (5x 100 MHz; 2500 Mbps max)
  • LAN: 1125-1675 MHz (5x 100 MHz; 2500 Mbps max)
Summarizing...

FCA251[WAN] == FCA252[1GW]​
FCA251[FULL] == FCA252[LAN]​
FCA251[LAN] ... unique​
FCA252[25GW] ... unique​
The preferable solution, if you do NOT have TV signals on the coax, would be to switch to using a pair of Frontier FCA252 adapters, set to their "25GW" configuration, for the MoCA WAN link, leaving the whole of the standard MoCA Extended Band D frequency range available for MoCA LAN use -- and enabling full throughput MoCA 2.5 networks for both the WAN and LAN. (example diagram)

First question ... Do you also have TV signals on the coax? Or is your coax currently only used for the MoCA WAN link between the ONT and router, with the planned addition of MoCA LAN connectivity?
Hi, no tv signal. Only have internet service with frontier. Currently uses moca FCA 251 as WAN on router and at ont locations

Hi, no tv signal. Only have internet service with frontier. Currently uses moca FCA 251 as WAN on router and at ont locations
Then the above recommendation applies, quoting...
The preferable solution, if you do NOT have TV signals on the coax, would be to switch to using a pair of Frontier FCA252 adapters, set to their "25GW" configuration, for the MoCA WAN link, leaving the whole of the standard MoCA Extended Band D frequency range available for MoCA LAN use -- and enabling full throughput MoCA 2.5 networks for both the WAN and LAN. (example diagram)
Make sense?

For reference...

FCA252 (2.5 GbE port):
Summarizing...

FCA251[LAN] ... unique​
FCA252[25GW] ... unique​
Hello,

While waiting for a response I found a forum where a guy said the "Motorola MM1000" it is "2.0 bonded" not sure what makes it bonded. works with frontier service. Internet goes in and out intermittently. I assume it is because of overlap D band range. I read that 192.168.0.2 would access settings, but it does NOT work. I connect direct with Ethernet cable from laptop to the mm1000 Ethernet port. Amazon reviewers said it worked with frontier.

I think the Arris NVG468MQ router is set at moca 1.0? You would likely know better than I.

Then the above recommendation applies, quoting...
Make sense?

Yes, but could I use a commercially available moca adapter like the Motorola mm1000? Change the configurations to match a specific mhz range?

Or is my problem "UNIQUE" because if the frontier service I have?

I was given an meb1100 arris moca adapter from frontier and later found out I need a second one to use at ONT location. if I bought a 2nd meb1100 adapter can I use this in conjunction with the fca251 adapters? Same idea you had but only need to buy 1 more adapter instead of 2 fca252 units.

I was given an meb1100 arris moca adapter from frontier and later found out I need a second one to use at ONT location. if I bought a 2nd meb1100 adapter can I use this in conjunction with the fca251 adapters? Same idea you had but only need to buy 1 more adapter instead of 2 fca252 units.
Sure, 2 MEB1100 units could link up and provide your WAN link, and since they operate in MoCA 1.1 channel C4 (975-1025 MHz), they would similarly leave the whole of the MoCA Extended Band D range available for MoCA LAN use. The difference, of course, is that the MEB1100 is just MoCA 1.1 with a GigE network port; so max shared throughput would be around 170-180 Mbps (95 Mbps symmetrical, as another way of looking at it).

edit: Of course, 2 MEB1100's wouldn't be necessary unless the extra 70-80 Mbps unidirectional throughput is critical. The MEB1100 operates at the default frequency of the FiOS ONT built-in MoCA WAN, so another option would be to just reconfigure the ONT for a MoCA WAN connection, then use the gifted MEB1100 at the router. (see: Frontier Router Quick Setup Guide [PDF])​

There's nothing particularly unique about your setup. You could stick with the FCA251[WAN] MoCA WAN, and use MoCA adapters for the LAN that limit their operating range to not conflict with the MoCA WAN frequencies (1475-1675 MHz), but, like with the MEB1100 link, you'd be unnecessarily limiting throughput.

