What's new

AB-Solution 1.07 is out!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

it seems that when clicking on some results from google search they get blocked. Any suggestions?
Maybe they are themselves Ads. Depending on what you searched for, google places affiliate links as top search results. Look at the url such a link wants to open by hovering with your mouse over the link. In Firefox it shows the link in the bottom status bar. Work from ther to add them to the whitelist.txt

@thelonelycoder I'm having trouble completing a fresh install.
Everything goes OK until it tries to download the hosts files and all files fail with the same error:

blocking IP is 0.0.0.0
using shooter40sw hosts list

downloading the hosts files
using 0.0.0.0 as blocking IP
adding IPv6 entries if enabled

getting hosts file 1
http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.txt
wget: invalid option -- 'o'
BusyBox v1.24.2 () multi-call binary.

Usage: wget [-c|--continue] [-s|--spider] [-q|--quiet] [-O|--output-document FILE]
[--header 'header: value'] [-Y|--proxy on/off] [-P DIR]
[-U|--user-agent AGENT] URL...

Retrieve files via HTTP or FTP

-s Spider mode - only check file existence
-c Continue retrieval of aborted transfer
-q Quiet
-P DIR Save to DIR (default .)
-O FILE Save to FILE ('-' for stdout)
-U STR Use STR for User-Agent header
-Y Use proxy ('on' or 'off')

download hosts file 1 failed, using backup file
check the download log for reason:
/adblocking/logs/download_hosts.log

Could this be the script or the version of wget or busybox installed?

Everything goes OK until it tries to download the hosts files and all files fail with the same error:
This would be better in the 2.01 thread, since it looks like you are using the 1.1 update script, yes?

I cu'd the 1.1 script and ran it for the shooter40sw lists, and it completed without error, but I'm wondering about the "o" rather than "O" in line 47.

Nifty how you can watch for download errors now.

What level of firmware is installed on the router? More recent versions of the router firmware replaced the Busybox wget with a full GNU wget and the wget options have changed. It looks like the options are based on the later wget.

This would be better in the 2.01 thread, since it looks like you are using the 1.1 update script, yes?

I cu'd the 1.1 script and ran it for the shooter40sw lists, and it completed without error, but I'm wondering about the "o" rather than "O" in line 47.
I just used the code in the first post. The install is showing the following:

A B - S O L U T I O N A D - B L O C K I N G

This is AB-Solution 2.0.1 by thelonelycoder
--------------------------------------------------

Welcome to Ad-blocking and Dnsmasq logging!
--------------------------------------------------

I wonder if the script was corrupted?
Do you know where it's located? I could just take a peek at it.
BTW, thanks for the quick reply!

What level of firmware is installed on the router? More recent versions of the router firmware replaced the Busybox wget with a full GNU wget and the wget options have changed. It looks like the options are based on the later wget.
It's a R7000 with 380.61_1 installed.
I've got entware installed with busybox installed. Would that overwrite the default?

It's a R7000 with 380.61_1 installed.
I've got entware installed with busybox installed. Would that overwrite the default?
The R7000 isn't Merlin's FW, but a fork. I don't know what version of wget he may be using.

EDIT: But it would appear he is still using the Busybox version.

The R7000 isn't Merlin's FW, but a fork. I don't know what version of wget he may be using.
Maybe I should try the curl script.
Is there any way to back out the changes that have been made, or should the reload just update the current installation?

I just used the code in the first post. The install is showing the following:

Do you know where it's located? I could just take a peek at it.
The script is update-hosts located in /tmp/mnt/[NAME OF YOUR USB DRIVE]/adblocking/scripts

I'm running .62b1 with entware but only pixelserv installed, so I don't have the entware-ng version of busybox running, if that makes a difference. But you must have the same script as me, so I don't think you mean to fiddle with it. Maybe comment out busybox and try again?

