What's new

AB-Solution 2.0 is out! (v2.0.1)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

No I don't.
But I do have entware-ng installed with busybox.
Just found that the firewall has "Enable IPv6 Firewall" turned on.
Mean anything?

Ok, you have a newer version of BusyBox and therefore wget that does not support or use the -o option in a different way.
My output for wget --help is:
Code:
GNU Wget 1.16
Logging and input file:
  -o,  --output-file=FILE          log messages to FILE.
I use it to log the wget output to a file.
In the meantime, you can edit the first part of line 47 from:
Code:
wget -t 5 -o $dir/logs/download_hosts.log "$hosts" -O- |
to:
Code:
wget -qO- "$hosts" |
Thats just the code up to and including the first pipe (|).
If you have IPv6 enabled, replace the (different than line 47) code in line 50 too.
I don't post the complete line here because it would trigger cloudfare's protection.

But I do have entware-ng installed with busybox.
That's probably the problem....the entware /opt directories are inserted in the path before the router /usr directories. So you are getting the Entware busybox wget instead of the updated router wget.

Ok, you have a newer version of BusyBox and therefore wget that does not support or use the -o option in a different way.
My output for wget --help is:
Code:
GNU Wget 1.16
Logging and input file:
  -o,  --output-file=FILE          log messages to FILE.
I use it to log the wget output to a file.
In the meantime, you can edit the first part of line 47 from:
Code:
wget -t 5 -o $dir/logs/download_hosts.log "$hosts" -O- |
to:
Code:
wget -qO- "$hosts" |
Thats just the code up to and including the first pipe (|).
If you have IPv6 enabled, replace the (different than line 47) code in line 50 too.
I don't post the complete line here because it would trigger cloudfare's protection.

I was afraid of that. I've got:
wget --help
GNU Wget 1.18
So I can just edit the script and rerun?

That's probably the problem....the entware /opt path is inserted in the path before the router /usr directories. So you are getting the Entware busybox wget instead of the router wget.
I wonder if curl is the better way of doing this. They may have had their things sorted out long ago and don't change existing options on the fly.
In ab-solution.sh I only use curl. The not-yet-released log-stats.sh uses wget to get the cert for the mail function and update-hosts.sh has three wget instances.
I probably switch them all over to curl if I don't read/hear or see downsides. Or just use the simplest options for them.

So I can just edit the script and rerun?
Sure. I'll sleep over it and see if anyone has more insights into that. I may then release a new version of update-hosts.sh

Try editing the script and adding the full path to the router wget...

/usr/sbin/wget

/usr/sbin/wget
Would that always point to the busybox wget? I kinda like the -o option for the logging feature. I have yet to find a good way of doing that with curl. The long line of code does not work with the | tee piping.

I need to check bashrc
I may have added entware at the beginning.
You may also want to think about using Entware Busybox (or only using applets not installed by the router).....If I remember correctly the router Busybox has some 'customizations' applied. There may be some incompatibilities with the Entware version.

So just look on /opt on the router and remove those from entware?
Or /bin?

Reran the updated script and it installed with only adaway failing to download. I'll check the log after I redo my jffs start files.
Thanks everyone for helping me get this installed.
I've used tomato for years and I'm just trying to get my mind adjusted to the Asuswrt-Merlin way of doing things!

Reran the updated script and it installed with only adaway failing to download. I'll check the log after I redo my jffs start files.
Since I use these hosts files a lot to test my builds, I have them all downloading regularly to an in house server.
The one exception for the auto-download script is adaway. That one always fails. Probably because that server has a newer version of bash.

/usr/sbin/wget

Probably a good practice to do. Asus started doing the same in a recent firmware update, specifying the full path to various binaries.

could set variables etc if the paths change, makes less changing the whole script if something was to change
I'm going to set the environment variable PATH in all the scripts to only look for the system binaries.
These are what I use to program, they should suffice for the scripts to work properly.
I'm sure this works well in Asuswrt-Merlin. For forks of it, we'll have to see what happens.

I'm going to set the environment variable PATH in all the scripts to only look for the system binaries.
These are what I use to program, they should suffice for the scripts to work properly.
I'm sure this works well in Asuswrt-Merlin. For forks of it, we'll have to see what happens.

I'll be glad to test it for you on my Netgear R7000

could set variables etc if the paths change, makes less changing the whole script if something was to change
And I might use your APP CHECK from your script. You have it easier in Pi-Hole, I believe.

I'll be glad to test it for you on my Netgear R7000
I'll be inviting you as soon as they are ready. You'll be an early tester of the next version...