What's new

AC3200 behind a cable router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Joel Teixeira

Occasional Visitor
Hello all,

I've been using my ac3200 together with a bridged adsl modem (ac3200 was responsible for pppoe authentication). Today I switched to a cable modem (router) and, therefore, there's no pppoe authentication anymore. I set the modem/router lan ip as 192.168.0.1 and the wan ip on Asus to static 192.168.0.254 (lan 192.168.1.1). Now instead of getting the real wan ip address I'm getting the internal ip as shown on the image attached. Also, my ddns (no-ip) is not working anymore (it points to 192.168.0.254). On openwrt I could tell him to get the ip from the interface or dedicated websites. In this case seems that interface is the only option. The third and last problem is, my nat rules isnt working anymore as it was on pppoe topology.

I really appreciate any help.

Best regards.
uploadfromtaptalk1435185851957.jpg

If your WAN gets a non-public IP then it means your modem isn't bridged, and is running a DHCP server, which provides your router with that IP.

If your WAN gets a non-public IP then it means your modem isn't bridged, and is running a DHCP server, which provides your router with that IP.
Yeap, maybe I wasn't clear enough. The old modem was bridged, not this one. This one it's a router and instead of pppoe authentication like before now I'm using static ip on asus. So the information is right, considering the interface. But it would be better if I could see on the Asus administration page my real wan ip (not the internal).

On this image we can see how it works on openwrt. There's a "source of ip" where we can set to check the ip from external sites and not the interface. Is there similar on asuswrt?

uploadfromtaptalk1435189128310.png

Regarding the other two issues (ddns ip and broken Nat forwarding (even setting Asus on dmz), do you have some tip to share?

Why are you setting your AC3200 up with a Static WAN address? When you do that, you are telling your router to use that as the WAN address, which is why you are seeing that IP address as your WAN address - you assigned it that way.

Just set your WAN Connection Type to Automatic IP and let the AC3200 get a Dynamic IP from the modem/router.

However, this may cause problems for you because you will be dual-NATted - first in your modem/router and then again in your AC3200. You really need to get that modem/router set to Bridge Mode, so that it will pass the public WAN IP to your AC3200.

Why are you setting your AC3200 up with a Static WAN address? When you do that, you are telling your router to use that as the WAN address, which is why you are seeing that IP address as your WAN address - you assigned it that way.

Just set your WAN Connection Type to Automatic IP and let the AC3200 get a Dynamic IP from the modem/router.

However, this may cause problems for you because you will be dual-NATted - first in your modem/router and then again in your AC3200. You really need to get that modem/router set to Bridge Mode, so that it will pass the public WAN IP to your AC3200.

Thanks for your post, the reason I set the static IP on ASUS is that even setting it to automatic I would still receive a IP inside the 192.168.0.0 range and I wanted to disable everything I could on the modem (nat, firewall, dhcp and etc). So enabling or not the automatic I would still get an internal ip. :(

The modem is this one:
http://www.humaxdigital.com/gw/products/product.php?gid=524&pid=1

And seems that there's no official way to turn it to bridge mode, but I found a workaround on another forum. (sorry, it's in portuguese. Couldn't find the same instrunctions in english)

http://forum.outerspace.terra.com.b...teador-humax-hg100r-l2-em-modo-bridge.390306/

And now, the real IP shows on the AC3200, and together the DDNS and NAT was fixed. Great. But now i see some random menssages like this one:

Jun 24 22:33:12 stop_nat_rules: apply the redirect_rules!
Jun 24 22:33:12 WAN Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly.
Jun 24 22:33:12 dnsmasq[29507]: started, version 2.73rc1 cachesize 1500

Jun 24 22:33:20 wan: finish adding multi routes

Jun 24 22:33:32 openvpn-routing: Allow WAN access to all VPN clients
Jun 24 22:33:32 rc_service: udhcpc 29522:notify_rc stop_pptpd
Jun 24 22:33:32 rc_service: waitting "start_vpnserver1" via udhcpc ...
Jun 24 22:33:32 WAN Connection: WAN was restored.

Don't know if is something I should worry, seems to work fine.

Thanks for your post, the reason I set the static IP on ASUS is that even setting it to automatic I would still receive a IP inside the 192.168.0.0 range and I wanted to disable everything I could on the modem (nat, firewall, dhcp and etc). So enabling or not the automatic I would still get an internal ip. :(

The modem is this one:
http://www.humaxdigital.com/gw/products/product.php?gid=524&pid=1

And seems that there's no official way to turn it to bridge mode, but I found a workaround on another forum. (sorry, it's in portuguese. Couldn't find the same instrunctions in english)

http://forum.outerspace.terra.com.b...teador-humax-hg100r-l2-em-modo-bridge.390306/

And now, the real IP shows on the AC3200, and together the DDNS and NAT was fixed. Great. But now i see some random menssages like this one:

Jun 24 22:33:12 stop_nat_rules: apply the redirect_rules!
Jun 24 22:33:12 WAN Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly.
Jun 24 22:33:12 dnsmasq[29507]: started, version 2.73rc1 cachesize 1500

Jun 24 22:33:20 wan: finish adding multi routes

Jun 24 22:33:32 openvpn-routing: Allow WAN access to all VPN clients
Jun 24 22:33:32 rc_service: udhcpc 29522:notify_rc stop_pptpd
Jun 24 22:33:32 rc_service: waitting "start_vpnserver1" via udhcpc ...
Jun 24 22:33:32 WAN Connection: WAN was restored.

Don't know if is something I should worry, seems to work fine.
Nope, nothing to worry about.