The script is update-hosts located in /tmp/mnt/[NAME OF YOUR USB DRIVE]/adblocking/scripts

I'm running .62b1 with entware but only pixelserv installed, so I don't have the entware-ng version of busybox running, if that makes a difference. But you must have the same script as me, so I don't think you mean to fiddle with it. Maybe comment out busybox and try again?
Yeah I was just looking at it.
admin@NETGEAR-7000:/tmp/home/root# wget -V
GNU Wget 1.18 built on linux-gnu.
Don't know if this is the correct version.

blocking IP is 0.0.0.0
using shooter40sw hosts list

downloading the hosts files
using 0.0.0.0 as blocking IP
adding IPv6 entries if enabled

getting hosts file 1
http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.txt
wget: invalid option -- 'o'
BusyBox v1.24.2 () multi-call binary.

Usage: wget [-c|--continue] [-s|--spider] [-q|--quiet] [-O|--output-document FILE]
[--header 'header: value'] [-Y|--proxy on/off] [-P DIR]
[-U|--user-agent AGENT] URL...

Retrieve files via HTTP or FTP

-s Spider mode - only check file existence
-c Continue retrieval of aborted transfer
-q Quiet
-P DIR Save to DIR (default .)
-O FILE Save to FILE ('-' for stdout)
-U STR Use STR for User-Agent header
-Y Use proxy ('on' or 'off')

download hosts file 1 failed, using backup file
check the download log for reason:
/adblocking/logs/download_hosts.log

Can you please post this error in the correct thread, I'm not going to answer here as this is clearly a 2.0.x version you are using.
I'll probably have an answer by then.
Thanks all for your insight, especially @john9527.

Sure.
I just found out about the correct thread when elorimer mentioned it.

I am having hard time getting ab-solution installed. I've tried curl method and it failed. I have tried wget and it also failed. Then I created ext4 usb drive plugged it into my Asus rt-AC68U running Merlin FW (latest official release) and when when I execute sh /tmp/mnt/AdScan/ab-solution.sh I get no error. But I don't know where the packaged was installed. I believe it hasn't been as I cannot issue ./ab-solution as it cannot find the file. I cannot navigate to /tmp/mnt/AdScan/ folder either but sh /tmp/mnt/AdScan/ab-solution.sh doesn't return any errors. It is got to be something obvious that I am missing here. I can check the exact FW rev once I get home but I did FW upgrade yesterday to the latest and greatest (non Beta). I would really appreciate if someone could advice what may be going on.

I am having hard time getting ab-solution installed. I've tried curl method and it failed. I have tried wget and it also failed. Then I created ext4 usb drive plugged it into my Asus rt-AC68U running Merlin FW (latest official release) and when when I execute sh /tmp/mnt/AdScan/ab-solution.sh I get no error. But I don't know where the packaged was installed. I believe it hasn't been as I cannot issue ./ab-solution as it cannot find the file. I cannot navigate to /tmp/mnt/AdScan/ folder either but sh /tmp/mnt/AdScan/ab-solution.sh doesn't return any errors. It is got to be something obvious that I am missing here. I can check the exact FW rev once I get home but I did FW upgrade yesterday to the latest and greatest (non Beta). I would really appreciate if someone could advice what may be going on.

Try the latest version and support thread

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/release-ab-solution-3.35540/

Technically speaking, we "could" do this in theory. For example, I use PIA as my VPN provider. They provide to users their IP's of their DNS servers:

So, (now follow me here :) ) , If you define your DNS servers (instead of ISP or google, open dns etc,..) as your VPN providers DNS servers, then you CAN actually use your VPN providers DNS servers while ALSO using Adblocking via dnsmasq :)

Of course, this would be the "strict" option, but giving you the benefit you would get with "Exclusive", while also maintaining your ad blocking. :cool:

Hello @cybrnook! Can you use your vpn service with ab-solution 3? In my case I am not able to, what configurations do you use? Thank you.

[ Error ] No compatible device(s) found to install
Diversion on. A device formatted with one of
these file systems is required:
ext2, ext3

Could soneone give me a script for format it ext3 for my Asus RT-AC66U, I am probually not advanced enough to do it myself.

Thanks in advance.

[ Error ] No compatible device(s) found to install
Diversion on. A device formatted with one of
these file systems is required:
ext2, ext3

Could soneone give me a script for format it ext3 for my Asus RT-AC66U, I am probually not advanced enough to do it myself.

Thanks in advance.
Use the Diversion thread to post questions. This is an old thread about an early version of its predecessor.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/diversion-the-router-ad-blocker.48538/