What's new

AB-Solution 2.0 is out! (v2.0.1)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Just the heat and humidity would do it.
And the static discharge from the white (!) wall to wall carpeting I had there. Had good times there anyway.

I installed this program and it shows XXXX blocked hosts and XXXXX hosts blocked when I ran it, but it doest seem to change over time and I also do not notice any difference in behavior when I visit problematic websites. Is there a way to test this is actually doing anything? I tried all the host update options, from min to the high file size hosts file.

I installed this program and it shows XXXX blocked hosts and XXXXX hosts blocked when I ran it, but it doest seem to change over time and I also do not notice any difference in behavior when I visit problematic websites. Is there a way to test this is actually doing anything? I tried all the host update options, from min to the high file size hosts file.
Let me explain:
The number 'blocked hosts' represents the total count of lines in the file /adblocking/hosts-adblock.
These are the blocked Domains, for example addstats.com.
It certainly changes when you change the hosts file type (h), to represent the changed line count.

When one of these blocked hosts gets blocked by AB-Solution,
'hosts blocked' comes into play. This number represents the count of domains that have been blocked by AB-Solution.
It does this by counting the the terms hosts-adblock and blacklist.txt in the dnsmasq.log file.

'hosts-blocked' is '0' (or very close to it) when you install AB-Solution.
If your x's are a number greater than '0' then ad-blocking works from the router's perspective.
Every time you run (u), the counters get updated.
The 'next update:' shows when (u) gets run automatically by AB-Solution.

Where can we find out which sites or IP address have been blocked?
Enable logging, and follow the log using option 2.

I am trying to verify that the tool is working. I have it installed with the biggest list, I am watching the logs. I visit multiple sites from the hosts files and they do not get blocked nor listed in the filter. What would be my issue?
http://i.imgur.com/eTOgWOT.png

Where can we find out which sites or IP address have been blocked?
AB-Solution does not block by IP.
It actively and vehemently discourages the router from resolving Domains in the blocklist to an outside IP in your LAN.
That's how the ad-blocking works.

I am trying to verify that the tool is working. I have it installed with the biggest list, I am watching the logs. I visit multiple sites from the hosts files and they do not get blocked nor listed in the filter. What would be my issue?
http://i.imgur.com/eTOgWOT.png
Check your devices DNS Setting. They HAVE to point to your routers IP.
Clear DNS Cache, Browser cache, let your dog out.

Thank you!

Uh hm. How should I tell you? You wont like this news (to you)...
You DO NOT have to download ab-solution.sh every time you want to access AB-Solution on your router.
ab-solution.sh is locally stored on your router in /tmp/mnt/<your device>/ab-solution.sh

Thank you very much for the reply. I am so silly to cu the url each time to call out the menu because when I simply sh ab-solution.sh, putty just gives me an error about file not found.

I think I might update AB-Solution to v2.0.1 soon to enjoy the new features.

Once again, thanks dev. You save my old PC from the annoying ads.

@GDT @rotorbudd and those who want to try out something:

I have uploaded update-hosts.sh v1.2 into the 'for_testing' folder in the
Downloads section on www.ab-solution.info. Here's the curl link:
Code:
curl -O www.ab-solution.info/releases/for_testing/update-hosts.sh

How to participate:
- Download the filecomputers that stay on this router!
- open the existing file /adblocking/scripts/update-hosts.sh
- copy the complete line starting with 'source /tmp/mnt/' near the top of the file
- paste the line into the new update-hosts.sh, replacing the placeholder 'source'*.
- make sure the file is in unix format (the line endings).
- replace the old update-hosts.sh with the new one
- Run (u)

I would like to know:
- if you use adaway.org/hosts.txt does it work now? (it will!)

* Don't use adaway. I was using UBlock but ab-solution works so well that I've uninstalled it on the computers that stay on this router.

- how it works on systems with a custom wget binary (e.g. from Entware)

* I installed entware-ng after ab-solutions and had no problems. I'm trying to setup pixelserv-tl right now.

- there's more details now during download, does it make sense?

* More info is always better!

- Look closely, there's a counter output**, how accurate is it? (you can scroll up the terminal once AB is back in the Menu)
- suggestions and errors

*Seems to work OK

*) If you don't do that and simply replace the old update-hosts.sh with the new one,
AB-Solution will detect that it misses a valid 'source' part and auto-downloads a new copy from ab-solution.info, thus getting again the current v1.1.

**) Counter looks like so:
Code:
sorting, removing whitelist entries
this will take about 17 seconds...

...it actually took 14 seconds.

My comments are in the quote.
Thanks for the great program. I've been able to remove all the browser adblockers on my "stay at home" devices.

@rotorbudd Quoting: * Don't use adaway. I was using UBlock but ab-solution works so well that I've uninstalled it on the computers that stay on this router.

I meant the hosts file, not the Android blocker. They switched to https and I built in a common workaround to still get the list without certificates.
AB-Solution will soon come with a built in pixelserv-tls installer. Just a few clicks and everything is up and running.

update-hosts.sh version 1.3 is released.
Run (cu) to update.

As part of the new code in the next version of AB-Solution, I have done some more work on the hosts update script.
Everything is backwards compatible for the 2.x.x versions. So, (cu) update away.

Changelog update-hosts.sh 1.3
Note: Version number increased from 1.1 to 1.3 so that v1.2 testers can run updater (cu)
Fix: adaway.org hosts file download works again (https check fix)
Fix: Actual number of blocked hosts is shown in head of menu, not the line count of 'hosts-adblock'
IPv6 entries were incorrectly counted as well, falsely doubling the 'blocked hosts' counter​
New: System wget binary is used for compatibility reasons
Improvement: More processing details are shown when running (u)
Improvement: Estimate of processing time for sorting is shown when running (u)

Hi... updated to update-hosts.sh 1.3 and switched from medium to shooter40sw choice. to grab the adaway files...downloaded was small... 6 files if i remember...that sound about right?. Should i see a noticeable performance slowdown using a larger host file?

Just an observation about the stats.... your clients are identified by IP... however if you are using DHCP there is the possibility that one machine may be assigned several IP which will show up as different clients in the stats. I guess this is all to do with the way the stats are pulled from the dnsmasq.log, however it might be nice to track by machine.... don't know if its worth the coding effort or even doable.

don't know if its worth the coding effort or even doable.
My main computer has three NIC's that are all in use. And I don't bother, as I know the IP's.
That's a maybe, at most.

Hi... updated to update-hosts.sh 1.3 and switched from medium to shooter40sw choice. to grab the adaway files...downloaded was small... 6 files if i remember...that sound about right?. Should i see a noticeable performance slowdown using a larger host file?
http://www.ab-solution.info/how-to/
Scroll down.

Isn't there any other way to enable email other than gmail?

I'd rather I just saw the stats rather than whoever works at google. ;)
I'll let Sheena Easton tell you the news...

That's how accurate it can be sometimes:
Code:
this'll take about 30 seconds...

your RT-AC66U did it in 30 seconds

That's how accurate it can be sometimes:
Code:
this'll take about 30 seconds...

your RT-AC66U did it in 30 seconds
Or not..... ;)
Code: