What's new

Able to swap out the Dual-core Intel G3250 3.2 GHz Processor in the TVS-671 with an (i5) or (i7)?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

iunlock

Regular Contributor
I've been seeing little bits here and there of people successfully swapping out the CPU on their units.

Specifically for the QNAP TVS-671 model with the Dual-core Intel G3250 3.2 GHz Processor, would it be a plug in and play to replace it with an i5 or i7?

For any future inquiries, the answer is YES.

Specifically for the QNAP TVS-671 model with the Dual-core Intel G3250 3.2 GHz Processor, would it be a plug in and play to replace it with an i5 or i7?

As long as you stay within the same processor family - e.g. Haswell in your case with the G3250, you should be fine...

FWIW - might not need that much more horsepower - so unless you get a really good deal, you might be better off where you are.

I suppose the worst case - if things blow up, QNAP could always reject a warranty claim, but I haven't heard or seen anything that would suggest this is the case.

As long as you stay within the same processor family - e.g. Haswell in your case with the G3250, you should be fine...

FWIW - might not need that much more horsepower - so unless you get a really good deal, you might be better off where you are.

I suppose the worst case - if things blow up, QNAP could always reject a warranty claim, but I haven't heard or seen anything that would suggest this is the case.

Indeed. I'm not too worried about the warranty as that's pretty much null from the moment my mind even thinks about an engine swap. :p

My buddy has the TVS-871 and he has successfully upgraded his CPU to the i7. It seems to flying....it's very noticeable.

Indeed. I'm not too worried about the warranty as that's pretty much null from the moment my mind even thinks about an engine swap. :p

My buddy has the TVS-871 and he has successfully upgraded his CPU to the i7. It seems to flying....it's very noticeable.

Well, if you're ok with the warranty - that's cool...

One other consideration - shop careful on the i3/i5/i7 vs. the Pentium G3250 - not just processor architecture, you want to hit the same thermals... the G3250 is a 53W TDP processor, to stay within the heat-sink/cooler capability, you want to be same on the i3/i5/i7...

So an i7-4790, which is the same socket, is likely not a good candidate, as it's an 84W processor...

Well, if you're ok with the warranty - that's cool...

One other consideration - shop careful on the i3/i5/i7 vs. the Pentium G3250 - not just processor architecture, you want to hit the same thermals... the G3250 is a 53W TDP processor, to stay within the heat-sink/cooler capability, you want to be same on the i3/i5/i7...

So an i7-4790, which is the same socket, is likely not a good candidate, as it's an 84W processor...

Indeed. The ONLY i7 to be used is the Intel Core i7-4790S 3.2 GHz (Intel Turbo Boost max 4.0 GHz), max. TDP 65W. The TVS-x71 has a TDP of 53 to 65W .... It's the 4790S...not 4790.

I forgot to mention the model numbers. Good looking out though!

I forgot to upload this. i7-4790S transplant successful.

Now the TVS-671 is powered by the Quad Core 3.2HGz (i7) with 16GB or RAM. It's fast. Real fast.

tvs671-i7-4790s-jpg.4306

Attachments

• TVS671-i7-4790S.jpg
    TVS671-i7-4790S.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 2,185
I forgot to upload this. i7-4790S transplant successful.

Now the TVS-671 is powered by the Quad Core 3.2HGz (i7) with 16GB or RAM. It's fast. Real fast.

Cool - hard to justify though - how to define/measure what "real fast" is? Esp. on a SOHO LAN - might be different in the enterprise space, but when looking at the typical SNB userspace here - it's probably overkill.

On a GiGE lan - most modern NAS boxes can saturate the network before the CPU is pegged at max..

(but the HW hacker guy in me, I do appreciate the need for speed, lol)

Cool - hard to justify though - how to define/measure what "real fast" is? Esp. on a SOHO LAN - might be different in the enterprise space, but when looking at the typical SNB userspace here - it's probably overkill.

On a GiGE lan - most modern NAS boxes can saturate the network before the CPU is pegged at max..

(but the HW hacker guy in me, I do appreciate the need for speed, lol)

That depends on ones usage. For me it's very justifiable and just plain out fun. I have 10 people using the NAS with either streaming music, movies, using VM or backing up their photos (real estate business) to their folders on the NAS. We're almost done wiring up the office for 10Gbe, which is the reason why I got this unit since it's capable. Sure, it's overkill for 99.9% of the users on SNB LOL...I agree, but knowing what's possible is sometimes just as reassuring as actually doing it. I choose to think of it as a peace of mind.

For a user that is planning to and/or knowing that they would need more power in the "near" future, why buy a low end model only to be stuck with it and having to dish out more money to buy another NAS? That to me is poor planning. Of course it depends on the persons budget as well, but my point is you can buy NAS (A) and be able to expand for a few hundred euros or less or buy NAS (B) and be stuck.

Regarding "fast," what I meant is that it's handling multiple 1080p transcoding and multi tasking very well amongst varies users.

I'm with you....the hacker within us is what makes all this fun....

Last edited:
Sure, it's overkill for 99.9% of the users on SNB LOL...I agree, but knowing what's possible is sometimes just as reassuring as actually doing it

True, true...

Again - we're on an edge case, and sometimes, with the NAS market, it's balancing CPU vs. Storage - so knowing this, it's pretty important to understand what are needs vs. wants, and then work them through...

I find the balance on NAS boxen is more towards storage as long as the CPU is fast enough, and RAM is more than enough...

Then, once there - sort it, and if one wants to spend more money - either a really fast desktop (Workstation/Gamer class) or a handy ultrabook...

Indeed. I agree :)

BTW, I see that you're a Mac user as well.....I'll try to PM you with some questions...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!