FCA252 adapters are available for around $30 per via eBay, but I would think you'd be able to get one or two gratis from Frontier, since the FCA251 WAN solution impinges on your ability to operate a full throughput MoCA 2.5 LAN. And if they don't require you swapping the FCA251 adapters, the FCA251 adapters could then be used for your MoCA LAN, once set to "FULL."

You haven't said what your subscribed Internet download/upload rates are, or what throughput you desire for the LAN, so there's no way to objectively assess where "sufficient" is met.

Last edited:
have frontier internet with Arris gateway and moca FCA 251 adapters. 1 at don't and another at gateway. I have a moca splitter and need to find a moca apdter that works in the LAN range of 1025-1350mhz (c4-D4 channel ranges) the gateway also works as a man moca adapter
I think the Arris NVG468MQ router is set at moca 1.0? You would likely know better than I.
So rewinding, assuming your MoCA WAN is effected via a pair of FCA251 adapters set to "WAN" (1475-1675 MHz), the Arris NVG468MQ built-in standard MoCA 2.0 LAN bridge should be able to support the MoCA LAN without the two interfering. But you'd need all your MoCA LAN nodes to be configured to operate only within the D-Low frequency range, 1125-1225 MHz. (Single channel MoCA 2.0, so 400 Mbps max shared throughput.)

edit: NVG468MQ doesn't appear to support restricting its MoCA spectrum usage, so it doesn't appear to work well with the FCA251[WAN] MoCA WAN.​

That said ... Using the FCA252[25GW] MoCA WAN solution avoids these hassles and bumps the MoCA WAN throughput to near equivalent of full duplex Gigabit, with the added benefit that you could use any combination of MoCA devices for the MoCA LAN, with each connection's throughput determined by the max MoCA spec supported by the associated two nodes.

Last edited:
Sure, 2 MEB1100 units could link up and provide your WAN link, and since they operate in MoCA 1.1 channel C4 (975-1025 MHz), they would similarly leave the whole of the MoCA Extended Band D range available for MoCA LAN use. The difference, of course, is that the MEB1100 is just MoCA 1.1 with a GigE network port; so max shared throughput would be around 170-180 Mbps (95 Mbps symmetrical, as another way of looking at it).

edit: Of course, 2 MEB1100's wouldn't be necessary unless the extra 70-80 Mbps unidirectional throughput is critical. The MEB1100 operates at the default frequency of the FiOS ONT built-in MoCA WAN, so another option would be to just reconfigure the ONT for a MoCA WAN connection, then use the gifted MEB1100 at the router. (see: Frontier Router Quick Setup Guide [PDF])​

There's nothing particularly unique about your setup. You could stick with the FCA251[WAN] MoCA WAN, and use MoCA adapters for the LAN that limit their operating range to not conflict with the MoCA WAN frequencies (1475-1675 MHz), but, like with the MEB1100 link, you'd be unnecessarily limiting throughput.

FCA252 adapters are available for around $30 per via eBay, but I would think you'd be able to get one or two gratis from Frontier, since the FCA251 WAN solution impinges on your ability to operate a full throughput MoCA 2.5 LAN. And if they don't require you swapping the FCA251 adapters, the FCA251 adapters could then be used for your MoCA LAN, once set to "FULL."

You haven't said what your subscribed Internet download/upload rates are, or what throughput you desire for the LAN, so there's no way to objectively assess where "sufficient" is met.
Hello, I have frontier 500/500 at this time. I will look into the FCA252 moca adapters. Ebay has them cheap.

If I bought 1 FCA251 and placed it in LAN would that work and be stable?

I tried screenBeam 6200 "2.0 bonded" and Motorola mm1000 "2.0 bonded". Both products info said in forums that I can access configuration page of devices by default device address and make a custom mhz band range( I was going to do 1025mhz-1350 mhz). Unfortunately, the default I.P. addresses for both did NOT work. Screen beam stopped answering the phone after 2nd call when the configuration IP address tech support gave did not work. Motorola apparently has no working customer service. I tried 3 calls and all said "No current again available...Try again later."

I will look into the FCA252 moca adapters. Ebay has them cheap.
Have you checked with Frontier, as to whether they'd supply a pair?

If I bought 1 FCA251 and placed it in LAN would that work and be stable?
I tried screenBeam 6200 "2.0 bonded" and Motorola mm1000 "2.0 bonded".
With a pair of FCA252 adapters set to "25GW" for the WAN connection, for MoCA LAN connectivity you can use FCA251 adapters set to "FULL", FCA252 adapters set to "LAN", or any other retail MoCA adapters using default settings. (example diagram)

Even the NVG468MQ's built-in standard MoCA 2.0 LAN bridge could be used, if 400 Mbps max shared throughput is acceptable. (500/500 service *would* seem to beg for bonded MoCA 2.0, at minimum, I'd think, which a pair of FCA251 adapters set to "FULL" could exceed, if surplus after the FCA252["25GW"] upgrade.)

Have you checked with Frontier, as to whether they'd supply a pair?

With a pair of FCA252 adapters set to "25GW" for the WAN connection, for MoCA LAN connectivity you can use FCA251 adapters set to "FULL", FCA252 adapters set to "LAN", or any other retail MoCA adapters using default settings. (example diagram)

Even the NVG468MQ's built-in standard MoCA 2.0 LAN bridge could be used, if 400 Mbps max shared throughput is acceptable. (500/500 service *would* seem to beg for bonded MoCA 2.0, at minimum, I'd think, which a pair of FCA251 adapters set to "FULL" could exceed, if surplus after the FCA252["25GW"] upgrade.)
Yes, i contacted frontier. I was told NO. ONLY if they need replacement from damage. I even asked If I could buy fca251 and fca252 , but was told NO. Customer service is terrible and tech support even worse with frontier. Took 20+ minutes and barely understood what the people said from overseas.

For reference...

FCA252 (2.5 GbE port):
Summarizing...

FCA251[LAN] ... unique​
FCA252[25GW] ... unique​

Thank you for your diagrams Krkaufman!
Would this change at all if I have three eero devices as my router/mesh network?

Currently I have one eero pro 6e (downstairs office) and two eero 6+ (two upstairs bedrooms) in my network.
I have a MoCa device at my ONT in my garage (before the coax splitters) and two FCA252 moca devices in my house. One downstairs and one upstairs.

Both FCA252 devices in my home are set at LAN by the frontier technician. Only the upstairs eero 6+ (Master Bedroom) seems to have a wired connection with the port being "Internet (WAN)". My downstairs Eero pro 6e shows a wireless connection and the port which I was hoping would be a wired internet connection via MoCa shows the "Master Bedroom" eero plugged in the port.

Your diagram shows two MoCa devices at one router? The Frontier technician did not set it up like that and wondering if that's part of the reason why only one of my eero's are showing up as hardwired.

Would this change at all if I have three eero devices as my router/mesh network?
The main issue with the example diagram posted relative to that scenario is more the "eero" than the quantity of mesh nodes, given eero boxes (most mesh devices) only have 2 Ethernet ports. (i.e. You'd likely need to use Gigabit switches to boost Ethernet port capacity.)

You also didn't specify whether you have TV signals flowing on the coax.

Currently I have one eero pro 6e (downstairs office) and two eero 6+ (two upstairs bedrooms) in my network.
I have a MoCa device at my ONT in my garage (before the coax splitters) and two FCA252 moca devices in my house. One downstairs and one upstairs. ... Both FCA252 devices in my home are set at LAN
Why the different characterizations ... "MoCA device" at ONT vs explicit "FCA252[LAN]" at the other locations?

