What's new

Setting up Router and Bridge with with a Cable Modem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Transer

Occasional Visitor
Hello, I went with Sparklight yesterday and supplied my own Modem, a Netgear CM1000v2. I connected my ASUS RT-AX68U router with Merlin Firmware to that, and am using 192.168.0.1 for the LAN IP with a subnet mask of 255.255.254.0, which is the same subnet as my modem. I can access the internet like this, but it shows that the internet status is disconnected on my ASUS router network map.

After that, I have an ethernet bridge in another room with another ASUS router with Merlin Firmware. I haven't been able to get the bridge working by choosing bridge mode and using the quick internet setup method which automatically assigns IP addresses for itself.

I had these same routers working with no issues at all with my AT&T setup behind the gateway NVG510 in the IP passthrough mode.

Here is what ipconfig shows for my cable modem.

I access my cable modem using 192.168.100.1.

Any hints or help getting this working correctly would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• My Modem.png
    My Modem.png
    102.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
which is the same subnet as my modem

You modem only device doesn't have LAN IP. It only has management IP - access to UI on 192.168.100.1.

Why did you change the Asus default LAN IP subnet mask 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.254.0, any specific reason?

haven't been able to get the bridge working

No changes to this device were needed. If it's in Media Bridge mode - it's a wireless client to your main router.

Post a screenshot of your WAN settings page on your main RT-AX68U router, perhaps something is wrong there.

Last edited:
You modem only device doesn't have LAN IP. It only has management IP - access to UI on 192.168.100.1.

Why did you change the Asus default LAN IP subnet mask 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.254.0, any specific reason?

No changes to this device were needed. If it's in Media Bridge mode - it's a wireless client to your main router.

Post a screenshot of your WAN settings page on your main RT-AX68U router, perhaps something is wrong there.
I misunderstood something I read about subnets and have changed it back to 255.255.255.0. I do believe changes were needed for the media bridge because my old setup was with ATT worked. Now it doesn't.

Attachments

• Wan 1.png
    Wan 1.png
    183.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Wan 2.png
    Wan 2.png
    88.9 KB · Views: 21
Changing your ISP with Automatic IP doesn't require any changes on your network. You just swap the modem and if the new one is activated - you get connected. Your Media Bridge is unrelated to your WAN issues. I don't know why your Asus router shows WAN disconnected. The WAN detection is ping and/or DNS query.

Changing your ISP with Automatic IP doesn't require any changes on your network. You just swap the modem and if the new one is activated - you get connected. Your Media Bridge is unrelated to your WAN issues. I don't know why your Asus router shows WAN disconnected. The WAN detection is ping and/or DNS query.
My AT&T modem/router was a gateway that I had to put in the IP pass-through mode. I followed specific instructions on that which included configuring my router to work with it. When I connected my sparklight modem, my old setup did not work. I changed my LAN IP address on the Asus to 192.168.0.1 and it started working. I believe it was 198.162.2.1 for my att

Last edited:
Your WAN settings are correct for ISP with Automatic IP from DHCP, unless this specific ISP has some special requirements or conditions I don't know about.

Your WAN settings are correct for ISP with Automatic IP from DHCP, unless this specific ISP has some special requirements or conditions I don't know about.
Something strange going on. I can't get any of my asus routers to work as a bridge. I have tried letting them detect, and also me assigning an IP. My wireless is working, so I assume they are connecting to that. When finished, they have no default gateway and I have to reset them.

Are you sure your Modem is connected to your router's WAN port?

Your Default Gateway for this Windows PC must be 192.168.0.1 - your router's LAN IP address.

1710012503777.png

What IP address is the Windows PC getting? Must be 192.168.0.x from your router's DHCP server.

Are you sure your Modem is connected to your router's WAN port?

Your Default Gateway for this Windows PC must be 192.168.0.1 - your router's LAN IP address.

View attachment 57057

What IP address is the Windows PC getting? Must be 192.168.0.x from your router's DHCP server.
Yes, my modem is going to my router's WAN and my router's LAN is going back to my PC.

My IPv4 is 192.168.0.xxx, my subnet mask is 255.255.255.0, and my default gateway is 192.168.0.1

Are your other wired and wireless clients working properly?

Is your main RT-AX68U router still showing WAN connection issue?

Everything seems to be working okay. Yes, status is still showing disconnected.

Yes, that is exactly how I have been setting my router's different modes for several years now. Today it does not seem to work. I have one R7000 with Fresh Tomato on it. I once used it as a bridge and will try it again.

Attachments

• Disconnected Status.png
    Disconnected Status.png
    84 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Okay, so my gateway disappeared on my Fresh Tomato router after I configured it for what I thought to be the correct wireless Ethernet bridge settings. Same with my other two routers. I have to reset them to get back in.

Your issue is most likely around you main router. Sparklight users report no issues with own modems and Asus routers. Reset and reconfigure if you can't diagnose the issue. I can't help you with the limited information provided. Another Asus router, your Fresh Tomato router, other two routers... no idea what's going on there, what they do on your network and how they are configured. Leave one router connected to your modem, disconnect everything else, fix the ISP connection issue first and go from there.

Your issue is most likely around you main router. Sparklight users report no issues with own modems and Asus routers. Reset and reconfigure if you can't diagnose the issue. I can't help you with the limited information provided. Another Asus router, your Fresh Tomato router, other two routers... no idea what's going on there, what they do on your network and how they are configured. Leave one router connected to your modem, disconnect everything else, fix the ISP connection issue first and go from there.
I just found that I can get into the Bridge mode with my 66bu Asus if I disconnect the modem while changing the operation mode to media bridge. I lose my gateway when I re-involve the modem and they bridge does not work. After disconnecting modem the gateway to the bridge is still missing, like it knocked it out forever.

I am going to use one of my other routers as the main and see what happens.

Switched routers and everything is working perfect. I let the R7000 configure itself as a router and the 66bu as a media bridge. I am going to compare the AX68U settings with what I have now on my R7000 and see what I can find. Thanks for your help, Tech9.

I still have no clue what do you need so many routers for, but... you're welcome! 😷

I still have no clue what do you need so many routers for, but... you're welcome.
I only needed two with my slow AT&T service. IMO, bridges are more stable than wireless at slow speeds, plus I needed a port for my POE injector. Not so much now concerning the speed, but I still need a POE port where my bridge is. I know there are options for that, but what I have works. As for the other routers, they were given by a friend.

All sorted out now?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!