What's new

AC3100 - Airplay Nonsense!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ellipsis

New Around Here
I finally got Fios to allow me to use whatever router I wanted. Did some research, came home with a Asus
RT-AC3100. I waited a couple of weeks before flashing it with the latest Merlin Firmware.

However, the entire time I've been having issues with Airplay. My AppleTV works fine, however it's the Receivers I have that are flaky and work about 50% of the time. Merlin firmware didn't improve anything in that arena.

I have a Pioneer 1012k & Denon AVR-E400, both of which have dual zones that I rely on Airplay for. All with static IPs set.

There is so much conflicting data out there about IGMP snooping, RTS threashold, Smart connect etc.

Does anyone have settings that work for Airplay on non-Apple devices? I'm not as advanced as a lot of you, but certainly would appreciate any advice! Thank you!

-Peter

I've run into issues with my Denon receiver with some firewall DoS protection features from a different vendor (blocking fragmented packets & UDP flood protection). So I'd start with making sure DoS protection is disabled in the Asus firewall settings.

I have a Marantz receiver with Airplay. It runs smooth with Merlin 380.67 (router AC 68U). After I flashed, I just enabled IGMP snooping. Nothing else.

Thank you both-- i turned off all the protection features to see if that changes anything

LHF - there are two types of IGMP in the Asus admin.

1) LAN > IPTV >
Enable multicast routing (IGMP Proxy)
Enable efficient multicast forwarding (IGMP Snooping)

2) WIRELESS > PROFESSIONAL > Enable IGMP Snooping

Which do you have turned on? Thanks!

Ellipsis,

The second one. I do not use IPTV. You can see my "professional tab" in two sanpshots. It is in portuguese, but I believe it is easy to understand to verify your router configuration.

Hope I helped :)

Attachments

• fig_01.PNG
    fig_01.PNG
    16.6 KB · Views: 599
  • fig_02.PNG
    fig_02.PNG
    13.3 KB · Views: 519
Too bad! :(

After you flashed Merlin´s FW, you did a factory reset? It is highly recommended. Unplug all your stuff, do a factory reset from webgui (restore configuration) and setup it from scratch .

I took a snapshot from my "General Wireless" configuration. See attached. Others things:

* I do not know if it makes difference, but a I do not work with static IP.
* Have you tried a cable conection just to check?
* Have you tried to update your receivers FW?

Attachments

• fig_03.PNG
    fig_03.PNG
    68.7 KB · Views: 655
Hey LHF... Thanks again for helping out. I decided to disable the IGMP snooping feature, and reassigned all new static IP's. That appears to have fixed it! It's crazy how many articles/posts say to enable it. I will update this thread again if anything changes. Thank you for your help!
-Peter

That's good news! But it is really weird .... all articles and posts that I also read say to enable IGMP snooping .... My Marantz only works with airplay if this feature is enabled.

You are wellcome! :)

IGMP snooping monitors IGMP communications and optimizes wireless multicast traffic. So, if your receiver is wired, this feature does not apply.