What model # MoCA device is used at the ONT? And if a FCA251 or FCS252, to what position is its configuration toggle switch set?

The main issue with the example diagram posted relative to that scenario is more the "eero" than the quantity of mesh nodes, given eero boxes (most mesh devices) only have 2 Ethernet ports. (i.e. You'd likely need to use Gigabit switches to boost Ethernet port capacity.)

You also didn't specify whether you have TV signals flowing on the coax.

Why the different characterizations ... "MoCA device" at ONT vs explicit "FCA252[LAN]" at the other locations?

What model # MoCA device is used at the ONT? And if a FCA251 or FCS252, to what position is its configuration toggle switch set?
Thank you for your reply. I do not have TV signal flowing on the coax. Just have 500down/500up fios service with Frontier.

Sorry I did not provide that info because I'll need to open up the ONT box in my garage to see what is inside. It was a MoCa device that was already in there from the previous home owner. I'll get more details once I get home today.

I'm guessing it is a FCA252 because I think it was a black MoCa box that looked similar to the two MoCa FCA252 devices he put inside my home during his installation date. I'll also double check to see what mode it is set at.

Roger. I'll hold with further replies pending details on the MoCA device at the ONT.
The MoCa device is the fca252 in LAN mode at the ONT box.

Downstairs has moca to eero pro6e show in 2nd picture. Also in LAN mode. One port is the moca, other is to TV.

Upstairs has moca lan mode to eero 6+.

Only upstairs is wired connection. Downstairs moca no longer seems to work.
Downstairs eero detects moca connection as upstairs (“master bedroom”) eero shown in eero screenshot of the connected ports.

I’m sure the setup is probably not correct since it doesn’t match your diagram. Weird thing is I can’t seem to get downstairs moca to work as WAN gateway anymore even after disconnecting all upstairs eero. Do I need to reset ONT?

Attachments

• IMG_1974.jpeg
    IMG_1974.jpeg
    73.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1975.jpeg
    IMG_1975.jpeg
    104.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1976.jpeg
    IMG_1976.jpeg
    137.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1980.jpeg
    IMG_1980.jpeg
    39.1 KB · Views: 19

Downstairs has moca to eero pro6e show in 2nd picture. Also in LAN mode. One port is the moca, other is to TV.

Upstairs has moca lan mode to eero 6+.

Only upstairs is wired connection. Downstairs moca no longer seems to work.
Downstairs eero detects moca connection as upstairs (“master bedroom”) eero shown in eero screenshot of the connected ports.

I’m sure the setup is probably not correct since it doesn’t match your diagram. Weird thing is I can’t seem to get downstairs moca to work as WAN gateway anymore even after disconnecting all upstairs eero. Do I need to reset ONT?
Quick update I unplugged all eeros and changed the Moca at Ont and downstairs office to 25Gw. Reset the ONT and repowered on only downstairs eero and moca also set at 25Gw. The moca lights for pwr, moca and Ethernet all are green but when eero finally powers on the light is red.

I go upstairs and plug in moca at 25Gw and eero and it gets wired internet. Very confused why my downstairs eero with Moca can’t be wired internet as it’s the exact same config as my upstairs eero.

That’s a problem. You’ll need a pair of the FCA252 adapters flipped to “25GW”, one at the ONT and one at your primary router, to link the ONT & router Ethernet WAN ports. You may need to power cycle the ONT to get it to recognize any change in primary router.

Then you’ll need 3 more MoCA adapters, all operating in the standard MoCA Extended Band D range (1125-1675 MHz) to effect your shared MoCA LAN, extending your primary router’s LAN over the shared coax. (Pretty much all per the example diagram.)

For the MoCA LAN, any or a mix of the following should work:

* retail MoCA 2.5 adapters with default settings;
* FCA252 set to “LAN”; or
* FCA251 set to “FULL”

… and installed per the example diagram.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!