What's new

AC3100 and Gigabit

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yes, I agree that it might be a hardware or a software issue too ;)

Seriously though, if you're using the same exact port and cable for the two tests, because I assumed you were (I'm also assuming you have checked the system load, event log errors and io thrashing during the tests to ensure it's not something that's being reported or is unrelated), you could try rolling back the driver to an older version.

I had/have an issue with a wifi device that runs fine on a driver from 2014 but barely functions on the latest driver.

Outside of that, I agree with a new NIC. From experience when a NIC has issues, it usually means it's just going to be a pita again at some point.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Yup, sums up my experiences with a Killer wifi card that comes with Dell XPS laptop.
Mine is an Asus USB AC adaptor but killer are notorious for random issues, especially unnecessary resource usage.

I'd agree something is up with that NIC. could it be its not 1gbps bidirectional? Like maybe its only half duplex?

I'd agree something is up with that NIC. could it be its not 1gbps bidirectional? Like maybe its only half duplex?

That’s my immediate thought as well, thought that should be obvious from the web UI. That being said, I don’t think a user can force a full-duplex link.

hmm you can actually.. I think if you go into device properties in windows you can specify the link rates for most NIC's. in there you may notice it only offer 1000mbs half duplex which will very quickly answer your question

hmm you can actually.. I think if you go into device properties in windows you can specify the link rates for most NIC's. in there you may notice it only offer 1000mbs half duplex which will very quickly answer your question

This is blogpost claims "Gigabit Ethernet is full-duplex period. There is no half-duplex mode." This answer from StackExchange says it is in the standards but it's not configurable manually. @sfx2000 can probably explain this further.

I just checked on my Win10 machine with an Asus motherboard + Intel NIC, this is what I see (not my screenshot, but essentially the same):
speed_and_duplex_values_advanced_tab_adapter_configurations.png

Capable or not, I highly doubt they've been modifying driver parameters and if auto-negotiation by default is resulting in anything less than the highest compatible link speed, that's a problem. Changing the defaults is likely to just be a waste of time.

Reactions: kfp
If it is a killer, which I haven't seen that actually specified, it might be worthwhile removing any killer monitoring app if it's installed and install the bare driver. This generally helps with excessive resource usage which _may_ affect performance.

Just to circle back... I installed a video card in my computer (same computer, but now using a video card instead of the onboard motherboard video) and BAM. I'm now hitting 935Mbps. Not sure what a video card has to do with the onboard network adapter...

I can only imagine it has something to do with either processing or memory bandwidth and allocation. Something was obviously alleviated by offloading to a dedicated GPU. At least now it's working I guess :D

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!